Tour The Constant By Air

I'm not submitting this as a bug report because you need quite a bit of console tomfoolery to achieve it, at least with a fresh world; this won't happen in normal gameplay. (It could conceivably happen by accident in an old save from when the void was accessible, if you had put a boat on the other side of the border and tried to get off the boat with the console after getting stuck; that's similar to how I discovered it.) But it's fun to watch! I kind of don't want it to go away, but it likely will in a patch or two whether I say anything or not.

The Glow Berry isn't necessary to get airborne, but it can save you from being attacked by Charlie during an overnight flight. (Also it makes a cool eye shape as Wormwood flies over the lunar island.) You can't RMB-interact with your inventory items (or with anything else, e.g. Soul Hop) while airborne, rotate your character, or use emotes, but you can talk and alt-LMB-inspect inventory items, and I later discovered that you can click-and-drag equip or unequip items. I think taking damage from other entities knocks you out of it -- I seem to recall dying to Charlie while doing this once -- but I haven't rigorously tested that.

Instructions for Flight:

• Generate a world with no caves, because apparently it doesn't work if the command is given by remote.The worldgen settings do not matter and you can have mods if you want but they aren't necessary.
  • Build your first boat. This will be the start of your flight path, but not where you take off from. Sail it to wherever you want your path across the world to start. You should probably give it an anchor if you move it from its launch position using oars or a sail, to prevent it from drifting.
  • If you want to fly over the lunar island in particular, the quickest way to get there is to c_gonext() some moon-specific prefab like moon trees, planted carrats, or moon glass. Otherwise, just head to the end of the main island opposite your first boat.
  • Launch another boat and sail it to the closest world border. (You might have to dodge some sea stacks.) Adding several masts to your boat will make reaching the edge less tedious.
  • Once you hit the border, c_spawn("boat") on the other side of it, in the void. It needs to be close enough that you'd be able to jump to it if not for the invisible wall.
  • c_gonext("boat") a few times to hop between the boats and make sure you know what order the boats are in, because c_gonexting the wrong boat while doing this can eject you into the void.
  • Once you know boat #1 - the one far away from the world border - is next in the teleportation order, get on the boat at the world border and try to jump to the other one. You will get stuck in the invisible wall, perpetually flailing in the jumping-onto-a-boat animation.
  • c_gonext("boat") again and enjoy your flight. Eventually you'll be pulled back to the pair of boats straddling the world edge.
  • Optional step: Bring your friends along with you! Get them stuck in perpetual jump at the world border too, and then c_gatherplayers() to make them join you once you've teleported to your first boat! (Some friends will be unable to fly with you and I don't know why. It doesn't seem to be the number of people jumping; I've seen up to four fly simultaneously, but every single time, one or two people get left behind.)

What happens once you reach your destination varies. Sometimes you just hop onto the boat like nothing weird happened, sometimes you get pressed up against the invisible wall and can still only flail around (c_gatherplayers can sometimes snap you out of it but sometimes you'll get pulled back over; despawning or dying will consistently free you), and sometimes you land on the boat and regain the ability to use inventory items but can't walk in any direction.

I wonder if there is some mod out there that literary makes you fly, where you can't be touched, can fly over obstacles and sea and you move as quick as if you were on coffee. I am already imagining a Wilson with a glider.

2 hours ago, MrNaxeros said:

I wonder if there is some mod out there that literary makes you fly, where you can't be touched, can fly over obstacles and sea and you move as quick as if you were on coffee. I am already imagining a Wilson with a glider.

There's a hang glider mod.
In beta, but the way DST is coded makes flying a bit hard to add.

For other examples, there's a few anime character mods that add in actual fully 100% animated flying, with physics and all that whatnot.

I hate those mods, personally, but I can't lie, they have some of the best code.

There's also PP, which has birds you can play as, with "fly" to a sense.

On 2019-06-28 at 7:20 PM, MrNaxeros said:

It's probably more possible now than it used to be, because ghosts can float over water now. (Also over the abyss in the caves.) I don't know enough about the DST engine to make any further guesses as to how it could be achieved though. 

I don't think the characters are more than 6-10 feet off the ground the way I'm doing it, so mobs being able to swat flying survivors out of the air makes sense. They'd have to fly at a higher altitude to be properly out of reach (or perhaps out of melee reach to everything except giants), and even then I'd expect the few mobs that fire projectiles to be able to hit them. Imagine getting shot down by MacTusk or a Deerclops with festive eye lasers. In practice they're the only things that can hit you anyway when you're moving that fast, but still. 

On 7/2/2019 at 2:06 PM, engiSonic said:

You can hear Wheeler crying all the way back in Singleplayer.

It works for mod characters too, so she could do it with a good DST Wheeler mod! (I've seen a couple that look promising but none that look finished.)

Pictured: Not Wheeler.

By the way, this still works in today's patch too.

Archived