My problem with the Tackle Receptacle and how so solve it.

Space. 

Space on my boat is super limited. For long voyages, I ideally need to fit a science machine, a crock-pot, an icebox and a campfire (plus the mast, steering wheel and anchor). There's also boats that are built to withstand seasons: lightning rods, ice flingomatic and an endothermic fire pits. 

And now there's an extra structure, that is HUGE and takes up a bunch of space and is essential for boating: The Tackle Receptacle.

My suggestion is to please think of an alternative here, because there's simply not enough room on the boat to place it. Placing it on land and having to go back and forth with your boat for it, is just really annoying and not effective.

I have two ideas on how to solve this: either make it smaller, so that that you can squeeze it in easier. Or, even better, make it a portable crafting station that you can fit in your inventory, like Maxwell's book. That way, no space on your boat is taken.

I just make the Tackle Receptable at my base and stock up on floats and bait before I head out to fish. All of the ingredients for the floats and bait are obtained from the main land so I spend a while farming them before I go to sail. With a backpack full of 5 of each kind of bait and 10 down feather floats, I went to my boat and sailed into the deep waters to fish. Came back with two and a half tin fishin' bins of fish, and lots of bait & floats to spare. I don't think it's necessary to build the Tackle Receptable on your boat.

Also, I don't think you need this many structures:

1 hour ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

I ideally need to fit a science machine, a crock-pot, an icebox and a campfire (plus the mast, steering wheel and anchor). There's also boats that are built to withstand seasons: lightning rods, ice flingomatic and an endothermic fire pits. 

I think the crock pot, fire pit, icebox and lightning rod are good structures to have the boat, the rest seem completely optional. You can carry a luxury fan on your boat in the event that you don't notice a wildfire sparking. You can use the icebox to cool down Thermal Stones, which makes them a pretty effective replacement for the Endothermic Firepit when it comes to sailing. I don't see why you'd need a science machine on a boat either. You can prototype everything at your base and put it in chests on the boat.

Also important to note that the order you place the structures matters: there's different categories of structures when it comes to placement. The majority of base-specific structures have a large minimum spacing distance, which means that you can't put them near other structures. You should place those first, putting them at as close to the edge of the boat as you can if you're going for a high number of structures. You can fit up to 8 of these.
Next up there's medium spacing, which, among other things, includes the steering wheel & anchor. You should place those after you've placed all of your large spacing structures. I've easily been able to fit both the anchor and steering wheel on a boat with 8 large-spacing structures.
After that, there's the medium-small spacing structures, which mainly includes Ice Boxes and Tin Fishin' Bins.You can fit quite a few of these after placing all of the previously mentioned structures. And then chests. And after chests, there's masts. The minimum spacing distance for masts is incredibly small: you can easily fit them between even medium-small spacing structures.

You can get a very packed boat if you place your structures in the correct order:
image.png.574d8fffc855fb8ee90f6269c8634920.png

You can swap out any of the 8 large structures on the sides of the boat with the Tackle Receptable (or other large spacing structures such as a birdcage, a wardrobe, a fish scale-o-matic, a beebox, a thermal measurer, etc). You can replace any of the tin fishin' bins with iceboxes. And also note that there's still a ton of space for chests and masts if you really want more. Done like this, you can place all the structures you wanted on your boat and more.

I don't make my boat with this many structures, though. I think it's a bit excessive. My boats usually just have a firepit, an icebox, a crockpot(?) and a lightning rod. I leave a Luxury Fan in the chests in case of an emergency.
image.png.209621d6c17e8af94b144c32af43e322.png

1 hour ago, Electroely said:

I just make the Tackle Receptable at my base and stock up on floats and bait before I head out to fish. All of the ingredients for the floats and bait are obtained from the main land so I spend a while farming them before I go to sail. 

That approach is sensible, but it just doesn't really work for my nomadic playlist. The fact that the ingredients are land based doesn't change much for me; when I sail I tend to stick close to the coasts so I can collect land resources, so what I do is anchor my boat, jump off, collect resources, jump back on and move on until I need more stuff). 

