Deerclops is a she?

26 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

This is not being “changed right now.” It was years ago that the devs said in a stream that most of the giants were female, and players have been bringing it up here since then. People tend to call any animal who’s gender they don’t know “him,” for convenience sake, so there’s no need to stick to that like it’s the Bible or something. It’s a common mistake to call Clops “he” but you can hear plenty of informed, experienced DS streamers who know better and call her “she.”

Wolfgang: He looks mightier then me.

Maxwell: Even I'm afraid of that Guy.

Webber: He might be able to digest me!

Winona: Don't even think about it, you dumb lug!

Wurt: She not look happy, flurp.

so seeing from all this we can say that most of the survivors tend to call it a he with only Wurt calling it a She
(which I think is in a manner like men like to call their cars and big guns and possessions a she to treat them with respect etc)

but over all we can say that the Deerclops is quite manly since he doesn't even have eyelashes around his single eye and his characteristics over all seem masculine
(Moose/Goose has eyelashes which gives her quite the motherly/female look)

Spoiler

latest?cb=20140921134037

so in the end I would go with "it" to settle it.

also I consider Tigershark fully female and cute and her little kitties even cuter, fight me~

17 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

This is not being “changed right now.” It was years ago that the devs said in a stream that most of the giants were female, and players have been bringing it up here since then. People tend to call any animal who’s gender they don’t know “him,” for convenience sake, so there’s no need to stick to that like it’s the Bible or something. It’s a common mistake to call Clops “he” but you can hear plenty of informed, experienced DS streamers who know better and call her “she.”

In fairness, I didn't see that specific stream and that information's not on the wiki, or at least not on the individual mobs' pages or a collective page for boss monsters and I don't know where else to look. I heard it by word of mouth either here or on a DS discord enough times that I knew there had to be substance to it. If you don't spend much time talking about DS lore within the community it's easy to miss.

Maybe someone who did see the stream could at least give the stream number or the date of the stream so someone can add it to the wiki with a proper citation (like how Battlemaster Pugna's page says that he's originally from our world according to RwP #162, for example) or even better, add it to the Deerclops and Bearger's wiki pages themself.

6 minutes ago, Machine Reaper said:

so seeing from all this we can say that most of the survivors tend to call it a he with only Wurt calling it a She
(which I think is in a manner like men like to call their cars and big guns and possessions a she to treat them with respect etc)

but over all we can say that the Deerclops is quite manly since he doesn't even have eyelashes around his single eye and his characteristics over all seem masculine
(Moose/Goose has eyelashes which gives her quite the motherly/female look

Yeah it's established that some of the characters use masculine terminology for the Deerclops (although I don't think "lug" is gendered; that just means a big heavy thing) but this is the same world where WX-78 calls bees "him" even though 1) all real-world worker bees are female and 2) Woodie and Winona use "she" for the exact same mob. Just because a survivor uses a pronoun in-game doesn't mean it's the correct pronoun, especially when they don't even all use the same one. Sometimes the survivors are unreliable narrators, and Deerclops reproductive anatomy might not be easily distinguished.

Maxwell might be an exception to "the survivors are mostly just guessing", because he was heavily involved in shaping the Constant and its creatures into the way they are today, but that doesn't make him an expert on every single Deerclops that came afterwards -- especially since Charlie might have changed things about them, which would also allow for DST Deerclopses to be all-female even if male Deerclopses existed during Maxwell's reign -- nor does it necessarily grant him the insight to tell the sex of a rampaging Deerclops from a distance that keeps his fragile 75-hp old man bones safe.

5 minutes ago, Machine Reaper said:

(Moose/Goose has eyelashes which gives her quite the motherly/female look)

Reveal hidden contents

latest?cb=20140921134037

I would personally not use physical appearance as evidence for most arguments let alone this one. Also, your parenthetical point about males referring to their possessions as 'she' is contradicted by the fact that Wurt (the person who calls deerclops a 'she') is not male. 

I also want to reiterate that all of these seemingly contradicting pieces of evidence pointing to the deerclops being of a specific gender is completely explained by the argument that the deerclops are a whole species consisting of male and female variants. There's supporting evidence on page 3 of this thread for the species argument; it's a very quick read if you want to check it out.

@CameoAppearance , @Rinkusan

well I did end my argument with the word "it" cause lets be frank here, its a giant cyclops yeti with an obsession for destroying architecture and nothing else seems to be its purpose as of yet so we can't decide much further then this...also the "She" thing with Wurt can be explained below if you didn't understand.

Spoiler

Apparently the term was mostly exploited by Steve Irwin using it for anytype of vicious animal he found that he could wrestle with, its mostly used in respect with treating something badass and I gave example of men cause men mostly use it to describe their expensive cars, weapons and....gardening equipment/power tools sometimes. also this is just my own assumption that Wurt is using this.

1 hour ago, CameoAppearance said:

Deerclops reproductive anatomy might not be easily distinguished.

this also seems a very reasonable answer to the topic....lets end this here okay?

we do NOT want to go further then this please

Archived