Yet Another Possible Wendy Rework Post

Ok, let's get straight to it. Possible Wendy Stuff. Feel free to go off in another direction from any of this.

Wendy is "happy" with Abigail summoned. Abi provides buffs to Wendy as long as she is up and about. Here are some examples of what those buffs could be.

- Very slowly regen HP, due to "happiness". Like a few HP a minute or so.

- Food is more filling, better together.

- Much less sanity drain from the darkness, not so scary together.

- Attacks do normal or a little more than normal damage, protect what makes you "happy".

- Provides minor walk speed, not as much as a walking cane or walking on a path. Just so darn "happy".

- Provides little warmth or cooling. Cus' "happy"!

Wendy is "Sad" without Abigail. Debuffs when Abi is down and out.

- a little slower move speed, feeling "sad".

- food is not as filling, too "sad" to have an appetite.

- attacks don't do much damage, too "sad" to fight.

- loses more sanity in the darkness, the dark is extra scary alone!

- actions take a little longer to do, cus' "sad".

Possible Changes to Abigail.

- She already does not do much damage so either keep it as it is or make her do a little less.

- Her HP is already quite high to tank mobs after her so either keep it as well or If she will do less damage I'd say increase it a bit.

- Mobs hate her and are easily drawn to her, so much so that If Wendy goes near a mob they will aggro straight on Abi who isn't even in their aggro distance, lol. Provided she IS still near Wendy.

- You can control Abigail a bit, commands like "stay" and "follow". Fighting a mob near her breaks her out of "stay", so If you dont want her in the fight do not fight near her. "Follow" can break her away from whatever she is fighting and will get her to follow you again, as long as whatever she is fighting does not get her aggro again. Also, If Abi is very far away on "stay" and you use "follow" she will teleport to Wendys location.

Changes to Wendy

- I think she's fine as Is with the above listed buffs n' such. Maybe a unique craft but Idk.

Unsure stuff

- Not sure about this, but Abi takes 0 damage from all mobs or anything. Instead of damage, mobs attacks hits Wendys Sanity. The threshold for Nightmare attacks has increased from 30 or so to like 90. Nightmares CAN deal damage to Abi, possibly greater damage. Due to all this It might be a bit rough managing Sanity, It could make players try to avoid having Abi in fights all together.

- toys to appease and play with Abigail to keep her around. Either the toy trinkets or wendy can craft some. Toys have tiers. Better toys keep abi around longer. Or maybe Toys can do something else for Abigail.

- with some of these things, maybe a different way to summon abigail? Like I mentioned with toys, Wendy could craft something like a little altar and offer up toys or something, lol. Because if offering toys to Abigail are keeping her around on a timer of sorts then it should be easier to summon her I guess, probably with no penalty?

- Think of "A boy and his blob". But here it's "A girl and her ghost". Offering certain toys to Abigail can cause her to transform into things. A toy boat, a toy horse, a toy tool, a toy baseball bat, a toy tank lol, a toy box as an extra mobile chest, a toy house. lol.

Eh, that's all for now.

12 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Why can real players haunt stuff to change its appearance as a ghost but Wendy can’t Command Abigail to do the same??

People who are crying Wendy is fine and doesn’t need a Rework needs to sit and Seriously think about that..

Maybe cus' Abigail is a friendly ghost who doesnt haunt is why.

Also the powers that be to summon Abi left her with very limited abilities.

Wendy died in the constant and that grants her haunting powers but no attacking power. Sounds reasonable.

edit: and lol why can't we resurrect Abi's ghost? RULES OF THE CONSTANT!

I was going to add to change Wendys backstory to where Abigail died when they were just kids and Wendy has been in shock and trauma over it ever since, mourning over Abigail for many many years. Basically then she's an adult or whatever by now and still dresses and acts as she does because of Abis death and is lured into the Constant because there she can see Abigail again after so long, and that's all that matters to her.

"I'm not done playing with you Abigail".

That'd make those so inclined happy I guess. I don't care either way honestly, I just like her overall tone and mood. Her being kid or adult doesn't matter much.

Also, she always expresses happiness or sadness with a blank expression hence the apostrophes.

32 minutes ago, Soulor said:

Ok, let's get straight to it. Possible Wendy Stuff.