But let's say I was doing this and all the sudden I need to craft something with the Tackle Receptacle. I'd get the ingredients from the coast, but it would make more sense for me just to walk back to base (because boats are so much slower) and the once I get to base, I need to walk BACK to my boat. It really just undercuts the whole sailing experience.

It's something that solves itself once you learn all the recipes, but it's just unnecessarily tedious at first. 

Also, and I know this totally a niche...I'm someone that likes to make boat bases (that's why I have my science machine on there) and tries to be independent from land bases. Again, I know, that's a tiny niche. 

Also, I don't think you need this many structures:

I think the crock pot, fire pit, icebox and lightning rod are good structures to have the boat, the rest seem completely optional. You can carry a luxury fan on your boat in the event that you don't notice a wildfire sparking. You can use the icebox to cool down Thermal Stones, which makes them a pretty effective replacement for the Endothermic Firepit when it comes to sailing. I don't see why you'd need a science machine on a boat either. You can prototype everything at your base and put it in chests on the boat.

My only disagreement is with the science machine. I like to be able craft things on the go and not have to be tied to my land base.

And again, it kinda undercuts the sailing experience. Like let's say you find the ingredients for the cookie cutter cap and want to craft it, but your base with the science machine is on the other side of the map. It would make more sense for you to get off your boat and just walk, because it's so much faster.

Also, it's super annoying when you're sailing and you get a skin drop that you can't unlock until you get back to base (which is like, 5 days away by boat). So for me, a science machine on the boat is a must. 

I don't make my boat with this many structures, though. I think it's a bit excessive. My boats usually just have a firepit, an icebox, a crockpot(?) and a lightning rod. I leave a Luxury Fan in the chests in case of an emergency.

I agree, I don't like having a stuffed boat and I like having a space (especially if I'm gonna be sailing with other players). Annoyingly, I don't have any examples of a boat with a science machine.

My boats usually look like this, instead of a science machine, I have a birdcage (this is my own private server world). 

image.thumb.png.1ff76ea03fd15484f2b961406740a6d5.png

And in this world, I just didn't have anything resources to make a science machine because I joined a public server to close to Winter.

20191110215603_1.thumb.jpg.36fc26192cb3deb2451ad4b9a0b12760.jpg

That approach is sensible, but it just doesn't really work for my nomadic playlist. The fact that the ingredients are land based doesn't change much for me; when I sail I tend to stick close to the coasts so I can collect land resources, so what I do is anchor my boat, jump off, collect resources, jump back on and move on until I need more stuff). 

But let's say I was doing this and all the sudden I need to craft something with the Tackle Receptacle. I'd get the ingredients from the coast, but it would make more sense for me just to walk back to base (because boats are so much slower) and the once I get to base, I need to walk BACK to my boat. It really just undercuts the whole sailing experience.

It's something that solves itself once you learn all the recipes, but it's just unnecessarily tedious at first. 

Also, and I know this totally a niche...I'm someone that likes to make boat bases (that's why I have my science machine on there) and tries to be independent from land bases. Again, I know, that's a tiny niche. 

The thing about the Tackle Receptable's recipes is that they're all re-usable. You only need to craft more than one in the event that you mess up. I'm not saying you would only ever craft one and play like that, though. The point I'm trying to get at is that you can stock up on them and it's likely that they're going to last a long time, especially as you fish more and get better at the process.

I think "experience" is a subjective thing, so take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt, but: I think part of the sailing experience is bringing everything you'll need with you on your boat for a grand voyage. Gather everything you'll need to travel, and come back with new things to experiment with and use on land.

I also don't think it's intended to have many parts of a base on a boat. Its too small to conveniently carry a lot of structures, so part of the challenge of your niche playstyle is trying to figure out which ones to bring and which ones to build on land. I think making the Tackle Receptable smaller or portable would make it inconsistent with the rest of base structures for no clear reason.

