New character idea for Don't Starve Together!

Okay, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post about this...

I've been thinking about this character since last week, and I put a lot of thought behind it, wrote down a short story of how this character came to be playable, his abilities and weaknesses and even made some doodles about his appearance (With the lovely help of a terrific artist I know)

So here we go:

Darkness covers the constant, in the distance, a line of light begins to appear. A creature lurking underground captures a glimpse of something shinning. A green light and an eerie aura, almost hidden by rotten vines and dead leaves. "What is that? It looks... appetizing..." With little effort a bulge of earth starts moving towards it and in a quick swoop the shiny thing is no more. The first breath of the sun stings, eyes meant for darkness are covered by claws. "Belly is full now, time to sleep".

Short story about a Moleworm who was able to eat Wormwood's lunar gem giving it some human aspects and an ability to think and talk. Moon power?

His name is Wolly and he's a Moleworm so "Wolly the Molly"

I thought about a challenging character mainly used for night exploration and spelunking. Not too powerful but fun to play anyway.

His main focus at the start of the game is gathering 12 grass for a grass hat instead of a torch.

Stats

Wolly_Stats.png.3109eb855947bb421e82ccaa919281ef.png

Vision

Wolly can see perfectly in the dark but have trouble with his vision during the day. (Just like a moleworm hat)

- Loses sanity during the day, no sanity lost during the night or dark places.

Wolly_vision.png.b613110ecff26cd0d7f4fc736141f369.png

Abilities

- Uses his claws to mine/dig moleworm holes only. (Can't dig up bushes or tree trunks)

- Faster movement speed inside the caves. (Excels in cave exploration)

- Eats minerals for sanity, Stones/Flint/Nitre +1, Gold +2, Blue/Red Gems +5, Other colored Gems +15. (A full stack of stones or gold recovers 40 sanity)

Weaknesses

- Hats/Helmets covers his eyes completely. Charlie can still damage him during the night if he's wearing a hat. (Moleworm/Miner hats functions normally on him.)

- Mainly vegetarian (Food only fills his hunger and health), all meat meals work like a monster meat on him, causing him to lose sanity (Since Wurt is going to be added I had to change my idea of him being a full vegetarian, I thought about this prior to Wurt being announced)

- Clumsy, 5-10% chance to drop tools when being used (Due to his big claws he has trouble handling human tools)

- Hated by Catcoons (Just a fun addition)

Doodles/Appearance

Wolly.thumb.JPG.fe248c4669642ce1b70d84468fce0f45.JPG

I'm not a good artist so bear with me, tried to fit him into the dst overall look as best as I could.

Final Look and Color

Wolly.thumb.png.bc5ff44058198c276e3911ac20be6287.png

Hope you nice people enjoy it as much as I did thinking about it!

3 hours ago, Kuro_kira said:

- Eats minerals for sanity, Stones +1, Gold +2, Blue/Red Gems +5, Other colored Gems +15. (A full stack of stones or gold recovers 40 sanity)

That's way too little, gold is too valueble to be worth only a mere 2 sanity, same thing for rocks.

Just now, Averagewx78main said:

That's way too little, gold is too valueble to be worth only a mere 2 sanity, same thing for rocks.

I think its fine. The character appears to be great at exploring caves, where gold and rock are abundant. Though it kinda sounds like old Woodie all over again - great at collecting minerals but eat those same minerals to avoid going insane.

6 hours ago, mistrbushido said:

I think its fine. The character appears to be great at exploring caves, where gold and rock are abundant. Though it kinda sounds like old Woodie all over again - great at collecting minerals but eat those same minerals to avoid going insane.

The thing is, inside the caves, Wolly can never go insane due to complete darkness, his sanity doesn't drop in there, he loses sanity during surface daylight.

6 hours ago, Averagewx78main said:

In my idea, you're not meant to eat gold for sanity, it's just there for an emergency, I guess I forgot to mention he can also eat Flint and Nitre for +1 sanity each. That's actually pretty powerful already, might need a nerf haha.

On 10/21/2019 at 10:23 PM, Mooagain said:

This is a new playstyle that hasn't really been addressed. This is really good execution for a caving based character, something we don't really have. I really like this!

Thank you! I was really bummed out of how everyone just wait through the night in camp, sure it's good for talking and bonding but I really wanted a character meant for darkness exploration.

Archived