How long is a long winter?

Seriously I went into this winter with like 8 carrots, 14 berries and a bird trap. I'm on winter day 18. Out of everything and not long left to live. I'm bat**** insane, doing Benny Hill around the campfire all night long.I sacrificed 160 Health to get reeds from the swamp for a blowdart.My life hangs on one blow dart. That the bird it hits drops a morcel and not another feather. If it drops a feather, I'm dead.

Edited by Nathuram

I was in luck. I was attacked by a pack of dogs last night. I cooked and ate the dogs. This should buy me a few more days. It took its toll on the sanity. I am nuttier than squirrel poop but alive.

Edited by Nathuram

Is that a standard or a long winter? I had 12 days of summer and so far 23 days of winter.

That's standart for the other ones look here:

["onlysummer"] = {summer= 9999, winter= 0, start=9999 }, ["onlywinter"] = {summer= 0, winter= 9999, start=9999}, ["longsummer"] = {summer= 50 , winter= 10, start=50}, ["longwinter"] = {summer= 10, winter= 50, start=10}, ["longboth"] = {summer= 50 , winter= 50, start=50}, ["shortboth"] = {summer= 10 , winter= 10, start=10},

So then spring and fall don't exist? A yearly cycle is ~ 35 days and almost half of that is winter? I got to about 26 days in my last game and i had to hunt even in winter to maintain adequate food. Fortunately I had 26 silk and could make boomerangs easily. I don't see how it's possible to stockpiel food that early in the game, unless you're mass slaughtering beefalo which i tend to want to preserve to shave them (good fuel source) and as a means of using their own immune systems to preserve their meat rather than having to build a fridge early game.

So then spring and fall don't exist? A yearly cycle is ~ 35 days and almost half of that is winter? I got to about 26 days in my last game and i had to hunt even in winter to maintain adequate food. Fortunately I had 26 silk and could make boomerangs easily. I don't see how it's possible to stockpiel food that early in the game, unless you're mass slaughtering beefalo which i tend to want to preserve to shave them (good fuel source) and as a means of using their own immune systems to preserve their meat rather than having to build a fridge early game.

To get started, I usually plant a lot of trees, enough to fill at least 1 chest with logs for later use that really comes in handy, in my current world, I got lucky with tallbird nests. I think that speaks for itself, currently I'm in winter with 40 meaty stews and a whole lot of else like honey and honey ham.

So a winter can vary from 10 to 60 days?Man that's rough,how many deerclopses will you encounter 3,4(10)?

No, I don't think so, it's for the custom sandbox I'm sure. You can go check out the customisation menu when creating a new world.

50 days of winter. you can't even do prepare work for that. Even your best foods will have expired 4 times over in that time. All the food in the world or no food at all makes no difference. You have to be 100% winter sustainable when the snow falls.50 days or a thousand days of winter are the same. There's nothing to do in the summer because the winters are so long that you can't depend on the summer.

Trapping birds works fairly well for winter if you have spare seeds. I am finding it hard to get prepared for winter, if I manage to find beefaloes then I can make a winter hat, but the jacket seems impossible I've not managed to catch a glimpse of the beastie.I obviously need new tactics -any suggestions for surviving winter welcome

I obviously need new tactics -any suggestions for surviving winter welcome

I tend to settle near a spider nest and a beefalo herd. The spiders provide an abundance of silk if you use rabbit traps you will have large volumes of silk, use the monster meat to bait the traps but sometimes they will capture spiders if un-baited . This will allow you to make boomerangs before winter which are great for killing birds or rabbits and obtaining food anytime.Though if you can kite beefalo well which is a skill you should develop you should be okay for winter. A living beefalo will keep your meat fresh and warm until you come to collect it. Just dont 'take on multiple beeflo simultaneously, hit and flee until the pursuing numbers drops as low as possible. Don't bother with teh baby beefalo.Also you should be able to kill rabbits without needing traps. I still have yet to explore tall birds as a renewable food source.You might even be able to fish, haven't really tried that yet.

40 meaty stews ? Does this mean you've driven beefalo to extinction ? I cannot even imagine that.

Look at the post I mentioned, I have 16 tallbird nests in one biome, and yeah, the beefalo contributed too but not to extinction, I let them mate.