Two Requests - Autominers vs Open Doors & Bigger Storage

Hi Folks,

I've had two ideas that I wanted to throw out for people-who-know-what-they're-doings' consideration.

First the easy one, a 4x2 XL Storage Compactor with (obviously) 4x the storage. Just makes stashing things away a bit more efficient.

Second, the one I didn't realise wasn't in the base game until about half an hour ago while trying to modify one of Francis John's excellent designs (the volcano petrol boiler)... autominers can't fire through an open door. I'd always expected them to work like autosweepers in that regard.

Anyway, many thanks to anyone who takes on one of these ideas. And fewer thanks to anyone who tells me to just do it myself.

Cheers.

7 hours ago, ThatFish said:

First the easy one, a 4x2 XL Storage Compactor with (obviously) 4x the storage. Just makes stashing things away a bit more efficient.

That should be fairly trivial for me to do. Copy paste the black hole mod, remove the content deletion component and apply the component I wrote for the Half Door mod, which can scale sprites by just being told the size difference. Update a few numbers (like 4 times the contents) and it's done. Sounds to me like the easiest mod ever. I know what precisely to do before I even look at the code :)

And yes it's a good idea. It means fewer storage compactors, which in turn means fewer options for dupes to fetch/deliver chores, which will result in more FPS.

There is already a mod with X times the value (configurable) compactors on steam. Its the same size as a normal compactor, but that should not matter that much. I dont think its useful to clutter up the already not very clearly steam workshop with redundant mods.

44 minutes ago, SharraShimada said:

I dont think its useful to clutter up the already not very clearly steam workshop with redundant mods.

Good point. It wouldn't be the first mod I drop after considering how much it could overlap with existing mods, though I think it's the first mentioned on the forum. The time is much better spend on something, which doesn't overlap at all with other mods.

With the addition of the automatic dispenser and chute, Klei made infinite storage very easy . The bigger capacity mod just makes it even better. This is now by far my favorite addition. I use X=400 and so far I've never needed more than 2 compactors. ;) 

Liquid and gas storage are simplified too. Sure you can build lots of different infinite storage systems if you would rather. I like the simplicity of this mod.

Archived