Single player boats, when?

Can we have boats for one player? I don't ask for much, Log Raft and Row Boat is enough, using this big and clumsy boat to only get few kelps/trinkets/drifting logs near shore seems weird to me. Even if those two were in the game it would still be better to use bigger boat when getting to lunar island, exploring for longer time or gathering resources/fishing/moving players from one place to another. I would even be ok with making those smaller boats taking extra dmg on deeper waters or something, just give them to me.

I have to admit, it's very irritating to have trinkets spawn like a single tile away from the shore where they're too far away to grab but it would be way too much trouble to place a boat where you can reach them. You can't reel them in with a fishing rod, either; basically your only options are to place down a big unwieldy slow-moving boat (and that's if they don't spawn in a river where it's too narrow for boats) or put on a Lazy Forager just to clean up your map a little.

This is where I really wish I had Walani's surfboard from singleplayer: a small, speedy, maneuverable watercraft that can be put into the water and then removed from it and carried somewhere else.

I would really like some type of light boating available without such an investment.  Right now you need Science + Alchemy + Think Tank + Boat Kit to get in the water.  That's 52 logs just to get wet...  If you wanna outfit with a sail, steering wheel, and anchor that's another 28 logs on top of that.  And that's just the log count, we also need a lot of rope, stone, and other materials...

That's a lot to add to an already busy schedule.  Wilani is looking SO GOOD for DST right now lol

38 minutes ago, WoodieMain45684 said:

Come to think of it, I think there is a mod specifically for that.

Yup

I feel like a smaller boat would still have the same genral mechanics but be much faster and turn a lot easier and be smaller while retaining the same steering and rowing mechanics from the big boat. I think this becuase if they were copy pasted from SW, they would always be used unless they were unbearably slow. The reason that they would be easier to use is the because the resource requirment would be lower but the main one is that a SW style boat would give the player complete control compared to the clunky gradual paddling the big boat has. Having the system for both small and big boats would allow it differnciate and retain a standard of general difficulty between all boats, that being the rowing and sailling mechanics.

I think a lot of people misunderstood me when I wrote "single player" as single player boats with mechanics from DS SW, what I meant by "single" is "one person should be able to use it". But it is my fault for not being more specific about it.

1 hour ago, WoodieMain45684 said:

I would rather allow the use of fishing rod to pull close items to shore.

Or this. I even tried to do it before I knew that mod existed, the new sea fishing rod that was introduced fits it perfectly.

1 hour ago, Frashaw27 said:

I feel like a smaller boat would still have the same genral mechanics but be much faster and turn a lot easier and be smaller while retaining the same steering and rowing mechanics from the big boat.

Yes, I agree. But there is no reason to not port those and just strip them of SW (magical oar of perfect control) mechanics and apply DST rowing mechanic to them instead.

1 hour ago, Frashaw27 said:

I think this becuase if they were copy pasted from SW, they would always be used unless they were unbearably slow.

This is a reason why I picked Log Raft and Row Boat, oar mechanic is just perfect for those two.

There is a mod that adds SW components and boats to DST which really makes life easier. i agree when friends aren't online or if i just fancy playing solo, i don't go out on the sea as the big raft is good for multiple players but solo it's just too unwieldy.

Devs said they don’t plan to add any other types of boats, so we are just stuck with our giant chocolate cookie. But after I have built all the proper Boat Kit Items I don’t ever have a problem using a Boat Alone anyway.

(Tip: You can disable the sail and drop the anchor in the water and use a regular Boat Oar for more precise careful control)

Sadly I think the days of Shipwrecked boats have come and gone- But to be fair.. the only acted like Water shoes to move your character around with anyway.. they didn’t move around like boats, at least the Gigantic CookieBoats DO sort of move like boats.. -shrugs-

9 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Devs said they don’t plan to add any other types of boats, so we are just stuck with our giant chocolate cookie. But after I have built all the proper Boat Kit Items I don’t ever have a problem using a Boat Alone anyway.

I'm hoping a character-specific surfboard doesn't count as a boat for the purpose of that statement. >_>

Archived