Rate my build. AETN O2 Prodtuction

I'd like to hear some feedback on my cooled air production with an AETN. Something I came up with a while ago but have never seen anything else like it online, unless I just suck at the Google.

P.S. sorry for the quality, I took the picture on my phone since I don't currently have access to the interwebs. 

15692270932007345421245684218420.jpg

1569227563075929597214135419465.jpg

It's nice, although after a while the electrolysers will be running at less than 2/3 efficiency, because they will overpressurise: the two electrolysers together produce 1776 g/s of O2, but the two pumps only pump out 1000g/s. I see that you already have automation connected to the pumps, so when you feel that you need more oxygen, you can safely put 4 air pumps at the bottom, and have the automation switch them off before the air pressure gets too low, to avoid getting hydrogen at the bottom.

And from there, you are not far away from the by now classical build that does not use a filter, and instead uses the properties of the gases and the ONI gas mechanic to let the gases separate automatically. That would save you 120W, and should be self-powering, even with the AETN (it produces excess energy without the AETN).

There's a saying, something like "every idea has been had before, it's about how you own it."  And this one is indeed a bit different as it's visually striking and uses a 'drift chamber' for cooling.  The symmetry is pretty good as a 12x12 pyramid, but the wall heights of the sides are a bit inconsistent; starts off 3-1-3 but then goes 2-2-1, and the ladders will get in the way of building statues or pedestals for offerings to the Neutronium God of Cold that lives in the pyramid.

As for rating, I would place this as 'okay,' it does what it needs to do, but there's room for optimization.  I rebuilt it in sandbox for a test drive and hot water goes in, cold oxygen comes out, and it looks like it could run indefinitely without anything overheating.  I was getting around 50% uptime on the electrolyzers, so it could work with just one.  It's not insulated or gas-tight, and it feels like a couple of places could use some work.

The top gas pump feels really inefficient: it sucks a lot of oxygen into a pipe only to be released through vents so it can get sucked up again by different pumps.

Is the incoming water line insulated pipe or regular pipe?  If the pipe is not insulated, the water will give off heat and defeat some of the AETN's cold-ness before it gets destroyed in the electrolyzers.  This has been a problem for AETN builds before, like this one.

The gas pipe after the filter output will only carry packets left because the gas bridge comes before the right vent; which makes the outgoing oxygen pipes receive uneven cooling because the pump on the right has to draw the oxygen past the cold AETN.

The water coming into the electrolyzers are from a cool steam vent through insulated pipes, so it is very hot. The filtered O2 goes back into the chamber because I honestly don't need it going anywhere else since the bottom pumps send it to my base where it's needed. And even then, they don't run continuously. With 15 dupes in cycle 208, the vents going into my base become overpressured most of the time.

It's not using insulated tiles because it's already in a cold biome (obviously since it's an AETN) with air flow tiles for the extra O2. So far, it does pretty much everything I need it to.

By the way, guys, i do appreciate the criticism. Might try to tweak the next one I build.

Also, the ladders I kept in there for tweaking and because I didn't see much of an issue with keeping them.

My past experience suggests that the AETN will not quite keep up with the heating from the water (despite insulated pipes, unless they are made from insulation, they will slowly heat up), and the cold biome will slowly melt (you can already see it, the water that is gathering at the top will keep coming). That should be ok, you will get a good several hundred cycles out of this. Just make sure you set up your power unit that powers this thing in such a way that it cannot get flooded.

If/when you get atmo suits, you could send the oxygen from the top pump directly to the atmosuits. It won't be as cold, but the atmosuits don't care, and this will not decrease the flow rate to your base, it will really be extra oxygen.

10 minutes ago, Majestix said:

My past experience suggests that the AETN will not quite keep up with the heating from the water (despite insulated pipes, unless they are made from insulation, they will slowly heat up), and the cold biome will slowly melt (you can already see it, the water that is gathering at the top will keep coming). That should be ok, you will get a good several hundred cycles out of this. Just make sure you set up your power unit that powers this thing in such a way that it cannot get flooded.

If/when you get atmo suits, you could send the oxygen from the top pump directly to the atmosuits. It won't be as cold, but the atmosuits don't care, and this will not decrease the flow rate to your base, it will really be extra oxygen.

I believe you about the melting eventually, but all that water you see is from the salt water geyser that's right next to it where the abyssalite was broken and pretty much non existent. I put in a layer of insulated tile but might add another eventually.

The temperature in that area has already decreased significantly since.

Archived