2 hours ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

My only disagreement is with the science machine. I like to be able craft things on the go and not have to be tied to my land base.

And again, it kinda undercuts the sailing experience. Like let's say you find the ingredients for the cookie cutter cap and want to craft it, but your base with the science machine is on the other side of the map. It would make more sense for you to get off your boat and just walk, because it's so much faster.

Also, it's super annoying when you're sailing and you get a skin drop that you can't unlock until you get back to base (which is like, 5 days away by boat). So for me, a science machine on the boat is a must. 

Here's my point of view of the cookie cutter thing: I go out into the sea, collect some strange new resources. I put them in storage on my boat until I get back home to figure out what I can do with them (at the alchemy engine).

I do think it's kind of annoying that you can't open skin drops while sailing if you don't have a science machine on your boat, but I feel that that's an issue related to skin drops rather than boats themselves (if you get a skin drop while in the ruins, for example, who knows how long you have until you get back to the nearest science machine?). I find that there's already plenty of time to get all skin drops (assuming I'm getting them all... there's no indicator).

2 hours ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

I agree, I don't like having a stuffed boat and I like having a space (especially if I'm gonna be sailing with other players). Annoyingly, I don't have any examples of a boat with a science machine.

My boats usually look like this, instead of a science machine, I have a birdcage (this is my own private server world).

[pics]

I think stuffed boats are annoying too. That's why I only carry what'll be most useful/necessary for trips on my boat. I think an upgrade to your boat could look something like this:
image.png.c568d520996133a6dc52d5fade647b79.png

I think it still has plenty of room to stand, move and walk around. I placed the structures in  a way to make sure none of them stick off the side of the boat (which I think makes the boat look kind of ugly overall). I also made sure you can run circles around the edge of the boat, since I find it annoying whenever I have to walk around a structure to get to a specific side of the boat. 

5 hours ago, Electroely said:

The thing about the Tackle Receptable's recipes is that they're all re-usable. You only need to craft more than one in the event that you mess up. I'm not saying you would only ever craft one and play like that, though. The point I'm trying to get at is that you can stock up on them and it's likely that they're going to last a long time, especially as you fish more and get better at the process.

I think "experience" is a subjective thing, so take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt, but: I think part of the sailing experience is bringing everything you'll need with you on your boat for a grand voyage. Gather everything you'll need to travel, and come back with new things to experiment with and use on land.

I also don't think it's intended to have many parts of a base on a boat. Its too small to conveniently carry a lot of structures, so part of the challenge of your niche playstyle is trying to figure out which ones to bring and which ones to build on land. I think making the Tackle Receptable smaller or portable would make it inconsistent with the rest of base structures for no clear reason.

Here's my point of view of the cookie cutter thing: I go out into the sea, collect some strange new resources. I put them in storage on my boat until I get back home to figure out what I can do with them (at the alchemy engine).

I do think it's kind of annoying that you can't open skin drops while sailing if you don't have a science machine on your boat, but I feel that that's an issue related to skin drops rather than boats themselves (if you get a skin drop while in the ruins, for example, who knows how long you have until you get back to the nearest science machine?). I find that there's already plenty of time to get all skin drops (assuming I'm getting them all... there's no indicator).

I think stuffed boats are annoying too. That's why I only carry what'll be most useful/necessary for trips on my boat. I think an upgrade to your boat could look something like this:
image.png.c568d520996133a6dc52d5fade647b79.png

I think it still has plenty of room to stand, move and walk around. I placed the structures in  a way to make sure none of them stick off the side of the boat (which I think makes the boat look kind of ugly overall). I also made sure you can run circles around the edge of the boat, since I find it annoying whenever I have to walk around a structure to get to a specific side of the boat. 

I really appreciate that you took the time to help a novice don't starve player who is trying to run a gimmick and getting frustrated.

My only criticism of the (although aesthetically pleasing and functional) boat you designed for them is that it only has one sail when they specifically have issues with boats being slow.

