Aridio glossy drecko ranch before HVACs

A simple, short build today. Nothing new, just the same idea as farming mealwood on aridio, just collecting plastic** from dreckos but getting the needed temperatures from an ice maker. It requires about 1 ton of refined metal to automate fully, but doesn't actually need to be automated to get it up and running.

(1) Put ice in the compactor (I have it set to 30kg capacity)image.thumb.png.4caebaf662f320817ffafae38ccc99b9.png

(2) turn off the ice machine if temp inside goes below 10C

image.thumb.png.abb352a7d4b78e6bec71b28ae4eddb34.png

(3) Anytime there' more than 50kg in the drip basin, pump water across the ice maker (the ice maker's temp will stabilize at some temperature this way, hopefully keeping it from heating up so much it takes damage)

image.thumb.png.b5415be0c0152faa3a7eb64841125bde.png

(4) when water in the recirc pipe reaches 35C or if water level in the drip tank gets high, send water back to base. (there's a more power efficient way to do this with a loop of radiant pipes and a temp sensor but I got lazy)

image.thumb.png.57bb6b6377d602dff4284e44a125644e.png

(5) pick up eggs and drop them outside.

image.thumb.png.406131372755d87feb36ea7bc82b3e7f.png

(6) when hydrogen expands to fill too much of the room, pump in a little oxygen. (need 2-high full tiles/layers of O2 or things destabilize - so, I start with a bit too much hydrogen, leaving a high pressure about 2500g H2 once I've pumped the necessary oxygen in. Oxygen slowly leaks out the bottom but it's less than 50g/sec, and this forms my regulating mechanism for maintaining gas levels)

image.thumb.png.d10bffdbf77832f6133981dd3cf1dcef.png

My ranch layout is designed to provide the maximum possible surface area dreckos can stand on inside hydrogen, while also providing the shortest possible wander distance from their food (which needs O2 to grow) and the H2 (which they need to grow scales). That's why I settled on stilts & platforms, but there are certainly better general layouts out there.

But, my dreckos spend barely any time with stunted scales. Even if one spends enough time down below to stunt, once it reaches the bottom of one of the platforms, its scales start growing again. I'm only keeping 6 glossy dreckos groomed.

If you sink down your farm tiles by 1 tile and make a little box, you can have a 1 thick layer of CO2 for the mealwood, that can never escape and have the rest of the room be hydrogen.

TCCCCCCCCCCCCCT
T FFFFFFFFFFFFFFT

T is tiles, F is farm and C is CO2.

Really nice build. I wish I could go that high tech.

My strategy is to just build a farm into my base and kill the glossy dreckos right after they lay an egg (and have been sheared). It's a lot more micro-management, but it's low tech and a simple design.

ONI02.jpg

On 7/31/2019 at 4:29 AM, Eli Astronomic said:

Really nice build. I wish I could go that high tech.

My strategy is to just build a farm into my base and kill the glossy dreckos right after they lay an egg (and have been sheared). It's a lot more micro-management, but it's low tech and a simple design.

ONI02.jpg

If you just get rid of that top pneumatic door, move the critter drop off to the top area, fill the top with hydrogen, and then put a ladder up to the top area, that works as well.  Normally I add an exosuit at some point so they can breath in the hydrogen area, but you will still get some plastic without the suit, though they will waste  time gasping to recover breath.

On 7/31/2019 at 1:49 AM, Sturm58 said:

That is the temperature in that room? I guess it should be close to zero right? How fast does the ice melt?

Looks like 20 C based on the temperature overlay screenshot. Ice should melt decently fast as it exchanges heat with the hydrogen around it.

So, is this design heat-deleting overall because of the ice maker?

52 minutes ago, Nebbie said:

Looks like 20 C based on the temperature overlay screenshot. Ice should melt decently fast as it exchanges heat with the hydrogen around it.

So, is this design heat-deleting overall because of the ice maker?

The temp gets really low, like 12C. That's why I put the temperature sensor in there to pause ice production. But the ice maker produces ice faster than heat can leak in to melt it - so it cools slower and slower over time.

It might be heat deleting, but it doesn't really matter. Most of what cooling is left over after pumping water around the ice maker leaks out into the surrounding biome, so it kind of gets lost .

Could do some math to find out for sure, but what I'm getting at is it doesn't matter much. I wouldn't try to use *many* ice machines as a way to delete heat, because it's far too labor intensive.

New layout for spot cooling ice maker & returning water to base:

image.thumb.png.9fd44c6955b4fd1b9a94fdd96b072f03.png

New shipping overlay, using sweepers to move ice. This is a tradeoff because rails will heat up your ice a lot moving it just this small distance. Going through the door and that 1 insulated tile heats ice from -20C to -17C at my current temperatures. It's mostly passing through any tiles & doors that does it. But the conveyor saves so many errands. Totally worth it.

image.thumb.png.80c70b6939324866daaa64d6ed11a78b.png

Archived