Map Editor - can it be a thing?

I miss a map/asteroid editor in ONI. Sorry if there is something alike through modding and I don't know it.

I feel like there is so much potential for this feature in ONI. People could build and custom amazing asteroids tile by tile and then share with others to give it a try. We could create a map as a solid brick with no gaps filled with gasses for example. We could create our own POIs, all sort of positioning puzzle for geysers, etc...

Ofc you can make the same thing through debug, save it and play or send to someone but I feel there is something wrong with it? People can't get steam achievments and we'd have to skip the initial dupe picking? I'm a noob in regards of mods, debug tools, etc

There are some alternative asteroids in Steam workshop to download but not that many if we consider that the possibilities should've been very broad.

I apologize if this is way stupid and I'll appreciate any information on that front. I always wanted to ask for asteroid map editor but never felt like posting it because seems dumb.

I believe it would be a good value added to the game in the future and a very solid tool for content creation. Just like WCIII map editor created Dota, who knows what kind of amazing stuff could emerge from a tool like this. It amazes me I never saw someone mentioning such a thing. (Maybe because debug is strong enough or all this may be already possible and I'm totally missing it?)

Thoughts?

Just now, Oozinator said:

What would be the difference between - sandbox mode and map editor?

Well, you could handmade the map without ruining fog and let the player pick the initial dupes besides of being able to play fully in survival - selecting and customizing the difficulty like we regularly do.  All that without tag of sandbox in the file. Also could still have steam achievments maybe?

Not really a difference right? That's why we are so close of this editor and still don't have one. :p

6 hours ago, Junksteel said:

Ofc you can make the same thing through debug, save it and play or send to someone but I feel there is something wrong with it? People can't get steam achievments and we'd have to skip the initial dupe picking? I'm a noob in regards of mods, debug tools, etc

In addition the problems you mentioned, a custom asteroid created in such a way also looks off.  Different biomes have different hues to them, so when you tear down a slime biome (background hue of green) and build an ice biome (background hue of blue) in the same spot it looks off.

1 minute ago, goboking said:

In addition the problems you mentioned, a custom asteroid created in such a way also looks off.  Different biomes have different hues to them, so when you tear down a slime biome (background hue of green) and build an ice biome (background hue of blue) in the same spot it looks off.

You are right. It would be cool if the creator could have control over that and paint the background accordingly to the intention. It could create different hues from what we have in vanilla asteroids depending on the achieved interactions between tiles and background. It would be in fact easy to create different biomes with such a tool achieving refreshing results and specific moods with the content we already have available.

Archived