Pipe temp sensor on bridge

So, this was working, until it didn't work?  For a quite a while, this was opening and closing the door, now however, I watch it for a while and the temperature on the sensor  is no longer detecting the change in pipe contents temperature.  It's stuck at 385, while the pipe contents and tile is at 216.  The contents is 300mg Hydrogen packets

What gives?

5db7123ae52de_tempsensor.thumb.png.d412953bd058cbad7e598146f1da7972.png

The conveyor bridge transmits all the temperature from the immediately preceeding track while it's off-screen to it's output tile, do gas bridges act in the same manner as conveyor bridges and has the game got stuck in an offscreen temperature transfer calculation while it's not offscreen?

I think it's because the sensor is on the input pipe of the bridge. Sometimes, if you hover over the pipe section below the input of something like a bridge in this example there is no gas therefore the sensor doesn't work because it thinks that there is nothing. I would suggest to reverse the direction of the bridge you have and put the output a the bottom and the input at the top to make it work.

Pause your game and look at the bridge input: 99% it shows empty unless the line is backed up. The bridge moves the input packet to the output immediately if there's room there. You may be able to get a temperature measurement depending on how multithreading affects this mechanism but it's definitely not something to rely on. For what it's worth, sensors on bridge outputs don't seem to be too reliable either, and that one I can't explain.

@nakomaru and I were talking about it a while back, and he recorded a test here:

If you're trying to measure the temperature of a solid tile, your best bet is to put a thermo sensor somewhere next to it, and cover it with a few grams of something conductive and temperature-appropriate. It takes up more space but it works.

The gas pipe has a fast response, works well and is compact. I tend to use this in preference to other methods, as it often uses less of a footprint and safer too.

it's a ton easier to prime than making a single contained tile of Hydrogen and if I have to rebuild any tiles, there's significantly less risk of contaminating any surrounding atmosphere or vacuum.

A drop of liquid could get dispersed or evaporate off and contaminate the atmosphere.

You might be surprised how effective it is.

Archived