Why Does Fish Cordon Bleu Have A Sanity Penalty?

This isn't exactly a deep mechanical oversight, but it's just so odd to me lore-wise. Fish Cordon Bleu drains 10 sanity on consumption, but most characters' examination quotes suggest that they enjoyed it (Wendy: "It's actually... really good..." Wickerbottom: "I'll happily volunteer to taste-test." Wigfrid: "My ally is a god among men." Winona: "Mmm! Love Warly's dishes." Wormwood: "Yum yums!")

You could ascribe it to the foreignness of a frog leg dish for some characters' cultural backgrounds, I suppose, but no one takes any sanity penalties from cooked frog legs or the Froggle Bunwich, which is a much stranger meal. What gives?

Hard to put into wprds but it has a very swampish feel- frog legs and fish. And it defies science for magically draining your wetness so I guess this weirdness is causing sanity loss. Characters might like it but perhaps it isn't good for their sanity, just as Spicy Pepper Poppers being tasty but hurting the sanity for being too spicy and hurtful to head.

NGL, I find the Pepper Poppers inconsistent for similar reasons. Hot Dragon Chili Salad *restores* 10 sanity but is presumably much spicier than the Pepper Poppers since its warming effect is so much more potent. But it's easier for me to overlook the inconsistency with Pepper Poppers because they're not as prominent of a dish. I expect the player base will cook at least 10x more Fish Cordon Bleu than Pepper Poppers.

Again, if the issue is the "swampish"-ness, then why do cooked frog legs and the froggle bunwich not drain sanity? As for defying science, all of Warly's other "magical effect" dishes restore 10 sanity except for the Grim Galette (which restores 5 and then applies its sanity/HP swap). When I was playing the Warly beta I thought that Fish Cordon Bleu was probably intended to give +10 sanity too and that the drain was a typo in the code. But it's been weeks now and the value's stayed, so I guess it was intentional; just seems like an odd intention to me : P

Archived