How many camps are in your worlds?

Just wondering how many people have multiple camps in their world and kind of migrate around dependent on the season.

We have 3 large bases, one in the birch wood (Pig King) forest (it is below ground except the bee boxes, which are about 1 1/2 screens over from the cave entrance) where we usually spend our Autumns. We have one in the Mac Tusk biome (also underground, we are mole people I guess lol) where we harass the walruses mercilessly XD . And we have one bigger one in the ruins just before you enter the labyrinth where we usually spend the summer.

There are 3 micro camps (nothing more than 2 crockpots, a tent, maybe a fridge, and few chests with supplies, maybe a bird cage {our poor bird is toted around the map year round lol}) One at the celestial portal thingy, so whoever has to use it can be immediately armed with the basics, one at the beginning of the swamps for tentacle-bat hunting lol and one next to the queen bee and dragonfly (they are right next to each other) where we built 30 rabbit hutches and regularly harvest gems, scales and royal jelly. LOVE me some jelly beans lol

I'd love to hear about your worlds and see what similarities and difference we have. Maybe you have some great ideas that can make our world a better place! :) 

It's interesting that you don't have any larger bases on the surface. I bet it helps keep base hidden a little longer from unverified strangers though! 

My set up is obviously a little different than most. I've got the main town of Hamton at spawn, a half town in the next biome over. A bunnymen forest with a little bunnymen village behind it, a village at pig king, a new town in development near there, and a couple stand alone shops around the map. 

For the caves, I've got a base at the nearest cave entrance to surface spawn, a half town at cave spawn, a town deep in caves, a village past that, and a new half town in development outside the muddy biome before ruins. 

I count 14 "camps" in total off the top of my head. 

Here's a couple videos of it:

2000 Days

Spoiler

3000 Days

Spoiler

Each of these developed areas allow me to keep comfortably working on each new project without worrying about food, supplies or warmth. 

I always have 3 large bases. 1 will be in the Oasis, 1 in the caves near whatever cave entrance is closest to the ruins, this usually changes positions once i find a spot where the Lazy Explorer can be used to get to the Ruins or Atrium quickly(love those shortcuts), my third one is dependent on the cave entrances/wormholes. Seeing as my third base is the one i'll spend 3 of the 4 seasons at, the wormholes and cave entrances are more important then any other factor, as i can always import food & supplies from anywhere on the map.

I also always have around a dozen mini-camps throughout the world. These range in size dependent mainly on why it is there, they can be as little as 1 chest or campfire to as big as a base(not megabase). As @PSV_USA pointed out i have my mini-camps in many of those same locations. These locations vary depending on map setup, but the common locations for mini-camps on my worlds are; Mactusk, Pigking, Swamp, Beequeen, Meteor areas, Moon set piece, Dragonfly, Beefalo, Florid Postern. 

One other thing i do is setup a campfire and an Ocuvigil at every spawn point for Klaus's Loot Stash, very efficient way to find the Loot Stash without spending days travelling around to look for it every winter. During Winters Feast is the best time to do this, as it spawns every 20 days allowing you to mark dozens of positions during the event.

Looks like were to much alike for you to get anything out of my post, seeing as the only difference is 1 of our main bases you choose Pigking whereas i go with Oasis. Other then that we have really similar setups, oh the other difference is 2 of my 3 main bases are on the surface.

Wow! That is a LOT of love lol

3 hours ago, NSAiswatchingus said:

It's interesting that you don't have any larger bases on the surface. I bet it helps keep base hidden a little longer from unverified strangers though! 

We haven't opened our world to strangers as of yet. We are just happy we made it this far :) 

I can't believe how much stuff you've done, though. Very impressive! I saw things I haven't even come across yet. 

So you just open your world and see what happens? Brave.

Did I hear you say "guano" turf lmao??? Did not even know that is a thing :) 

Our camp is positively stone age compared to that, but we are happy with it so far. We are still figuring it all out. For now we are trying to build more rabbit hutches near the ruins and still trying to get our first Krampus bag XD We are easy to please lol

7 minutes ago, Rogueagent01 said:

During Winters Feast is the best time to do this, as it spawns every 20 days allowing you to mark dozens of positions during the event

Ok, what exactly is "winter's feast"? Is it a special event around Christmas? I've seen people mention special events, but I have never actually seen one. 

We were going to have a base near the Oasis, but to be honest we were a bit underwhelmed by the ant lion's loot lol. We kinda wrote the Oasis off, since nothing else seems to be out there. 

Plus I still get lost in our world somehow, especially if I panic. I know where stuff IS but somehow always get turned around :/ I have actually planted trees in the shape of arrows if seen on the map to point me in the right direction quickly XD Leaving the Oasis out cuts back on my getting lost in one more place lmao

6 minutes ago, PSV_USA said:

I can't believe how much stuff you've done, though. Very impressive! I saw things I haven't even come across yet. 

Where a lot of players rack up the days by getting boss loot and acquiring tons of end game items, I've been on that stone and wood grind. I try to incorporate as much different "stuff" from the game as I can in the different areas. 

11 minutes ago, PSV_USA said:

So you just open your world and see what happens? Brave.

Lol not THAT brave. I back up my DST save file at the start of every Autumn and rotate the storage device being used so I have a back up for at least 300 days. 2 flash drives and the PSN storage. If any irreparable damage isn't caught in time for a rollback I can always reset it the world to the nearest Autumn. 

15 minutes ago, PSV_USA said:

Did I hear you say "guano" turf lmao??? Did not even know that is a thing :) 

its-guanoooooooooo.jpg.d23f6a22b58b456f994667c520563f3d.jpg

Yupp! A white swirly bat poop turf deep in the caves. 

