Basing in the Volcano

I was thinking about throwing up a base inside the Volcano and was wondering whether it was worth the effort or if there were any less than obvious downsides. My main base isn't far from the Volcano, but it's far enough to make constant snackrifices a chore. I was gonna say screw it and just dodge the eruptions but this is a bit annoying as well.

On 19.6.2019 at 3:45 PM, Dunk Mujunk said:

I was thinking about throwing up a base inside the Volcano and was wondering whether it was worth the effort or if there were any less than obvious downsides. My main base isn't far from the Volcano, but it's far enough to make constant snackrifices a chore. I was gonna say screw it and just dodge the eruptions but this is a bit annoying as well.

It is certainly a good option to have a small base inside or close to the volcano during Dry Season. It is not really worth it to stay inside the volcano for longer times in other season once you looted it since there isnt really anything happening inside it while you will miss out on a couple things from the ocean world like boss spawns and so on.

If you want to have an obsidian workbench, the only way to have it is basing in the volcano. Otherwise I don't see much of a point doing it. Way easier to just travel to hamlet/ROG and wait for the dry season to end.

As someone who's made a pretty decent sized base in the volcano before, I believe I have a couple things to add to the discussion.

Basing in the volcano has several upsides, but just as many downsides as well.  So it's really a matter of personal preference when it comes down to it.

The main positives I've noticed include:

• Not having to travel to reach the volcano to use the Obsidian Workbench or Pillar of Snackrifice.  (obviously lol)

• The Pillar of Snackrifice is easily managed with a birdcage.  Kill dragoons > convert monster meat into eggs > Snackrifice eggs to delay eruptions.

• Lots of ashy/volcanic turf to pillage for your bases elsewhere.  (Required for Coffee + Elephant Cactus plants to be planted)

• Tons of Obsidian to make Obsidian Firepits (definitely worth the 8 obsidian).        Tons of charcoal as well due to the charcoal boulders.  Much less time consuming than burning trees or waiting for dragoon eggs to provide!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

As for the negatives I've noticed, some of the bigger ones include:

• If you plan to world hop through the Teleportato, your volcano base will be reset.                                                Teleporting in RoG provides a new RoG world (obviously), but also resets the volcano in your linked world.  Same applies for the other way around; Teleporting in SW provides a new SW world, but resets the Ruins in the linked RoG world.

So if you've got a good base going and plan to world hop, you'll ALWAYS lose your Ruins and/or Volcano set-ups, no matter which way you decide to Teleport.

• Once you've pillaged the volcano for EVERY resource you can manage, there isn't a whole lot left going on there.  You'll have to leave to gather pretty much every other resource in the game.

• Eruptions are easily mitigated by rushing to the opposite side of the caldera (as there isn't much there for the dragoon eggs to destroy), BUT it will cause 100% instant overheating for the duration of the day.  I find "chilling amulets" to be the best option in this case, as the Tropical Fans aren't very effective in this situation.  (Have not tried a dumbrella in this instance tbh, so I cannot confirm or deny it's effectiveness during eruptions inside the volcano).

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Another thing to keep in mind is that Crocodogs + Giants do not appear inside the volcano.  Some may consider this a positive while others may see it as a negative.  Personally I'm the latter, as it's just another resource you need to leave the volcano to capitalize on.

Same goes for Lureplants and birds.  They do not spawn inside the volcano, no matter the season. 

The volcano bases look cool to have and it's an interesting challenge for sure, but in the long run it becomes more time consuming to gather and collect even the most basic of necessities to keep everything running smoothly.

These are just my observations, take what you will of them.  Be sure to post some of your own observations/pics if you decide to set up base inside the volcano?

Archived