You 100% gave them what they asked for, but when a member of our community has limited mechanical understanding sometimes it's better to try to teach them why they're asking the wrong question.  In this case, the wrong question is "how do I fit a tackle receptacle on my boat?" when the question they really need answered is "what's the best setup for a nomadic boat base?"

47 minutes ago, Toros said:

I really appreciate that you took the time to help a novice don't starve player who is trying to run a gimmick and getting frustrated.

My only criticism of the (although aesthetically pleasing and functional) boat you designed for them is that it only has one sail when they specifically have issues with boats being slow.

You 100% gave them what they asked for, but when a member of our community has limited mechanical understanding sometimes it's better to try to teach them why they're asking the wrong question.  In this case, the wrong question is "how do I fit a tackle receptacle on my boat?" when the question they really need answered is "what's the best setup for a nomadic boat base?"

I'm not sure if they can be referred to as a "novice" player; They've joined the forums in 2014. I feel uncomfortable making such an assumption.

I find boats to be pretty slow regardless of whether or not they have one sail or multiple, though I see your point. I've mentioned in my first reply that masts can be placed between practically any two structures; I don't think they'll have a problem adding more masts to the boat if necessary. Getting 24 silk can be pretty grindy early on (I always think of "multiple masts" as 3), so I understand if they may be starting out with 1 mast and moving onto multiple. The design I made is basically a rearrangement of their boat design (based off the first screenshot) but with an added Tackle Receptable and Tin Fishin' Bin.

Though the slow speed of boats may be contributing to the problem, I feel that the main solution to not being able to fit a Tackle Receptable onto a boat is to make the bait & floats before heading onto the boat at all. They last long enough for a single trip to the station every once in a while to suffice.

I'm not sure if they can be referred to as a "novice" player; They've joined the forums in 2014. I feel uncomfortable making such an assumption.

I find boats to be pretty slow regardless of whether or not they have one sail or multiple, though I see your point. I've mentioned in my first reply that masts can be placed between practically any two structures; I don't think they'll have a problem adding more masts to the boat if necessary. Getting 24 silk can be pretty grindy early on (I always think of "multiple masts" as 3), so I understand if they may be starting out with 1 mast and moving onto multiple. The design I made is basically a rearrangement of their boat design (based off the first screenshot) but with an added Tackle Receptable and Tin Fishin' Bin.

Though the slow speed of boats may be contributing to the problem, I feel that the main solution to not being able to fit a Tackle Receptable onto a boat is to make the bait & floats before heading onto the boat at all. They last long enough for a single trip to the station every once in a while to suffice.

I used the word “novice” as a skill category because “casual player” tends to carry a more negative connotation I didn’t intend.  There’s no obligation to understand a game’s mechanics to enjoy it.

However, the tradeoff is that when someone doesn’t have a strong grasp of mechanics despite hours played they can struggle if put in an unfamiliar situation.  In this case, inefficient prioritization of structures in limited space and inefficient order of placement based on required space at placement.

One of my hobbies is lifting weights, and there’s a popular chart of strength standards for given weights broken into categories (untrained/novice/intermediate/advanced/expert) and while there’s typical ranges for experience lifting and categories those aren’t hard and fast.  Despite lifting a few times a week for years some of my lifts are only intermediate because I don’t train some body parts (aka legs) consistently enough.

I agree with you that you’re better off loading up on lures and bobbers before setting sail, but also feel like between 2014 and now is more than enough time to learn how to swap thermal stones with a fridge to keep cool instead of an endothermic firepit when space is limited.

19 minutes ago, Toros said:

I used the word “novice” as a skill category because “casual player” tends to carry a more negative connotation I didn’t intend.  There’s no obligation to understand a game’s mechanics to enjoy it.

However, the tradeoff is that when someone doesn’t have a strong grasp of mechanics despite hours played they can struggle if put in an unfamiliar situation.  In this case, inefficient prioritization of structures in limited space and inefficient order of placement based on required space at placement.

