My opinion on Salty Dog

ADM

Hi everychums, I wanted to make a quick review over Salty Dog and my favourite feature of the update.

So, the forums seem mostly expanding about the Malbatross fight and some cool stuff, such as this fishdance.gif.66c720138bdeb730c5fd4064a41134fb.gif that I tried when the update released. But I'm mostly testing those by commands and not exactly playing the game in survival... So to fix that I've started a new game with @Steamerclaw, let's try this out.

I've only recently took him with me for a trip to the ocean to get some salt during summer... Cause yeah, as you can see we didn't really needed to explore a lot to find the Moon Island :

unknown.thumb.png.5af441a211249217459c53d27d266ce1.png

0.thumb.png.71c74bff3abedeae896c0361430810c9.pngAfter that he switched from Woodie to Warly at the Celestial Portal, salt was the first thing we wanted to try, so we constructed a cool boat that shall resist everything.

And then, we explored the vast ocea- ok lesser than a minute...

0.thumb.jpg.80fe523ccf7d697b6462e392c27be2c3.jpgBest map

And today we're here to talk about those littles areas. (Yup, all the stuff above is just an intro ^^ )salt_formation.thumb.png.d7a9271a555059ed04a7dba9d9c8e8f9.png

You can find around 15~20 Salt Formation rooms in your map.

Those are pretty small and contain a Cookie Cutter's spawner and a bunch of Pillar Men ゴゴゴ, oh wait, it's just the Salt Formations...

You have to approach carefully if you don't want to wreck your boat on them, so retract your masts and use an oar, mining them will drop some salt all around so you have to plan how to gather them without damaging the boat, knowing that the Cookie Cutters will try to eat your cookie, , deal damages on landing and respawn pretty quickly in a swarm. After you collected enough salt... and Cookie Cutter Shells by extension ! You will have the ability to refresh your food, build a Salt Box that is pretty useful for keeping crops longer and other stuff...

Spoiler

safety.png.47e153360f574faf34db1b24fbd8c3bf.png And please your Warly buddy, of course.

Last thing is that this zone is completely renewable ! The salt regrow over a couple of days, and Cookie Cutters will never give up to protect this place.

WELP ! Why am I talking about all this ? Just to demonstrate that this kind of areas is exactly what the game need !

Not especially in the ocean, but for real, Klei. You did a pretty good job so far on this update. Clearing a room like this was pretty much as fun than clearing tiny ruins in a day, that's very entertaining and it gives access to a resource that shows you interests for buildings and survivors QoL. I loved it.

If you keep going this way, I'm pretty sure Don't Starve will still on top on our heart for years. Cheers and salt ! :wilson_wink:

4 hours ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

My only complaint right now is that there's not enough fish in the world.

Well, this should be coming up pretty shortly, the actual fish from the shoal are named "ocean_fishmedium_4", so I believe there will be at least 4 kind of fish and maybe various size. And after looking at their animations I'm sure we'll have many interactions with them, starting with the fishing net and more, can't wait to see that !

1 hour ago, Well-met said:

We need a way to fish out floating stuff that is just too far to reach by hand and isn't an expensive orange amulet.

Well, the fishing net can do that, throw it in water and it will gather the items, but it's a lot glitchy for now, just have to wait for Klei to finish it, but I wonder for which update, the Salty Dog update looked pretty adapted to me

Archived