Conveyor Germ Sensoring

I have all my slime being dropped into a chlorine room. I would like for the auto sweepers to send the slime to the mushroom room if the slime has zero germs on it. However, it doesn't seem like there's a way to achieve this since the room is all chlorine, so the germ sensor will never sense germs.

How can I get smart tech to sense for germs on slime?

You cannot detect germs on slime. But, if you send them through a conveyer rail submerged in chlorine for a long enough distance, you can probably guarantee that no germs are on it after they have passed. Or some other similar timed system with inputs and outputs.

I'd put a bridge on the entrance to the room in case the heat transfer bug also applies to this.

There is a solution. Same as liquids in reservoirs. Use multiple rails in the chlorine room (as many as your throughput needs)

Then have a conveyor shut off valve at the end of each. Have a timer on each so that the slime stay on the rail in the chlorine room long enough to kill all the germs which should be about half a cycle. Then open the shut off for a number of seconds equal to the length of the rail in chlorine. Rinse and repeat.

You now have a slime on rails germ killer. that doesn't use power (shut offs do not use power) and doesn't involve complex drop off switched door blockers etc. Just a very straight forward build really.

However, if you only use slime for mushrooms you need incredible little slime and can easily get away with just a single rail. For example to feed 12 dupes with fried mushroom you need only 128kg of germ free slime per cycle. That's just 7 rail sections (rounded up to 140kg per cycle). That means the shut off only needs to allow slime through 7 seconds each cycle. So with a 14 section rail in chlorine means each slime packet will sit in chlorine for 2 full cycle. Enough to kill any amount of germs many times over.

I've made a simple build in debug to demonstrate.

Germy slime comes in on a 8 rail segment long rail with a shut off valve. Sits there one full cycle. Shut off valve open for 7 seconds which is enough slime to fertilize mushrooms for exactly 14 dupes eating fried mushroom on normal hunger.

Slime comes out without germs. Dead easy.

image.thumb.png.ac769bb79325c7583d2535cf479121d7.png

Here's the automation. It's just a clock sensor (on any setting except 100% activity) that activates a positive edge detector which in turn activates a 7s buffer gate.

image.thumb.png.e67c13b79dce4deab7349535c3fcd873.png

Hell, since it's on rails which are background buildings it could even be in the same chlorine room as you sterilize water in.

30 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

There is a solution. Same as liquids in reservoirs. Use multiple rails in the chlorine room (as many as your throughput needs)

Then have a conveyor shut off valve at the end of each. Have a timer on each so that the slime stay on the rail in the chlorine room long enough to kill all the germs which should be about half a cycle. Then open the shut off for a number of seconds equal to the length of the rail in chlorine. Rinse and repeat.

You now have a slime on rails germ killer. that doesn't use power (shut offs do not use power) and doesn't involve complex drop off switched door blockers etc. Just a very straight forward build really.

However, if you only use slime for mushrooms you need incredible little slime and can easily get away with just a single rail. For example to feed 12 dupes with fried mushroom you need only 128kg of germ free slime per cycle. That's just 7 rail sections (rounded up to 140kg per cycle). That means the shut off only needs to allow slime through 7 seconds each cycle. So with a 14 section rail in chlorine means each slime packet will sit in chlorine for 2 full cycle. Enough to kill any amount of germs many times over.

Oh that's so simple and makes so much sense. Mushrooms is just part of the menu, so I probably need only enough for 4 dupes a day which makes my rail needs very small. Thanks!

Just wondering, but do germs divide when split from a stack while sitting in a storage container? And while sitting in the container, do the germs die off in a chlorine environment? If so, then couldn't you setup a sweeper-storage-sweeper-storage-etc. combo to dissipate all the germs like you can do with gas and liquid reservoirs.

while re-reading this to add to oniversity, I had another idea. The power requirement could be reduced if we use 1 sweeper with automation and mech doors under the storage containers. idk if the exploit where storage containers work in mid-air is still a thing or not, but I will add this build-concept to the queue. If the exploit still exists, then I guess I can block the sweepers line of sight all the same. It's easier to just use a filter gate automation combo to splay the power requirement to 120W then repeat the cycle.

Archived