One of my hobbies is lifting weights, and there’s a popular chart of strength standards for given weights broken into categories (untrained/novice/intermediate/advanced/expert) and while there’s typical ranges for experience lifting and categories those aren’t hard and fast.  Despite lifting a few times a week for years some of my lifts are only intermediate because I don’t train some body parts (aka legs) consistently enough.

I agree with you that you’re better off loading up on lures and bobbers before setting sail, but also feel like between 2014 and now is more than enough time to learn how to swap thermal stones with a fridge to keep cool instead of an endothermic firepit when space is limited.

This is like... the saddest message I've ever seen ever.

Cool story buddy. 

9 hours ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

Cool story buddy. 

Obviously you’ve never read your own suggestions... which actually would explain a lot.

I didn’t know it was possible to get 3 likes and 63 confused reactions on a post before you proved it was possible.

1 hour ago, Toros said:

Obviously you’ve never read your own suggestions... which actually would explain a lot.

I didn’t know it was possible to get 3 likes and 63 confused reactions on a post before you proved it was possible.

What I'll say is this, please try to be less condescending towards members in the future. This is not the first time I've seen you behave this way towards members of this community and you've be called out on it before. 

You play the game a lot, that's great, and you're clearly very passionate about it, that's also great, but the way you talk down to people is a problem. Tone down the arrogance, try to be a little less patronising and try to be a bit more respectful in the future. 

No one doubts you have positive intentions, and that’s fantastic, but right now it's manifesting itself in a negative way and you risk alienating the rest of us.

I think we’re done here. Hopefully you will take this as honest and critical feedback. Let’s hope we can all self-improve and deliver better in the future.

11 hours ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

Cool story buddy. 

I want to be clear that this is the post you posted before trying to pretend to take the high road, in case anyone is confused.

27 minutes ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

What I'll say is this, please try to be less condescending towards members in the future. This is not the first time I've seen you behave this way towards members of this community and you've be called out on it before. 

You play the game a lot, that's great, and you're clearly very passionate about it, that's also great, but the way you talk down to people is a problem. Tone down the arrogance, try to be a little less patronising and try to be a bit more respectful in the future. 

No one doubts you have positive intentions, and that’s fantastic, but right now it's manifesting itself in a negative way and you risk alienating the rest of us.

I think we’re done here. Hopefully you will take this as honest and critical feedback. Let’s hope we can all self-improve and deliver better in the future.

I have been rude and condescending to forum users in the past, and it’s something I’m actively working on.  Part of that has been less forum engagement, and part of that has been being very careful to not be too harsh with my criticism.

You make a lot of suggestions, many of which could be generously described as “wildly unpopular.”  I want people to make suggestions for how to make DST better, because Klei takes feedback to heart and makes changes most of the time.

However, because Klei listens we have a responsibility to fairly critique those suggestions.  I don’t believe that you being unable to fit a tackle receptacle is anything more than a personal skill limitation for a niche gimmick.  It only affects people trying to do boat bases and those people who don’t understand how to order placement to be able to fit far more than the necessary structures for a boat base.  @Electroely was kind enough to walk you through several solutions to your problem that already exist in-game.

It’s very difficult to make good suggestions without a strong mechanical understanding of the game.  I don’t want to discourage you from continuing to make weekly suggestions, but I do believe if you did more research and understood mechanics better they would be better received.  

Everyone benefits from informed suggestions getting large amounts of community support, and I will gladly celebrate with you if that day comes.

1 minute ago, Toros said:

I want to be clear that this is the post you posted before trying to pretend to take the high road, in case anyone is confused..

It's not about taking the high road, it's about acknowledging where we can improve. At first, I wasn't sure how to take your comments. Stuff like this:

11 hours ago, Toros said:

Is just rude, wrong and mean-spirited. So I apologise if my initial response to that was dismissive. I also cringed rather hard at your comments on weight lifting. Regarding the rest of your post:

4 minutes ago, Toros said:

You make a lot of suggestions, many of which could be generously described as “wildly unpopular.”  I want people to make suggestions for how to make DST better, because Klei takes feedback to heart and makes changes most of the time.