Wendy is "happy" with Abigail summoned. Abi provides buffs to Wendy as long as she is up and about. Here are some examples of what those buffs could be.

- Very slowly regen HP, due to "happiness". Like a few HP a minute or so.

- Food is more filling, better together.

- Much less sanity drain from the darkness, not so scary together.

- Attacks do normal or a little more than normal damage, protect what makes you "happy".

- Provides minor walk speed, not as much as a walking cane or walking on a path. Just so darn "happy".

- Provides little warmth or cooling. Cus' "happy"!

Wendy is "Sad" without Abigail. Debuffs when Abi is down and out.

- a little slower move speed, feeling "sad".

- food is not as filling, too "sad" to have an appetite.

- attacks don't do much damage, too "sad" to fight.

- loses more sanity in the darkness, the dark is extra scary alone!

- actions take a little longer to do, cus' "sad".

Possible Changes to Abigail.

- She already does not do much damage so either keep it as it is or make her do a little less.

- Her HP is already quite high to tank mobs after her so either keep it as well or If she will do less damage I'd say increase it a bit.

- Mobs hate her and are easily drawn to her, so much so that If Wendy goes near a mob they will aggro straight on Abi who isn't even in their aggro distance, lol. Provided she IS still near Wendy.

- You can control Abigail a bit, commands like "stay" and "follow". Fighting a mob near her breaks her out of "stay", so If you dont want her in the fight do not fight near her. "Follow" can break her away from whatever she is fighting and will get her to follow you again, as long as whatever she is fighting does not get her aggro again. Also, If Abi is very far away on "stay" and you use "follow" she will teleport to Wendys location.

Changes to Wendy

- I think she's fine as Is with the above listed buffs n' such. Maybe a unique craft but Idk.

Unsure stuff

- Not sure about this, but Abi takes 0 damage from all mobs or anything. Instead of damage, mobs attacks hits Wendys Sanity. The threshold for Nightmare attacks has increased from 30 or so to like 90. Nightmares CAN deal damage to Abi, possibly greater damage. Due to all this It might be a bit rough managing Sanity, It could make players try to avoid having Abi in fights all together.

- toys to appease and play with Abigail to keep her around. Either the toy trinkets or wendy can craft some. Toys have tiers. Better toys keep abi around longer. Or maybe Toys can do something else for Abigail.

- with some of these things, maybe a different way to summon abigail? Like I mentioned with toys, Wendy could craft something like a little altar and offer up toys or something, lol. Because if offering toys to Abigail are keeping her around on a timer of sorts then it should be easier to summon her I guess, probably with no penalty?

- Think of "A boy and his blob". But here it's "A girl and her ghost". Offering certain toys to Abigail can cause her to transform into things. A toy boat, a toy horse, a toy tool, a toy baseball bat, a toy tank lol, a toy box as an extra mobile chest, a toy house. lol.

Eh, that's all for now.

Well, I don't think this is a good idea for a reword and it will turn Wendy into an extremely gimmicky character.

Special problems are giving Wendy different states whether or not abigail is alive and increase aggro from mobs towards her for no good reason. 

I like Wendy because she's easygoing, to the point that, unless I plan on fighting anythign big, I can safely leave base without a weapon trusting abigail to take care of the lesser mobs, and the reduced sanity means I can forget about nigthmare creatures until I really feel like fighting them. Abigail feels like a small protector more than a powerhouse and a fair price to pay for the damage reduction, since while she can kill anything small she can't really take care of the bigger foes. And that's fine.

Turning her and abigail into a management simulator where I have to choose whether to be attacked more frequently by mobs or having a severe debuff would end up killing what I enjoy about the character. Judging by the debuffs of the reworks so far, characters debuffs are really frown upon. One gaze at all the Winona threads will really highlight that.

And really, Wendy is not that weak. Abigail has easy and reliable crowd control that no other character brings, and sanity stations are a thing. The introduction of beefalo riding made an easy way for Wendy a way to bypass her real weakness. She does have a place within all the different characters of Don't Starve, just a bit of a nitche one. Just make beefalos able to go through wormholes and sinkholes and I'd have no complains there (also, bring back beefalos ability to get into boats. You can still get there with a teleport staff, but is just not the same without the animation)

What I really want from a Wendy rework is: for abigail not to kill herself so often.

