Sailing hats (like in SW) for DST boats?

SW has set of special sailing hats, I am thinking what they might do for DST boats since sailing here is different, also we haven't seen much (any?) sailing hats for DST.

Some ideas:

1) Captain hat - wear one, be a real captain! increases steering wheel speed, thus boat will rotate faster.

2) Pirate hat - increases damage done by player while on boat or near the boat (1/2 screen distance?)

3) Sailor bandanna - allows to shut down masts with one click, increases speed of anchor rising.

4) Night binoculars - increases sight range, gives nightvision (like mole). Works only on boat.

All hats provide some protection from wetness/rain.

Misc:

1) Pirate hook - turns you into Captain Hook. Carrying a hook in inventory replaces hand with a hook. Gives some bonus? No idea.

I'm on board for a Spyglass equivalent in DST. I've only searched for the salt formations 1 time since it was all introduced, and it was a slog. Still haven't even been to the Lunar biome yet as sea travel is extremely unpleasant (just my opinion of course). Not sure about the night vision part, I think a simple cone of sight as in Shipwrecked would be enough.

On the topic of hats, I'd imagine Klei will introduce something to this effect (affect? I always mix these up), but I think 4 would be a bit much. I do like the Sailor Bandana though, maybe save the rest of the status boosts for ship craftables?

I think the reason hats did anything at all in DS Shipwrecked was because they had to be found or crafted in the game itself and degraded over time with use.

With DST it’s different, we now can have Hats, Heads, Shirts, Pants, Shoes and Other fancy accessories which are purely cosmetic and do nothing in terms of Gameplay therefore they don’t Degrade.

I imagine if Pirate/ captain hats are to be added to DST they will be the Purely Cosmetic versions 

1 hour ago, Desblat said:

1) Captain hat - wear one, be a real captain! increases steering wheel speed, thus boat will rotate faster.

2) Pirate hat - increases damage done by player while on boat or near the boat (1/2 screen distance?)

3) Sailor bandanna - allows to shut down masts with one click, increases speed of anchor rising.

4) Night binoculars - increases sight range, gives nightvision (like mole). Works only on boat

Captin hat: Its fine.

Pirate Hat can either be really broken or under used depending in how you use boats and your world gen.

Sailor Bandana: Not sure how wearing a piece of cloth makes a pieceof metal rise faster but its fine.

Night Binoculars: Im not really aure why this was put in here since it really doesn't fit with the boat theme but sure I guess?

Sailing hats would be nifty if they provided useful but not broken effects like the ones you listed above.

24 minutes ago, Frashaw27 said:

Captin hat: Its fine.

Pirate Hat can either be really broken or under used depending in how you use boats and your world gen.

Sailor Bandana: Not sure how wearing a piece of cloth makes a pieceof metal rise faster but its fine.

Night Binoculars: Im not really aure why this was put in here since it really doesn't fit with the boat theme but sure I guess?

Sailing hats would be nifty if they provided useful but not broken effects like the ones you listed above.

Night binoculars is a combo of spyglass and mole hat, it might be broken. It's just that longer sight range by itself seems not enough useful, and it alone won't help during night. (I want cave sailing lol)

Sailor bandana - it increases speed at wich you can spin anchor wheel to rize it, like making you more skilled sailor, it doesn't make sense like any sailing hat in SW.

I trying to think about hats multiplayer-wise. Like you have captain who steers the wheel he has special hat for that. You have seaman who takes care of mast and achor, he has hat that boost that. You have binocular-man who looks around and says if there are things of interest around. Teamplay is a key.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

I think the reason hats did anything at all in DS Shipwrecked was because they had to be found or crafted in the game itself and degraded over time with use.

With DST it’s different, we now can have Hats, Heads, Shirts, Pants, Shoes and Other fancy accessories which are purely cosmetic and do nothing in terms of Gameplay therefore they don’t Degrade.

I imagine if Pirate/ captain hats are to be added to DST they will be the Purely Cosmetic versions 

Title might be confusing lol, I am talking about equipable items, not skins. But some pirate inspired skins would be cool, especially mast with Jolly Roger on it!

1 hour ago, Desblat said:

I am talking about equipable items, not skins. But some pirate inspired skins would be cool, especially mast with Jolly Roger on it!

I think ever since boats were added a Jolly Roger design has been on just about everyone’s wishlist, but I want some pirate inspired Cosmetics, Like Pirates Cutlass that Reskins the Spear, A Pirate Parrot or shoulder monkey rock den pet (it would be cool if they could fetch small items for you Such as twigs, rocks and flint then return to your shoulder) A Pirates Treasure that reskins the storage chest to look like an open lid treasure chest filled with gold coins.

Captain hats, Eyepatches and Do-Rags (perhaps as skins for straw hat?)

But before we do all that... we need to focus on making a more life-like sea and make building a boat and going sailing play more of a roll in the game then it does currently. 

Please do note that I am NOT trying to have DST turned into a Strictly Pirate ship sailing sea shanty singing mini-game, that is Not the idea even in the slightest bit, all I want is for Building a Boat and exploring the waters of DST to play more of a significant roll in DST than simply to go to Lunar Island, Gather Salt or fight Malbatross.

(Xbox does not yet have the Hook, Line & Inker update so I’m judging this based entirely off what I am playing currently) but I’m hoping boat crafting extends to setting sail to new locations and also fishing out at sea.

I provided what I feel is an Excellent Idea on how I think Boats should be handled in DST over here in my own thread in the Suggestions and Feedback section of the forums- 

If you like the Idea please go and give it a like or thumbs up and maybe if it gets enough positive attention we can get Klei to add it to the game in some form or another.. 

Though on the idea of hats that improve your boating skills, I’m not sure if better boat kit items that serve those same purposes wouldn’t be better.

Such as faster steering wheel turning- you can equip mechanical paddles to the side of the ship (4 wood, 2 Electrical Doodads, 2 crafted Oars, 2 Cut Stone, 1 Rope) which once placed will turn the boat faster, Alternatively.. Crafting a Triple Sail- (A Mast with Three Sails on it instead of just the One) would make the boat move at a much faster rate of speed.

As for the Binoculars/Spyglass What about a Crows Nest someone can climb up into extending the range at which can be seen?

Ya know stuff like that, Upgrades to the Boat Itself rather than a hat you throw on that magically increases its performance for as long as the hat lasts.

Archived