I stand by literally every suggestion I've ever made. Sometimes, I'm wrong. I'm happy to admit that, but I wouldn't change my posts. They are opportunities to discuss and see different perspectives, even if you don't agree with them.

8 minutes ago, Toros said:

However, because Klei listens we have a responsibility to fairly critique those suggestions.  I don’t believe that you being unable to fit a tackle receptacle is anything more than a personal skill limitation for a niche gimmick.  It only affects people trying to do boat bases and those people who don’t understand how to order placement to be able to fit far more than the necessary structures for a boat base.

There's a lot of things I disagree with you in this statement. The first, you can dismiss my complaint as a 'personal skill limitation', but I don't feel that's a fair critique. I take delicate care in how I place my structures on the boat, and I try to find a balance between what's technically possible while also trying to a) have the boat be aesthetically pleasing b) have enough space to be able to move around in the boat, so that it's not terribly annoying to use. You're making assumptions that I just don't know what I'm doing, which is part of this arrogance you have that I've discussed in my previous post. 

"It only affects people trying to do boat bases" I don't think that's fair cause for dismissal. 

"who don’t understand how to order placement to be able to fit far more than the necessary structures for a boat base." I do understand order placement. I place my science machine, firepits and similar structures before placing my masts, anchors and steering wheels. Again, you're making assumptions. I also don't use geometric placement or other 'better placement' mods that facilitate these builds (not suggesting @Electroelydoes or that there's any problems in doing so). 

18 minutes ago, Toros said:

It’s very difficult to make good suggestions without a strong mechanical understanding of the game.  I don’t want to discourage you from continuing to make weekly suggestions, but I do believe if you did more research and understood mechanics better they would be better received.  

Two things, I have the sufficient understanding of this game to make critiques. When you say "strong mechanical understanding of the game", I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this. Are you talking about code? 

Secondly, even if I wasn't the biggest pro in the world (which I'm happy to admit that I'm not), my opinions and critiques still matter. Anyone's experience with the game is important, regardless of how much knowledge they have of it. If a new player has a problem with the game, it's not useless information for Klei to be aware of that and see if changes can be made to improve the game for everyone. If the only way I can place structures on a boat is to 'have a strong mechanical understanding' on how structure placement works, then maybe there's a problem with that?

EDIT: Just want to add.

12 hours ago, Toros said:

What's even more annoying about this comment, is that I've never even made a summer boat. I mentioned boats having Ice Flingomatics and Endothermic Fires, because I've seen them be used by other players, both on these forums and in the game in public servers.

So please stop making assumptions.

It's not about taking the high road, it's about acknowledging where we can improve. At first, I wasn't sure how to take your comments. Stuff like this:

Is just rude, wrong and mean-spirited. So I apologise if my initial response to that was dismissive. I also cringed rather hard at your comments on weight lifting. Regarding the rest of your post:

I stand by literally every suggestion I've ever made. Sometimes, I'm wrong. I'm happy to admit that, but I wouldn't change my posts. They are opportunities to discuss and see different perspectives, even if you don't agree with them.

There's a lot of things I disagree with you in this statement. The first, you can dismiss my complaint as a 'personal skill limitation', but I don't feel that's a fair critique. I take delicate care in how I place my structures on the boat, and I try to find a balance between what's technically possible while also trying to a) have the boat be aesthetically pleasing b) have enough space to be able to move around in the boat, so that it's not terribly annoying to use. You're making assumptions that I just don't know what I'm doing, which is part of this arrogance you have that I've discussed in my previous post. 

"It only affects people trying to do boat bases" I don't think that's fair cause for dismissal. 

