How much stress does poor morale cause?

I do think it is proportional and it does seem that way.  I will sometimes choose to have a dupe with 5/6 or 15/16 morale and manage their stress as it seems to go up at around the same rate, however, the 15/16 dupe has a potentially higher deviance from the mean, so that dupe is much more likely to get higher stress than the 4/5 dupe would just because the dupe can't always take advantage of the time consuming stress relief stuff, like taking a shower or using an arcade machine.

4 hours ago, Craigjw said:

I do think it is proportional and it does seem that way.  I will sometimes choose to have a dupe with 5/6 or 15/16 morale and manage their stress as it seems to go up at around the same rate, however, the 15/16 dupe has a potentially higher deviance from the mean, so that dupe is much more likely to get higher stress than the 4/5 dupe would just because the dupe can't always take advantage of the time consuming stress relief stuff, like taking a shower or using an arcade machine.

That seems the reverse of how I was thinking.  I was thinking that a dupe that expects 16 but only has 15 would have his stress go up very slowly, and so would only occasionally need to visit the massage table, but a dupe that wants 5 and only has 4 would have his stress go up faster.

Since you mention arcade machine, that doesn't directly reduce stress, but grants a morale boost of +2, a dupe that sometimes uses it could fluctuate between 15/15 ( no stress change ) and 13/15 ( gaining stress ).  I can certainly see some of the other things that maybe give +4 morale causing more wild fluctuations in stress depending on whether they use them or not, but I'm wondering if their morale is constant, will they build up stress at a different rate whether they are 4/5 or 14/15 even though they are both net -1?

It's probably based on a per point basis, for every 1 point below morale = % stress change considering it shows you the % of stress gained or lost on the dupes stats it wont be hard to find out, which would make the most sense, a dupe that needs 15 but only has 5 should be more stressed out than a dupe that needs 6 but only has 2. so a dupe on 5/6 and 14/15 would be the same.

Archived