Need Suggestions for a realistic winter mod

The WIP mod is out

Title says it all, and if I posted this in the mods & tools subforum I doubt I'd get many ideas. Anyways these are the things I thought about:

During Winter

[*]IceBox preserves food better(done)

[*]Insted of normal hounds you get ice hounds which are just a reskin, not the ones that drop blue gems(done)

[*]Fewer hounds in general,during summer too(yet to do)

[*]Beefalo hibernate(done)

[*]Insects such as spiders,mosquitos,bees and frogs(not insects) also would hibernate which means won't spawn. But attacking the nest will, also no queen (yet to do)

[*]Warmth meter for easy mode(not sure if I'll even do it,it might not yet be possible and seems to need lots of brain storming by looking at the sanity meter code)

[*]Snow birds only, no crows(yet to do)Btw you can imprison a snow bird in a cage

[*]Krampus comes when he wants like hounds(might give it a try, but can't promise anything, might be available in later updates)

[*]and future ideas

Suggested Ideas I like:

[*]You can't harvest grass/bushes/saplings(_Q_) - will be optional

[*]Trees grow slower(_Q_)

[*]Rabbits Hibernate(Danwood)

[*] Many more, too lazy to type them in.

I would most likely appreciate your thoughts about my ideas and even suggest your own.

Edited by Cyde042

Can you set all grass, twigs and berry bushes to harvested state for winter?Also stop or slow down growth of trees.I would like to see this in normal game.

Edited by _Q_

Can you set all grass, twigs and berry bushes to harvested state for winter?Also stop or slow down growth of trees.I would like to see this in normal game.

Do you mean that if the grass is ready to harvest... winter comes, and you won't be able to harvest it? Or it reverts to the state as it was already harvested and regening?

the torch gives warmth effect...

Good idea! But it revert the freezing effect quite slowly since then you won't need to build a campfire.

It's already implemented in the game, oh well...

Edited by Cyde042

Awesome, i love what you've done so far, please continue!My suggestions:(not related to winter) When hunger bar is full, cannot eat more.Rabbits hibernate, or show up much less often

I don't see the first suggestion really useful, since, the hunger depletes very fast and it's a matter of a second or too before you could eat again.

Crows are out in force during winter in real life...why remove them? They are all over here in Indiana, usually the only time I see them in great numbers is winter time.Only suggestion I can think of for you is to make the campfire go out faster while it's snowing. :)

Crows are out in force during winter in real life...why remove them? They are all over here in Indiana, usually the only time I see them in great numbers is winter time.Only suggestion I can think of for you is to make the campfire go out faster while it's snowing. :)

Yeah, I also thought the player should have at least one source to make darts from aside from the blowdart which doesn't really give a special effect. Anywho, it's out for testing :Dhttp://forums.kleientertainment.com/downloads.php?do=download&downloadid=69

I've collected some of my suggestions in a suggestion thread for devs. SOme are already listed here.http://forums.kleientertainment.com/showthread.php?11470-Winter-balancing&p=99885#post99885

Those are good suggestions, some of them also came into my mind, unfortunately the fire thingy gets kinda messed up with torches, I tried shortening the time, the flame burns, but it seems, that the torch flame burnout corresponds to the season it was crafted in. Let's say during summer it burns 1 min exact, now if I craft it during summer, and let it be till winter, once winter comes and I use it, it will still burn 1 min even if I set it to burn less. I'm sure there is a way to make it work but I haven't found it out yet. I haven't tried campfires yet, but it should work properly since it's not an item.Snow hares, won't happen until we get a way to add our own anim. files, although, there might be a command that can colorize textures considering that light does colorize everything else during winter and whatnot.Migrating... too complex for me to do for now, they're hibernating.Pigs... they day is already short enough to do barely anything with them, I also thought making them hibernate, but they're pig MEN, I think this should be tested by players later. I liked the suggestion prinny gave, giving them hats will keem them warm enough to stay outside more than usual.Tallbirds, kinda basic to do, but they'd still wake up if you're close to them.Trees suggestion is good and should work properly.Spiders won't patrol at all during winter, spiderqueens still spawn(or at least should considering I didn't edit anything on that part), frost spiders, is a cool idea since there should always be danger in a DS world, should be kinda balanced between warrior and basic spiders.

The question you have to ask yourself is this:Do you want "realistic" winter or do you want "hard" winter?Because a lot of the features that currently make winter hard are unrealistic. You can still farm in winter.

The question you have to ask yourself is this:Do you want "realistic" winter or do you want "hard" winter?Because a lot of the features that currently make winter hard are unrealistic. You can still farm in winter.

It's called somewhat realistic winter ;-)

It's called somewhat realistic winter ;-)

An easy start is completely disabling berrys and significantly reducing the amount of rabbits. There are too many rabbits in summer, much less winter.Sanity should be very strained in winter, and Tentacles should be frozen.Pigs should become permanently hostile, because they are hungry too, and it will force the player out of turtling in pig villaiges.

An easy start is completely disabling berrys and significantly reducing the amount of rabbits. There are too many rabbits in summer, much less winter.Sanity should be very strained in winter, and Tentacles should be frozen.Pigs should become permanently hostile, because they are hungry too, and it will force the player out of turtling in pig villaiges.

Check the mod in the first post, it's a WIP and I will think about the suggestions and maybe try them out when I come back