"who don’t understand how to order placement to be able to fit far more than the necessary structures for a boat base." I do understand order placement. I place my science machine, firepits and similar structures before placing my masts, anchors and steering wheels. Again, you're making assumptions. I also don't use geometric placement or other 'better placement' mods that facilitate these builds (not suggesting @Electroelydoes or that there's any problems in doing so). 

Two things, I have the sufficient understanding of this game to make critiques. When you say "strong mechanical understanding of the game", I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this. Are you talking about code? 

Secondly, even if I wasn't the biggest pro in the world (which I'm happy to admit that I'm not), my opinions and critiques still matter. Anyone's experience with the game is important, regardless of how much knowledge they have of it. If a new player has a problem with the game, it's not useless information for Klei to be aware of that and see if changes can be made to improve the game for everyone. If the only way I can place structures on a boat is to 'have a strong mechanical understanding' on how structure placement works, then maybe there's a problem with that?

EDIT: Just want to add.

What's even more annoying about this comment, is that I've never even made a summer boat. I mentioned boats having Ice Flingomatics and Endothermic Fires, because I've seen them be used by other players, both on these forums and in the game in public servers.

So please stop making assumptions.

Quick point of clarification:

What happened to the thread where you suggested DST would be better off if Woodie was the last rework?  I know that I commented in it but I can’t find it on the forums.  If you stand behind every suggestion then I can’t imagine you’d delete it, and if it was deleted by a mod I’d want to make a complaint about censorship (through appropriate channels, of course).

I absolutely support your right to make suggestions and provide critique.  The forums are immensely better if people are not too scared to share their honest opinions.

That said, I’m confused why this thread exists.  You claim that you understand placement ordering, which means you should be able to fit quite a few additional structures on a boat, and I think Electroely did a great job in making some examples of aesthetic and functional boat bases.  Given your experience and skill, wouldn’t you have been able to easily find a similar solution on your own while testing?

2 hours ago, Toros said:

Quick point of clarification:

What happened to the thread where you suggested DST would be better off if Woodie was the last rework?  I know that I commented in it but I can’t find it on the forums.  If you stand behind every suggestion then I can’t imagine you’d delete it, and if it was deleted by a mod I’d want to make a complaint about censorship (through appropriate channels, of course).

I think you're referring to the "We don't need anymore Reworks" thread? I didn't delete it. I closed the thread because it got derailed, to the point where it was over 10 pages long and the discussion wasn't even about the topic anymore. At the time, I thought that was the responsible thing to do, but the thread should still be visible? I don't think deleting posts is possible, it needs to be done by a mod I believe.

Also, you'd be surprised to know, I still stand by what I said in that post. I don't like the Woody rework. I don't like the changes it makes to the lore and I find the changes bring more problems than they solve. 

But I don't want to derail this post, if you want to discuss with me Woody's mechanic, feel free to DM me.

2 hours ago, Toros said:

That said, I’m confused why this thread exists.  You claim that you understand placement ordering, which means you should be able to fit quite a few additional structures on a boat, and I think Electroely did a great job in making some examples of aesthetic and functional boat bases.  Given your experience and skill, wouldn’t you have been able to easily find a similar solution on your own while testing?

I think my argument can be summarised like this: "It's annoying that I need to waste space on my boat for an additional structure". Can I squeeze it onto my boat? @Electroely proved that you can (although it's just occurred to me that there's no lighting rod on his example, but I think you could fit it in). That doesn't disprove my argument though. I would still rather use that space for something else.

It's also not important enough to warrant space on my boat; the purpose of the structure is not important enough for it to take priority over other structures (for example, I'd rather use that space for a birdcage).

I think maybe you should consider the question - Why does it have to be an additional structure? Why can it not be a portable one, like Maxwell's book? How would that not be a benefit for boat construction?

The solution that you're asking for, is to build this structure on land and craft the items before heading out. Which is fair enough. I have my own niche reasons why that is an annoying mechanic, but I've already stated them. 

Also, you're talking to me as if I'm the first to bring up how limited space on boats can be. Multiple people have discussed this on forums and servers. I don't know why this concept is so offensive to you. 

