Warly's food penalty is in need of a rework

48 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

One thing that I believe wasn't mentioned (if I didn't read right please let me know) is that spiced foods count as different foods, even if the base food is the same.
EG: Regular unspiced pieroggi - Garlic spiced pieroggi - pepper spiced pieroggi, sugar spiced pieroggi. They count as 4 different foods even if you ate them in a row, and will grant full HP.

I just tried it with Meaty Stew and it didn't work for me: 150 hunger with 1st one, 135 hunger with 2nd one.

Did you try it on a modded or unmodded server?

Edit: 2nd try, doesn't work at all. Honey Ham and Sweet Honey Ham are considered the same food and the 2nd one has 90% penalty on everything.

37 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

I just tried it with Meaty Stew and it didn't work for me: 150 hunger with 1st one, 135 hunger with 2nd one.

Did you try it on a modded or unmodded server?

Edit: 2nd try, doesn't work at all. Honey Ham and Sweet Honey Ham are considered the same food and the 2nd one has 90% penalty on everything.

I just tested and you are correct, I'm not sure if this was changed at some point or it never worked and I never really repeated the dishes. My bad then, sorry.

I just edited the original post to prevent future confusion of anyone reading it.

15 hours ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

One can use body-slot skins for modded characters too. And you can see in-game, in menus, the announcements for Klei releasing an update, be it world-content or character. So I suspect vast majority of them players will test at least once these new characters, and if they like them for whatever reason they might be inclined to also buy skins and whatnot for them (that can be also used on their modded characters). Sure, you can only buy skins if fancying them independent of character for whom they were made, but bottom line is: how Klei can maximize the chances for monetization.

So lets just make all of the characters easy to play so Klei can get that fat cash grab right?

My only complaint is that fiddling with different dishes per 2 days just isn't fun. - Personally.

Not a challenge as much as it is plain annoying? For a start it was interesting but I couldn't ever get the work streamlined into a rhythm, all my time is wasted on finding ingredients and planning ingredients and hoarding ingredients and waiting around for ingredients. Meta meta game. Became a baby sitting simulator. - Personal experience.

Allthough I was on solo, which just speaks for itself

5 hours ago, JustCrimson said:

So lets just make all of the characters easy to play so Klei can get that fat cash grab right?

Why most people assume extremes?

Why "make it noob easy" or "be it expert hard" every time?

Why "free staff, yey" or "cash grab, booo"?

Pretty hyperbolic, don't you think?!

I've already addressed that - middle ground: "is in Klei's best interest to both provide interesting characters playgame-wise, and appeal for large audiences to get needed profit". And my solution for a re-balance of Warly to be, again, more middle groundy:

1) for Warly himself, get down his "remembers the dishes he ate for up to 2 days" to 1 or 1.5 days so he won't be a pain in the neck to play in early days when variety is hard to obtain in an efficient manner, more-so for bulk of casual players at large (that struggles a lot with him);

2) for his dishes: get Chili Flakes - from 20% to 10% dmg boost, and Garlic Powder - from 33% to 20% dmg resistance (yet the Pepper and Garlic chances to pop from crops should go from 2.6% to 5.3%); also Wolf's stacks with these and Chaud-Froid should be looked upon so it won't interact in present manner with his Mighty form.

That's my middle-of-the-road view on the matter. Ofc can take it or leave it, chances are Warly will not be changed from Klei's end anyway :encouragement:

5 hours ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

1) for Warly himself, get down his "remembers the dishes he ate for up to 2 days" to 1 or 1.5 days

You can't loose more than 90 hunger as Warly per day unless you're sleeping, eating Rot, carrying a Slurper, or wearing a Life Giving Amulet. Reducing the time from 2.0 days to 1.0 days will remove this penalty as hunger penalty: You'll be able to refresh your hunger by eating Meaty Stew only, without any kind of penalty. And due to Warly's 250 max hunger, you'll not have to wait till your hunger drops to 0 to consume it with 100% efficiency. The penalty will turn into a full health penalty instead, which forbids Warly to refresh his health or sanity quickly by eating alot of healing or sanity food. That's not really what it is supposed to be.

If you can't handle Warly, don't play him. I see alot of players avoiding Webber, Wortox, Wormwood, etc. because they can't handle their penalties. Many players anyway die on their 1st day not because of starving but because of Spiders, Tallbird, Dragonfly, or during winter from Fire (for real).

2 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

If you can't handle Warly, don't play him.

Is less about "can't handle" and more about annoying to handle. If you try to explore a lot and/or nomad, it turns into "The Feeding Warly Simulator 1.0". And that hampers advance in all areas. I get that you and some others really love the "starve" aspect (to the point someone suggested this Warly mechanic should be implemented to all characters) but most of us don't fancy mentioned "Feeding Simulator". Still, point taken "I see alot of players avoiding Webber, Wortox, Wormwood" ... and now can add Warly too ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yet: you remember when Winona had the -5 hunger for each crafting? Maybe, just maybe Warly without the 33% bon from personal pot cooked meals but with 2 days of unique-meal-requirement cooldown is kinda the same problem?! And maybe lowering it to 1.5 days could mitigate said problem without "removing this penalty as hunger penalty"?! So that Warly won't be just a very-niche character you change into late game to make the spiced recipes and then discard it like a dirty sock for an "S-tier" character - just a thought. Good design isn't niche design.

7 hours ago, Cosheeta said:

Not a challenge as much as it is plain annoying? For a start it was interesting but I couldn't ever get the work streamlined into a rhythm, all my time is wasted on finding ingredients and planning ingredients and hoarding ingredients and waiting around for ingredients. Meta meta game. Became a baby sitting simulator. - Personal experience.

The solo experience to get all the ingredients and get to a stable point where you can use foods whenever you need them is quite painful, I agree on that.

Maybe all the new vegetables could randomly spawn, as carrots do now, across the land. This will allow warly to start using his foods in the early game as well.

1 hour ago, ShadowDuelist said:

The solo experience to get all the ingredients and get to a stable point where you can use foods whenever you need them is quite painful, I agree on that.

Maybe all the new vegetables could randomly spawn, as carrots do now, across the land. This will allow warly to start using his foods in the early game as well.

I fear though no matter the ingredient production backing me up if I'd still feel too dependent and glued to this one corner of a map than preferred. But that's both speculation and preference speaking.

While the crockpot itself is portable, walking around with enough slow-spoiling ingredients to make various dishes is anything but a portable situation.

EDIT: so this got me speculating... I imagine Klei implemented this con in order to encourage people to try variating their cooking. And I'll take this ideology with me to my grave; but in order to encourage,, I do not think it's a good idea to discourage the opposite behaviours. Classic nerf vs buff debate.

Klei should perhaps have considered making it so that variating between meals gives minor bonuses, rather than punish for following the system that we know, again.

I think in general meat needs to be harder to come by.

Koalefants need to be less common, pigs shouldn't attack their own kind, and food combos need to be nerfed, like putting ice and monster meat in nearly every meat dish, like cmon.

Archived