Did the printer stop producing food?

Pretty much what the title says. I noticed I had been offered seeds, alge (on a non-alge map!) and stuff like that, but never food. I'm not sure I like that change, because it means there is a bigger rush to get food production started and as such the early game is harder.

Did any of you get any food?

1 minute ago, beowulf2010 said:

I did get some food this morning, but just the nutrient bars. Of course, this is still a pre-cycle 20 base. (I keep restarting as Klei changes things like adding mealwood seeds to the non-copper starting biome)

Ok, so food isn't impossible to get. Maybe it has been my (un)luck due to also being in early game, hence not printed many times. I have mainly tried out new strategies for adapting to new maps and figured out what not to do :p

Maybe food has become rare because they added new seeds, new critters etc. If you have a bag with 1 red ball and 9 white balls, you have 10% of a red ball. Adding 10 more white balls, you will have 5% chance of a red ball even though the number of red balls didn't decrease.

8 minutes ago, Promethien said:

You say early game is harder. I say smaller pool of things I don't want. 

The question is mainly if food is possible and less if it's good or bad. You do have a point though. Once your food production is going well, then getting food is a bit pointless. Maybe the probability of food should be linked to the amount of stored food, providing a high chance when you lack food and disable when you have food for the next 50 cycles.

2 minutes ago, nonoxyl said:

care package of omelettes on cycle 12 saved me from building a musher. Was sweating there for a couple cycles.

Whoa, somebody got lucky. That's what I wanted, but it didn't happen :(

9 minutes ago, Nightinggale said:

Ok, so food isn't impossible to get. Maybe it has been my (un)luck due to also being in early game, hence not printed many times. I have mainly tried out new strategies for adapting to new maps and figured out what not to do :p

Yeah. I've been doing the same. I think it's the lack of muck roots that's making us more cognizant of the lower food spawn rate. Since the preview, I've gotten more seeds (mostly Oxyfern and Mirth Leaf) than food options. But, I've also not progressed past cycle 40 due to restarting and trying new things. 

I think your analogy of the red and white balls is spot on. 

57 minutes ago, Nightinggale said:

on a non-alge map!

Someone mentioned in a different thread that all maps have caustic biomes. Those usually contain chunks of algae. So you can`t get a non algae map, just the algae might be pretty far away.

4 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

Someone mentioned in a different thread that all maps have caustic biomes. Those usually contain chunks of algae. So you can`t get a non algae map, just the algae might be pretty far away.

I admit I did not actually use debug to search the entire map. I actually tried to play the game without debug/sandbox cheats. It might as well had been none-alge though because I got it in like cycle 9, meaning it was extra oxygen for early game.

Archived