There's one last thing I'd like to say to you Toros. Before you commented, the conversations that were being held here were really productive and healthy. You destroyed that. You came in and attacked me, and you're still trying to find angles to do that (i.e. referring to me "My Rework" post). Please in future, can you please just focus on the topic and not try to sneak in nasty comments of the OP? 

And when you're replying to me, see if you can put that into practice. See if you can remain on topic in future posts and try not to attack people's character, so that we can instead have a healthy and constructive conversation about this game.

55 minutes ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

I think you're referring to the "We don't need anymore Reworks" thread? I didn't delete it. I closed the thread because it got derailed, to the point where it was over 10 pages long and the discussion wasn't even about the topic anymore. At the time, I thought that was the responsible thing to do, but the thread should still be visible? I don't think deleting posts is possible, it needs to be done by a mod I believe.

Also, you'd be surprised to know, I still stand by what I said in that post. I don't like the Woody rework. I don't like the changes it makes to the lore and I find the changes bring more problems than they solve. 

But I don't want to derail this post, if you want to discuss with me Woody's mechanic, feel free to DM me.

I think my argument can be summarised like this: "It's annoying that I need to waste space on my boat for an additional structure". Can I squeeze it onto my boat? @Electroely proved that you can (although it's just occurred to me that there's no lighting rod on his example, but I think you could fit it in). That doesn't disprove my argument though. I would still rather use that space for something else.

It's also not important enough to warrant space on my boat; the purpose of the structure is not important enough for it to take priority over other structures (for example, I'd rather use that space for a birdcage).

I think maybe you should consider the question - Why does it have to be an additional structure? Why can it not be a portable one, like Maxwell's book? How would that not be a benefit for boat construction?

The solution that you're asking for, is to build this structure on land and craft the items before heading out. Which is fair enough. I have my own niche reasons why that is an annoying mechanic, but I've already stated them. 

Also, you're talking to me as if I'm the first to bring up how limited space on boats can be. Multiple people have discussed this on forums and servers. I don't know why this concept is so offensive to you. 

There's one last thing I'd like to say to you Toros. Before you commented, the conversations that were being held here were really productive and healthy. You destroyed that. You came in and attacked me, and you're still trying to find angles to do that (i.e. referring to me "My Rework" post). Please in future, can you please just focus on the topic and not try to sneak in nasty comments of the OP? 

And when you're replying to me, see if you can put that into practice. See if you can remain on topic in future posts and try not to attack people's character, so that we can instead have a healthy and constructive conversation about this game.

Closing the thread seems to have removed it.  I don’t see it in your history, in my history, or via google search (link is found but generates an error on the forums)

One solution is to craft/hammer the structure as needed so you don’t waste space for the rare times you need it.

One downside with making it a portable structure (like Max’s book) is that requires additional code and art and would diverge from how crafting structures are generally made.  Max’s book is an exception but given the versatility of shadow clones and the easy recycling it makes sense.  You’d expect max to make shadows more often than you’d expect to make lures.

I’m not convinced fitting a lure station on a boat is an issue worthy of retooling, but I also don’t see any non-gimmick reason to make a nomadic boat base either.

I don't know what's the "enigma" here: forum has the option to hidden posts, but not delete them - it's a feature both users and moderators can use at their discretion for whatever reason and that's that. Also when "argumentation" slips into ad hominem you know you have a... "quality debate" right there, some strong 'n' ripe discussion, mmmhm!

As for the collision box of Tackle Receptacle, yeah, maybe a smaller one would be more ok, and not just for the Tackle - Fridge also comes to mind when placed first. Realistically though, I doubt any change would go into that area of the game regarding present complaint...

Honestly I would like if most buildings had their placement restriction zone cut in half, or somewhere closer to the space that the buildings actually prevent movement through.
On boats or land. Would make kitchen setup easier.

People would jam buildings together, certainly...but as mentioned above, there's already a whole system people use to maximize jamming, haha.

Archived