Is there Power Use on line Mod?

Is there a mod that will change the UI to show the power usage on both ends of the wire the mouse is hovering? Like when you are in the power overlay, it tells you what the power usage is for both ends of the circuit of the wire under the mouse.

This would help a lot in redoing the lines... to know I need to cut out this branch of the circuit, that would be awesome

I know nothing about coding. But if I had to guess the code simply looks for and detects a building connected to the wire. But not where that building is located.

I know if you click on a wire and navigate the menu it shows all buildings attached to that line. You also get how much potential power draw is on the line and the capacity of that line. I can't think of a need for a building power draw via location UI it's unnecessary as I see it. The only thing I could see being useful is color coded wires for different circuits so it's easier to see where wires are going when they're overlapping with bridges and stuff.

I'm sorry if you don't see a need for it if, or if you think the current info is all I need... that is not a reason for objecting... 

You have a mod that shows the area of a dig, I mean why not just count the rows and columns yourself right? I don't see the need for it...

You have a mod that splits wrongly connected wires and pipes... I don't see the need for it!

You have a mod that allow templating... I don't see a need for it...

Come on guys...

I don't know to what extent the game has exposed modding abilities but from the mods I seen, it's has to be pretty much wide open.

27 minutes ago, icuurd12b42 said:

if you think the current info is all I need

I just remembered if you go to the wiring overlay and mouse over a wire that entire circuit starts blinking. So that's yet another thing to add to the list of existing features that already solve your issue. The only way to improve upon that is if someone makes a mod so if you click the wire the circuit stays highlighted and blinking. But that's a very minor improvement to an already existing feature.

Beyond that my only advice it try making neater wiring so it's not so difficult for you to tell where wires are going. I'd recommend watching tutorials for beginners. I'm new to the game and only have 55 hours of play time but it sounds like you just got the game from the content of your posts.

The game has a concept of pipes where liquid/gas is moved around. There is no such thing for electricity. Instead there is a wire network, which is a list of all power producers and consumers on the same wire. When power is produced and used, the game doesn't look at where each building is, only that they are on the same wire.

Sure you can rewrite the power system to be like the pipes and it might be possible to do with a mod. However I don't think you would like the resulting CPU requirements. You will certainly lose FPS.

In theory (and only there) one could rewrite the whole wiring system, so it works like a pipe for electrons. Generators produce electrons, and consumers consume them for power. And then electrons can flow in "pipe"-wires. But we have already enough fps-problems with current liquid and gas pipes. You dont want to have such a thing. 

I'm not really asking someone to re-write the whole "electron flow" for the live system. only have some code that can virtually snip the wire at that location and recalculate the circuit when the mouse is over a circuit while in the power overlay, like an electrician chasing a roque load would.

And I am sorry for not wording the request properly initially. It all seemed pretty obvious to me but apparently it was not.

It's obvious what you want, but it's not compatible with the current code. It's not a matter of hidden data. It's a matter of data, which aren't there and generally doesn't matter because whatever number you would get displayed aren't used by the game anyway.

Let's for a moment assume you can use this for something useful, like redoing your wires or placing power switches. How should this be calculated? Sure you can make a wire path from A to B, but what if there are branches, which merge back meaning there could be 50 ways for the power to move from A to B? This quickly becomes complex.

If I were to come up with something realistic to code, then it would likely be something like going through the wires to one side and add up all the power consumers. If there is at least one power producer, then stop and restart going the other way. If it can add a bunch of power consumers and no producers, then that's the max wire load. There are cases where this wouldn't work though and it would be a severe slowdown while used. It would also not be a minor effort to code.

In theory I can see some cases where it might be useful. You can avoid overloading by splitting wires or disabling parts of the wire/power consumers to keep the max down. I remember one time where I had a really long 1 kW wire and in the end of it the power consumers ended up using more and more power. Increasing available power would take a while to set up, meaning I had to do something else to get a here and now solution. I placed a pressure sensor under the oil refinery and whenever a dupe was on it, the pumps would lose power. This way I could have a "peak" of 1.5 kW on a 1 kW wire without overloading. I can see setups like this being easier to set up with a better display, but I'm not sure the benefits are good enough to justify the coding issues.

I get it, I'm a programmer myself... 

Anyway, I am done redesigning my circuit. It is something I do once or twice during the base building... this time is was harder than before because of the resources I had... you know how the game can get... and I thought, hmm, that would be useful.

Side Note, I'm going to try to see if I can do something interesting with the power sensors mod. I'm actually using it to control the power generators rn, I had ridiculously low wasted power, which was useful when I only had coal. the logical circuit is "If the consumption is higher than 1900W" or the power consumption is 0 (ran out of power), run generators for 20 seconds... amazing!

I used to have power consumers or an electrical branch of many consumers on the circuit on timers... I'm thinking I can use the mod in the same way.

Take care!

3 hours ago, icuurd12b42 said:

only have some code that can virtually snip the wire at that location and recalculate the circuit when the mouse is over a circuit while in the power overlay, like an electrician chasing a rogue load would.

Should have said this from the start. This mod un-links pipes and wires without destroying them.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1848884654

But it's a player controlled interaction like the player controlled switches mod the dupes don't un-link the pipes and wires.It's not a "virtual cut" though so when you un-link something liquid, gas, and electricity flow will stop.

Archived