Suggestions that can (i think) be easily implemented and still have relevant impact on quality

After absorbing absurd amount of informations from this site and joyfully playing this game as much as possible, I think the time came for me to give my contribution. Here is a list of suggestions, which are not going to be crazy requests like make duplicants as smart as human or the like. I'll suggest things that should be fairly reachable with not that much programming involved and no change to the basic mechanic for the game (diagonal tiles or heat transfering bridges). In order of importance:

1) Comment overlay: a very simple, minimalist, independent overlay where we can write down some words in whatever text boxes we are offered.

May be a box we can draw much like tiles, inside of which we can write a brief text. Useful to write down something like effective g/sec for gaysers, which duplicants are sleeping in that room, if the area is completely automated or if/what changes are necessary, what resource is in that very long line of storage.
Of course more complex stuff could be done, like showing automation input outputs (like a red ">20K" for a sensor that is inactive due to detecting a temperature below its threshhold), or colors, or basic imagery like an esclamation mark to remind myself I have to fix something in that area.
These last complicate things though, so I feel like the basic idea, simple tile-drawable text boxes, would give a big quality of life improvement for little effort.

2)Fix Conveyor loaders and incubators behaviour: currently, even when disabled by automation, and I think even when unpowered (may be ony incubators in this case), they still get loaded by dupes and sweepers.

This can be worked around: multiple carefully placed automation controlled sweepers in the case of conveyor loaders, birthing rooms in case of incubators. Still, i think these are unnecessary complications and a small change in this behaviour would simplify things a lot where, again, there is no reason for it to be complicated.

3) Big storage: a very late game feature that allows us to build something like a 500-1000t storage.

The drawback could be costing a lot, may be constant power, or different kind of artifacts needed to turn it on (like, for example, a "space compressore device" offering 500tons of storage when put inside the "big storage building", a "black hole in the box" offering 1000tons), making it require very late game amounts of materials, i don't know that's up to you. I just think it would make life easier especially since it would help with overall calculations and thus speed.

4) Critter drop off automation: currently it is almost impossible to automate "birthing rooms" completely.

Not even disabling a critter drop off with an open door underneath it seems to stop the autowrangle errand. This wastes duplicant time. The alternative is closing doors with automation, but that stops duplicants from getting inside. To be honest, I don't see why we shouldn't be able to turn off/on every single building in the game. In any case, fully, and i mean 100%, automating ranching is currently close to impossible. Some (minor) compromises have to be taken. This could help.

5) Change to critter sensors: check for only eggs, only youngling, only adults, or a combination of them.

It could be very useful to have something like three checkbox inside the sensor for extra customizability. Also please, update the text, it is misleading!

6) Automation cut-off: I guess it might be already doable, may be with a S-R latch, but the addition could be helpful in terms of simplicity.

May be a 2-tiles building, 1 tile for input, 1 tile to be put on top of the automation circuit that needs to be cut. May be not that necessary, but just throwing it there!

7) Pressure overlay or something similar. It is not very necessary but since pressure is more important than it seems (how effective cooling is, whether building or plants can work, pressure dmg) it could be a nice addition. Again, not that necessary.

Thanks to everybody reaching the end of this wall of text! Hope some of these suggestions reach the developers' ears!
P.s: this game is crazy entertaining.

7 minutes ago, suxkar said:

3) Big storage: a very late game feature that allows us to build something like a 500-1000t storage.

The drawback could be costing a lot, may be constant power, or different kind of artifacts needed to turn it on (like, for example, a "space compressore device" offering 500tons of storage when put inside the "big storage building", a "black hole in the box" offering 1000tons), making it require very late game amounts of materials, i don't know that's up to you. I just think it would make life easier especially since it would help with overall calculations and thus speed.

You can already build an infinite storage at mid game. ;)

8 minutes ago, suxkar said:

6) Automation cut-off: I guess it might be already doable, may be with a S-R latch, but the addition could be helpful in terms of simplicity.

May be a 2-tiles building, 1 tile for input, 1 tile to be put on top of the automation circuit that needs to be cut. May be not that necessary, but just throwing it there!

Seems to work like an AND gate, but on only 2 tiles. ;) 

3 minutes ago, Gwido said:

You can already build an infinite storage at mid game. ;)

Seems to work like an AND gate, but on only 2 tiles. ;) 

lol... to say that i feel dumb is an euphemism
EDIT: wait.. what if i wanted the two parts of the circuit to become independent?

4 hours ago, suxkar said:

The drawback could be costing a lot, may be constant power, or different kind of artifacts needed to turn it on (like, for example, a "space compressore device" offering 500tons of storage when put inside the "big storage building", a "black hole in the box" offering 1000tons),

I already coded a "black hole in a box" building and released it as a mod and it's not even limited to 1000 tons ;)

The comment overlay is actually a really good idea. I never thought of it that way but instead of adding signs or labels we could have a custom overlay for that. Would be really handy to use and easily turned off to make screenshots.

Critter management would be much easier if we had an age slider on the dropoff. Or if we had a butcher station with an age slider.

7 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

The comment overlay is actually a really good idea. I never thought of it that way but instead of adding signs or labels we could have a custom overlay for that. Would be really handy to use and easily turned off to make screenshots.

Critter management would be much easier if we had an age slider on the dropoff. Or if we had a butcher station with an age slider.

Yeah, whatever the implementation, I think the comment "overlay" would be a very good addition! Also, nice idea with the butcher station, although I feel like that would make things too easy for klei standards :D

Archived