Adding more "real" physics in ONI

The most fun part for me from ONI for now is creating conversion machnes.
Also I always play on the max easiest difficulty because I dont care about babysitting dupes.

It`s all about the machines! At least for me..

Adding more realstics physics into the game I think would increase the fun in creating machines
There will be more complex problems to deal with, more options to choose from when creating the machines.

1. Gas
   - expanding gas should cool down
   - compressing gas should heat it up
   - the specific heat capacity should vary based on the absolute temperature of the gas.

2. Liquids
  - liquids should boil more evenly, offgassing (evaporating) like PH20 when boiling, not flashing into gas when all the liquid reaches a specific temperature

3. Solids
  - fix energy loss when solids combine, this is a bug

4. General
  - a true vaccum should not be possible
  - material density should be applied, stuff like lumber should float on water
  this should affect water locks as well, right now I can block a room of 100kg per tile of gas with 38 grams of water
  - add solvants and solutes, water in oxygen, CO2 in water, it can be simple at first, just a 2 substances per tile

On 1.10.2019 at 10:37 PM, alexkuzmov said:

expanding gas should cool down
   - compressing gas should heat it up
   - the specific heat capacity should vary based on the absolute temperature of the ga

The problem with this kind of stuff is the lack of properpressure system. Everything is based on the mass which isn`t correct most of the time. It could be used for calculating compression but stuff like changing boiling temps etc like people suggested before would require making a new fundamental system and at this point if i was a dev i`d rather make a new game than add it to the current one.

- liquids should boil more evenly, offgassing (evaporating) like PH20 when boiling, not flashing into gas when all the liquid reaches a specific temperature

This would be cool. There is a flaking system/bug that seems like an attempt to make this. Only issue i see might be with freezing making it impossible to create solid blocks when it freezes part by part.

- a true vaccum should not be possible

This would just make people mad and give us no benefits. It might be theoretically impossible but lets just use the "it`s a game" argument here. It`s more fun to have vacuum than not having it.

- material density should be applied, stuff like lumber should float on water

This is intentional iirc. If stuff floated it would make it harder to pick it up, at least unless we make boatsfor dupes or make dupes swim.

this should affect water locks as well, right now I can block a room of 100kg per tile of gas with 38 grams of water

Again impossible without a pressure system.

- add solvants and solutes, water in oxygen, CO2 in water, it can be simple at first, just a 2 substances per tile

Another thing that would require redoing some of the base systems. The game doesn`t allow mixing (imagine thermal calculations on a tile with 5+ elements). But if the lesser element acted like debris if the mass difference is really high (like a bubble of gas in the liquid that just moves around towards the top or a bubble of chloring in your base moving towards the bottom) and not interact with anything unless the mass grows enough then it might be doable.

There are concessions made to have the game run a an acceptable rate. There is a reason those amazing Blender renders that you see simulating water rushing over a drop: Outrageous example that took 22 minutes per frame to render This could be interesting for a hardcore mod, but I feel like Klei is doing a good job making the game somewhat complicated and interesting to play while allowing it to be functional and run.

On 7.10.2019 at 1:56 PM, alexkuzmov said:

Alot of the cool real world machines for cooling take advantage of preassure.

Well they could always introduce machines that "cheat" using pressure by altering the temperatures comming in and out. Still it`s not the same as making a machine yourself.

Actually now i think Klei could make a new game as a sort of machine simulator, based on ONI physics but with stuff like pressure and overall more realistic. You could make them as sort of building blocks and move around. With all the experience they got from ONI i`m pretty sure they are capable of making such a game.

Archived