Blocked pipe?

I noticed that my output pipe for my lavatory was blocked, causing the water sieve to also say that there's a pipe blocked. The temporary solution I've come up with was to build some outhouses and some washbasins while the rest gets sorted out. I'm pretty new to the game, so I've never run across this problem before. If anyone could give me some tips, that would be great, thanks in advance! 

blocked pipe.jpg

Your lavatory output is blocked because the polluted water has nowhere to go.  The polluted water has nowhere to go because its output (water pipe) is completely full and you have nowhere for water to drain out at the moment.  The only way for water exiting your Sieve to be used up is for someone to use the Lavatory.

Are you going for some kind of self sustainable bathroom?  Personally, I don't do that but it does save on electricity.  If you are not and you just simply want this to work, connect the sink water pipe to the lavatory water pipe, then have the Sieve's output go back into the pool of water you're pumping out of using a liquid vent.

Untitled.png

Something to keep in mind with the lavatory, they output more polluted water than the clean water input.  Input: 5 kg water

Output: 11.7 kg polluted water

This means you won't be able to use a closed loop, as the polluted water will back up.  Reservoirs are a temp fix, they will fill over time, and back up the pipes.  You can use the time reservoirs buy you to build a more permanent solution though.  Also, piping the sieved water into your clean water source will infect your clean water with food poisoning germs.

4 hours ago, LookingForBaal said:

Your lavatory output is blocked because the polluted water has nowhere to go.  The polluted water has nowhere to go because its output (water pipe) is completely full and you have nowhere for water to drain out at the moment.  The only way for water exiting your Sieve to be used up is for someone to use the Lavatory.

Are you going for some kind of self sustainable bathroom?  Personally, I don't do that but it does save on electricity.  If you are not and you just simply want this to work, connect the sink water pipe to the lavatory water pipe, then have the Sieve's output go back into the pool of water you're pumping out of using a liquid vent.

Untitled.png

Don't forget: Sieves only filter out gunk, they don't touch bacteria.  So the lavatory water cleaned by the sieve will have food poisoning bacteria in it.  If you use that water in a water fountain, your dupes will get food poisoning.

3 hours ago, thewreckedangle said:

image.png.3f6f7a0f52a914bb8b894752612d43d6.png

if you pop a reservoir on each side (so goes: in the res, then out to the sieve, out of the sieve into to res and then to the consumers ) you get a buffer for each side for these kinds of situations and to prevent issues if you run out of power for the sieve temporarily

Thanks for the tip! I'll be sure to use this mechanism on my next run.

34 minutes ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

Don't forget: Sieves only filter out gunk, they don't touch bacteria.  So the lavatory water cleaned by the sieve will have food poisoning bacteria in it.  If you use that water in a water fountain, your dupes will get food poisoning.

How can I disinfect the water and filter it? Should I make another system for water fountains?

30 minutes ago, BlackRosee said:

How can I disinfect the water and filter it? Should I make another system for water fountains?

These are both good questions.  The first is answered in this thread: 

This is not the only option, there are many out there.

Your second question: That's up to you.  The advantage is that if you have a source of fresh clean water, such as a steam vent or a geyser, why bother removing germs from polluted water? Just use the clean water and don't mix the two.

Here is an example of a 'safe' water supply.  After being cooled, the water gets piped here through a priority bridge and returns to the cooling pool.  

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.d327603e298f8f11b56de6e08f1c836c.png

image.thumb.png.19125237ec4044027ac612aff57dceb5.png

In fact, this is part of a cooling loop. After the bridge on the far right, there's a valve set to 1kg/s, which holds the temperatures about where I want it.

Another method of controlling the bacteria is to use up the water involved.  

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.7ab3bcf8319ef1599ce66fcc4286a67b.png

This nightmare of pipe spaghetti was built a bit at a time as I developed my base.  It definitely needs a complete overhaul, but let me try to explain things.  First off, on the far upper right, you see the polluted water coming in to the water sieve.  Immediately below it you see a pipe that isn't completely full, sending water out to the right.  This is the bathroom supply line and ONLY supplies the bathrooms.  It fluctuates a little, and currently someone is showering, which is why there's a couple of empty pipe segments.  When that pipe is completely full, the extra over-flows into the reservoir just to the left of the sieve.  The sieve has a priority line out to the electrolyzers, so USUALLY the reservoir is empty.

Alright.  The golden radiant pipe can be ignored -- its part of a cooling loop and some bridges and valves are involved that just make a mess in this area. Like I said: It needs a redesign.  Moving on!  In the upper left there is an insulated pipe that comes down from the top with a bridge coming down to the electrolyzer line.  This is a priority feed from a cool steam vent further up in my base.  While the vent is active, it takes priority to the electrolyzers.  Water from the septic system will back up and slowly fill the reservoir.  Water from the vent above that isn't used immediately by the electrolyzers continues on into another reservoir, seen in the lower left behind the spaghetti.  This reservoir allows water out to the electrolyzers only if the reservoir from the septic system is empty.  FINALLY, there's a pipe on the bottom of clean water that goes through a couple pipe shenanigans and ends up last in line to the electrolyzers.  This is the failsafe and pulls from my cold, clean, germ free pool.  Like I said: This is a total mess and needs a re-design.

The entire process above can be described as: Fresh hot water from the cool steam vent gets used first by the electrolyzers.  Water from the toilets gets filtered through the sieve and temporarily held in a reservoir while the vent is erupting.  Once the vent stops, the germy water gets used.  If all the germy water has been used, then surplus steam vent water is used.  Finally, if there isn't any hot water, and there isn't any germy water, then the cold clean water is used.

Archived