Conveyor heat transfer in vacuum

2 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

I seem to observe that natural and built tiles directly below a conveyor get heat transfer from a horizontally running conveyor in vacuum, while those directly above do not. Is that accurate?

Yes.  As far as I know, items on conveyors appear to be treated like debris, and debris transfers heat to the tile below it.  I consider this a very odd behavior.

18 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

Yes.  As far as I know, items on conveyors appear to be treated like debris, and debris transfers heat to the tile below it.  I consider this a very odd behavior.

Thanks. It is quite odd. Probably only makes sense if code from debris was re-used.

1 hour ago, Zarquan said:

I had no idea, thanks for the info. One of the most unintuitive facts I've heard in a while.

The general rule of heat transfer is that everything trades heat with the "primary" tile layer (solid/liquid/gas). The primary layer then transfers heat to everything else.

It is odd that conveyors treat the items on it as true debris. It probably is a clue to the performance issues some people find with conveyors, but I can't speculate much beyond that.

9 hours ago, Gurgel said:

Well, I am currently ripping out most of my conveyors anyways. I had 70% of the regolith carried away that way, but this makes the game far to choppy.

Just rip out all your current conveyors and replace them with this, it will improve your lag by 9000%.  No longer will your game be choppy as your screen will just be frozen in place for minutes at a time.

Archived