Can I cool the contents of a pipe with the contents of another pipe?

What I mean to say is, suppose you want to cool gas that's in a pipe, and you also already have a cool liquid loop. You could run your gas through a Thermo Regulator and cool the Regulator with your liquid pipes, or run the cold loop through a pool of water and also the hot gas loop  to grab that cold, for a 0 power version. But what about just stacking radiant gas and liquid pipes. Does that work for cooling? Or does it still depend on the gas outside the pipe? Does the heat transfer in a tile go pipe-> gas ->pipe or can it go pipe->pipe?

1 hour ago, abud said:

If you like to watch video instead wall of text

Thanks! I fogot metal tiles exist, that solves my conundrum beautifully. Though from the video i didn't quite get why checkered tiles worked better than just a mass of metal?

11 minutes ago, Wild Marker said:

i didn't quite get why checkered tiles worked better than just a mass of metal?

Any transfer from metal to metal reduces the temperature differences. You need temperature differences to transfer heat.

If you had a block at 50C and flow from either side at 0C and 100C, Both outputs would reach 50C and end.

By cooling the coldest hot stuff with the coldest cold stuff, and vice versa, you can get closer to 0C hot stuff and 100C cold stuff.

That's what counterflow does.

2 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

Any transfer from metal to metal reduces the temperature differences. You need temperature differences to transfer heat.

If you had a block at 50C and flow from either side at 0C and 100C, Both outputs would reach 50C and end.

By cooling the coldest hot stuff with the coldest cold stuff, and vice versa, you can get closer to 0C hot stuff and 100C cold stuff.

That's what counterflow does.

Ooooh right, because heat changes faster the bigger the difference. Gotcha, thanks!

Archived