is there a way to change characters midgame?

There are two ways.
If you own Shipwrecked or Hamlet DLC and have savefile with linked worlds, you can just worldhop in one of the worlds. Worldhopping allows you to change character. So let's say you have nice RoG base, so you go to SW, worldhop because you don't care much about that SW world, change character, go back to your RoG base as new character.

The other way is to complete adventure mode on other savefile as desired character, then go back to your main savefile and beat adventure mode again. Your current character replaces desired one on nightmare throne and you get to play as desired character now. This is a longer method and kinda silly one.

You can also collect the four Things in whatever world you're in and put them in the Wooden/Stone Thing to turn it into the Teleportato and start a fresh map, keeping your inventory and prototyped stuff. It lets you choose a new character, though not in the same map.

It's also possible there's a mod that lets you change characters DST Celestial Portal style, but I don't know for sure.

10 hours ago, kiwikenobi said:

You can also collect the four Things in whatever world you're in and put them in the Wooden/Stone Thing to turn it into the Teleportato and start a fresh map, keeping your inventory and prototyped stuff. It lets you choose a new character, though not in the same map.

That's what I said, worldhopping.

14 hours ago, Maslak said:

There are two ways.
If you own Shipwrecked or Hamlet DLC and have savefile with linked worlds, you can just worldhop in one of the worlds. Worldhopping allows you to change character. So let's say you have nice RoG base, so you go to SW, worldhop because you don't care much about that SW world, change character, go back to your RoG base as new character.

The other way is to complete adventure mode on other savefile as desired character, then go back to your main savefile and beat adventure mode again. Your current character replaces desired one on nightmare throne and you get to play as desired character now. This is a longer method and kinda silly one.

but i do care about my shipwrecked base and world.. fe i play 50 days as wendy and build a nice base then i wanna change to wolfgang to beat the bosses..

You can always complete Adventure ModeTM and swap characters 

1)new world, get a character you want

2) finish the adventure mode

3) go into your world

4) finish the mode as your old character

BAM!! you have now a different character

5 hours ago, kiwikenobi said:

I thought that worldhopping meant just using the Seaworthy or Skyworthy. Perhaps I misunderstood.

"Worldhopping" term was used long before Shipwrecked's release. After addition of Seaworthy a lot of people started calling travelling trough worlds "worldhopping" aswell even tho it's something else and that's why these are often confused now.

8 hours ago, thistownneedsguns said:

but i do care about my shipwrecked base and world.. fe i play 50 days as wendy and build a nice base then i wanna change to wolfgang to beat the bosses..

Well, if you own all DLCs then you can pick from 3 worlds, but the issue is still there, more or less. And every time you worldhop in any world, all "subworlds" get regenerated as well. If you worldhop in Hamlet, all the caves, ruins and volcano get reset aswell. It's cool because you can farm ruins or coffee this way without losing your RoG/SW bases, as long as they are in overworld.

And you don't need Wolfgang to kill bosses. Just get football helmet + log suit and several cutlass supreme swords. For deerclops you just want to tank next to a campfire. Goose is kited well, same goes for bearger altough it's a little bit harder. For dragonfly you should use special arena to make it easier, get her stuck between two endothermic fire pits or something, there are guides online. Or just put her to sleep with 20 ashes/pan flute then blow up with 14 pieces of gunpowder, that's what I always do. Sealnado? Kite, hide behind structures during suck attack. Tigershark? Kite, it's very easy. And Quacken is really easy even with Wendy's/Wes's damage. Just get some repair kits, armoured/encrusted boat and again, cutlasses. Cutlass supreme is pretty much the best melee weapon imo, 150 uses and cheap to make in big numbers.

1 hour ago, Maslak said:

"Worldhopping" term was used long before Shipwrecked's release. After addition of Seaworthy a lot of people started calling travelling trough worlds "worldhopping" aswell even tho it's something else and that's why these are often confused now.

That makes sense. Thanks for explaining.

19 hours ago, Maslak said:

Well, if you own all DLCs then you can pick from 3 worlds, but the issue is still there, more or less. And every time you worldhop in any world, all "subworlds" get regenerated as well. If you worldhop in Hamlet, all the caves, ruins and volcano get reset aswell. It's cool because you can farm ruins or coffee this way without losing your RoG/SW bases, as long as they are in overworld.

And you don't need Wolfgang to kill bosses. Just get football helmet + log suit and several cutlass supreme swords. For deerclops you just want to tank next to a campfire. Goose is kited well, same goes for bearger altough it's a little bit harder. For dragonfly you should use special arena to make it easier, get her stuck between two endothermic fire pits or something, there are guides online. Or just put her to sleep with 20 ashes/pan flute then blow up with 14 pieces of gunpowder, that's what I always do. Sealnado? Kite, hide behind structures during suck attack. Tigershark? Kite, it's very easy. And Quacken is really easy even with Wendy's/Wes's damage. Just get some repair kits, armoured/encrusted boat and again, cutlasses. Cutlass supreme is pretty much the best melee weapon imo, 150 uses and cheap to make in big numbers.

i know i dont need wolfgang to kill bosses.. its just what i WANNA do.

in DST i can make the moon thingy and change my character for the cost of losing all recipes which is fine.. i just wish we would have the same option.. i like makign mega bases and farming the bosses but i dont like worldhopping.

Archived