Cool vest - protect or not?

Hi all

i try to survive in oasise, 100 cycles, 12 live, 2 RIP, no water geysers found

I try use cool vest to protect miners (i found small pool of PW in micro slime biome and feed reed fibers before it boil)

I not see any real protection from CW - my miners regular overheated, it bug?

So it protect or not?

Maybe we need more insulated clothing to protect from both heat / cold?

How it really work in game?

Update

I test warm sweaters - they protect from heat......

2 hours ago, Zakery said:

I test warm sweaters - they protect from heat......

I ever came around to test those but what they do is change the insulation stats of dupes. While irl a human produces heat and dissipates it around himself you want to increase the insulation in cold areas so it won`t dissipate as much and reduce it in hot areas so it can dissipate fastr.

Now in ONI dupes work differently. They get a homeostasis stat that adds or removes heat based on the difference from their normal temperature. In this scenario you want as much insulation as possible regardless what is the temperature around. This means that warm sweaters are good both for cold and hot areas while cool vests don`t really have a use.

This actually makes me question the entire clothing system. It makes little sense and what`s worse it never did but nobody bothered testing it up until now.

21 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

This actually makes me question the entire clothing system. It makes little sense and what`s worse it never did but nobody bothered testing it up until now.

I wish it was more fleshed out than it currently is, right now it's just kind of there.

22 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

Now in ONI dupes work differently. They get a homeostasis stat that adds or removes heat based on the difference from their normal temperature. In this scenario you want as much insulation as possible regardless what is the temperature around. This means that warm sweaters are good both for cold and hot areas while cool vests don`t really have a use.

This mirrors reality for people doing work in industrial environments. If you're going into a scalding hot environment briefly to do some work, you want to bundle up or even wear a special environment suit to keep the heat OUT. The suit (or heavy clothing) protects you from exposure for a few minutes but you're a human so you'll end up overheating eventually anyway. That's why there's a stay time.

It's realistic. Dupes run into a scalding area to do a single dig & haul task, you want them either bundled up (hot sweater) or wearing an environment suit.

Now it's different if you have to *live* somewhere hot, like, my home Arizona. If you just stay in the heat all the time you're probably not going to be wearing much. Different scenario.

I have own live exp in Arizona summer :D

anyway, if we talk about real heat protection, we have two options:

1) insulation - its take to more time for heat to reach body (actual if external heat more than internal)

2) reflectors - reflect incoming heat energy to greatly reduce incoming energy flow - like space suits or white car in Arizona :-)

Ideal - combine both.

In oni looks like cool vert must use option 2, but not realized now

6 hours ago, Squeegee said:

I wish it was more fleshed out than it currently is, right now it's just kind of there.

It`s there since thermal upgrade. Each time they add stuff i hope they they do something with the clothing system.

A side question that sort of fits here.  How do you make a dupe pick up clothing.  I found 4 items in lockers and assigned them to 4 different dupes.  1 of them immediately ran over and put it on but the other 3 haven't done it for 10+ cycles even when most of my dupes ran out of jobs and went idle.  You can't assign a priority to the clothes.

Archived