Abigail is one of the few mobs that didn't got buffed during the DS to DST transition alongside chester, glommer and maxwell's minions, as every other mob got their health doubled. This means she was one of the few mobs who got nerfed from this transition to accommodate for the bigger amount of players, since everything takes longer to die and abigail just attacks until she runs out of health

If you really want to add things to wendy the same way other characters got would be to add mechanics to abigail, and give her a buff like Bernie had. The ability to haunt graves and trees and flowers is nice, but, judging by Klei's previous reworks, I don't think they'd come up with just that. I'm just worried they're going to turn her into an extremely gimmicky character and I'll have to micromanage abigail even more.

What about giving unique abilities to each of the sisters, and allow them to switch bodies on a (near) whim.

Wendy (alive) > Abigail (ghost). Use Wendy's abilities to...*yada yada yada* 

Abigail (alive) > Wendy (ghost). Use Abigail's abilities to...*yada yada yada*

Would change little in terms of appearance, except for maybe their facial expressions considering they're identical twins.

Wendy needs to be a support class. Maybe give her a craftable that you can put down that heals in an area, similar to the staff found in the Forge. I'd also like to see more stuff relating to her relationship with death/the morbid. A crow in her inventory for a sanity boost maybe? What if she could befriend crows and use them to retrieve resources for her (crows are intelligent creatures and there is documentation of them working with humans for food/rewards) or use them to attack? I'd like her update to bring about the ability to do something with graves too. They're ugly stains on the world since you can't decorate them or get rid of them.

Oh I have a great idea!

Wendy have 200 health but have 150 health when Abigail alive. She is not powerful like old. She lost sanity when calling Abigail. She can kill Abigail with one hit but lost sanity when do it.

If you kill a mammalian to call wendy, she will turn a "Tank Ghost". Tank ghost have 2500 health,  40 damage and very slow speed. Using mammalian inside caves can cause earthquakes (It's dangerous). Tank ghost will trigger spider dents even she don't touch silk ground and all spiders will get out.

If you kill a bird to call wendy, she will turn a "Angel Ghost". Angel ghost have 250 health, dodge power , 50 damage and fast speed. Wendy will get little speed with her. If wendy die she will not drop items.

If you kill a bug to call wendy, she will turn a "Insect Ghost". Insect ghost have 50 health but not able to attack. It's will be hated by lizards (frogs, merms). Insect will glow and give mining/chopping speed but also scaring wendy (little kids scares from bugs normally). All mobs will drop one stone or one flint while die.

If you kill a lizard or a fish to call wendy she will turn "Wet Ghost". Wet Ghost have 100 health and 75 damage. Wendy can use her to controlling fishs, lizards and frogs. They will follow her if you want. Also if wendy drown she will not lost items. Also she will get dried faster.

i like the idea of specific kills changes abigails abil / btw can i use this in a mod/ but i think that wendy having 200 health is strange because  it may have some strange lore implication(abigial inside of wendy) which i don't think right. I'm not sure.

i don't think that people haunted by ghosts gain any physical strength

Might as well add my two cents to the ideal pool.

What I think could work to change Wendy would be to give abigal different forms, and have each suited for a different task

I come up with two ways for this to be implemented

First one, have abigail's flower decide its shape by whatever it was offered as a sacrifice. For example, if a non-hostile mob like a bunny or a butterfly was used as a sacrifice Abigail can just have a passive AoE effect, with less health and dealing no damage. And if killing a hostile mob like a spider or a hound summon abigail like normal. This implementation has the possibility of making some forms better than others, for example, killing a giant could offer you a benefit of a very powerful form of Abigail, with the drawback of not being able to summon her whenever you please.

The other way would be to use Abigail flower in a crafting recipe. For example, have her flower be used in a crafting recipe, and use it as the only ingredient in another Abigail flower, that will summon a different form of abigail when offered a sacrifice depending on which recipe you crafted.

This way you can increase the things she can do and buff her, without changing her nor her playstyle.

Also, give her a whistle effect, make Wendy hug her flower, and abigail feels her sister is lonely, stops whatever she's doing, like suiciding, and rush to her sister's side.
Klei has never added a character action that interacts with just the character itself, but one can dream.

Archived