How does map sharing work?

Hello,

we decided to do Winter in-game event with quest part, for that reason we needed to provide step by step map with a specific location on it (like shown on the screenshot below). I used TooManyItems plus mod to hide a map and after that teleported at all points, that we included. The problem appeared at the sharing time when I draw a map by the creative mode - testing person hid her own map and studied mine but nothing appeared. We tried to save (in consol c_save() ) before and after painting, disconnect from the server, despawn and other thing but all time the same problem - nothing is shown or only several points are there or those ones that were before hiding. Could, please, anyone explain how that map sharing and painting works? And many thanks for that person, who can help with our problem. Thanks a lot!

unknown.png

If the characters have already been to the areas on the map, then they will not get anything from it because the map scroll they learn has no "new" info. You may have to clear the players' stored map data to do this (I don't know the command for it tho. You could use c_despawn(), but then the characters would forget everything, including unlocked recipes, map exploration, and day count.)

If you just want them to visit a certain point you can use a mod that allows map pinging (e.g. global positions)

Thank for answers but that is not exactly what I needed. 

Map with those points should be stored in bundles until participants open them. So, they supposed to know the only portal area, everything else would be closed as for the new players that is. We tried to do same way - hide all map and learn map scroll but nothing happened or only one or two points were showed. And all the time something went wrong. 

I think the reason why your previous attempts have failed might be that hiding your map is not the same thing as joining a server as a new player without any information about the map. I haven't checked and won't check the code, so I can only speculate about that.

If you and your friends are planning to play as godmode moderators and not to follow the normal game rules and it won't matter if you lose everything you've learned so far, you could use the c_despawn() -command as S19TealPenguin said. After you and your test subject have respawned as new characters who know nothing, teleport to every location you want to have on your map, craft the map and let your test subject read it. I've done that multiple times, it should work.

If you'll need some recipes later on I have no other ideas but to prototype everything again.

Archived