1 minute ago, NSAiswatchingus said:

Lol not THAT brave. I back up my DST save file at the start of every Autumn and rotate the storage device being used so I have a back up for at least 300 days. 2 flash drives and the PSN storage. If any irreparable damage isn't caught in time for a rollback I can always reset it the world to the nearest Autumn. 

Smart, wow. That's dedication!

We generally have a main base up top, preferably close to Beefalo, but large quantities of grass is the main thing we look for.

We'll then throw up a secondary summer base, usually around a pond or 2, most of the time in the green forest or birch forest. I like to throw up a fling and clear cut everything in the area to completely avoid fires.

On our current map we've really got into the caves for the first time and have a large base down there, with tentative plans for a ruins base. We actually have a ruins base started, but due to a shadow monkey turned splumonkey raid on our chests and icebox those plans are on hold until I can secure the area a bit more. I've brought around 12 to 15 tree guards, most of them ancient, to help with the job. I tried to relocate the rock lobsters to the area, but they wandered back to the other side of the caves.

We generally keep the number of bases low due to my love of roads. I tend to build roads to about anything and everything, and I'm currently working on going all out with signage to cut down on having to reference the map.

Another thing I've started doing recently at main base is building a rabbit pen. Aside from the grass availability, we like to base right next to savanna biomes for easy access to large amounts of morsels in the early days of a world. Whenever I get some down time, and the food situation is good, I'll throw up a wooden fence pen with 2 sets of double gates and a firepit and lightning rod in the middle right on the outskirts of base. I'll then sweep the local rabbit holes for a few days and release the rabbits into the pen. This obviously keeps them from dying/spoiling and gives us super easy access to morsels even in spring when the holes are closed up. I'm particularly proud of myself for this idea. I'm sure it's a common tactic, but it's one of the few things I've come up with on my own without consulting the wiki, which is pretty much always open on my phone while I'm playing.

@Dunk Mujunk another way to have nearly unlimited morsels is to make a large pen away from base to avoid the noise, and load it up with moleworms. It serves a dual purpose, 1 obviously being abundant morsel supply & 2 being a rock farm. Also if you have bundling wrap you can have as many moleworms as you want since when you wrap them it unbinds them from the hole they spawned from(I've heard taking them into or out of the caves has the same effect). As for rock farming simply go in and dig the holes up without harming the moleworms, they'll establish new homes once dusk/night comes. And for morsels simply slaughter everything but don't disturb the holes, by time the morsels are jerky their already back.

Moleworm farms really allow you to base wherever you want since you have access to food year-round. I tend to do this in public servers as well since most players won't bother to check remote areas and yet you've turned it into a very comfy home:)

2 hours ago, Dunk Mujunk said:

I've brought around 12 to 15 tree guards, most of them ancient, to help with the job. I tried to relocate the rock lobsters to the area, but they wandered back to the other side of the caves.

We have our main bases underground for the temperature control and because Deerclops and Bearger kept steam rolling over everything we had worked hard to build. We've since learned how to help avoid that, but we've become so accustomed to life underground we don't want to move lol

I found the best thing to have aside from walls to keep the depth worms out (unless they spawn within your camp walls...have seen that before too) and a star caller staff is a hoard of Bunnymen close enough to be available for protection but not so close to be a nuisance:) We also found rock lobsters to be more of a pain to keep around than an advantage. They spend most of their fight curled up. We have two just outside our ruins camp walls, and they DO add a great distraction for the worm while you pick the worms off one at a time.

We eliminated the monkeys entirely, and don't regret it one bit. In fact, the Bunnymen village is now where they used to reside XD 

I tend to build roads to about anything and everything, and I'm currently working on going all out with signage to cut down on having to reference the map

Smart move. I'd like to build some roads of our own, but have yet to commit to the work involved lol

Another thing I've started doing recently at main base is building a rabbit pen. Aside from the grass availability, we like to base right next to savanna biomes for easy access to large amounts of morsels in the early days of a world. Whenever I get some down time, and the food situation is good, I'll throw up a wooden fence pen with 2 sets of double gates and a firepit and lightning rod in the middle right on the outskirts of base. I'll then sweep the local rabbit holes for a few days and release the rabbits into the pen. This obviously keeps them from dying/spoiling and gives us super easy access to morsels even in spring when the holes are closed up. I'm particularly proud of myself for this idea. I'm sure it's a common tactic, but it's one of the few things I've come up with on my own without consulting the wiki, which is pretty much always open on my phone while I'm playing.

You should be proud, it sounds very clever and efficient, and it's hard to come up with new ideas in a game this long played.

Honestly we have a problem with too much food. Something is always on the brink of spoiling, but now that we have the bundling wrap it is getting better. There are only three of us playing this world, and our two to three fridges are pretty well full most of the year. We live on monster meat, mainly from spiders. We have around 40 or so queen eggs and have placed some of them in key locations on the map to harvest until they reach tier three nests, then either destroy the tier three nest and replant or deal with the queen lol. One of our favorite locations to plant 4 or 5 eggs is on the borders of our swamp biome, particularly one near the tentacle traps :) If we are feeling particularly cheeky we'll wait till a hound attack comes around and rush into the swamp. As long as we keep moving we have no problems and end up with oodles of goodies :) Anyway, with spider and hound meat we need only 3 ice or 3 eggs or 3 mushrooms (love mushroom planters btw) for meatball palooza all year. And perogies, of course.I am also a big fan of jelly beans lol We also have an abundance of hams, due to the pig village above us. When we have excess monster meat we just feed it to the pigs and get hams and pig butts when they go all werewolfie. I heard somewhere you could also give a pig 5 red mushrooms and it would die and leave a pig butt, but when I tried it I could never get the pig to eat the fifth one. Guess they aren't as gullible as I had hoped ;) 

Archived