Telelocating mobs onto boats was a really cool feature, and I don't think it should have been removed.

The most recent update had a change that I'd like to talk about:

• Telelocator Focus can no longer be built on boats

This sounds like a harmless change, it's just meant to stop you from drowning bosses, right? But this is at the cost of stifling a lot of the late-game potential for megabases. Here's some examples of what could be accomplished with telelocating mobs onto boats:

• A farm could be made by telelocating grass gekkos onto a boat, which they'll be unable to run off of when startled.
  • Volt goat herds could be taken to sea, by chasing a goat to the shore and then telelocating it onto a boat a few steps away.
  • Vargs could be placed on boats just off the shore, letting you use them for a hound farm without having to wall them in.
  • Hostile mobs like clockworks, ewecuses, and tallbirds could be put on boats, to keep them out of reach of the player while still allowing their use as decor.
  • Any mob that doesn't fly can be trapped on boats, for decor or other niche farms.

The main reason for its removal was that mobs on a sinking boat will die instantly, allowing you to kill bosses without a fight. Here's my opinion on that, though. If you're skilled enough to get a telelocator staff, and have enough knowledge to know to sink a boat with the boss on it, then you are already too skilled for the boss to pose a threat to you. All you're doing is skipping a few minutes of gameplay, and the resources for a weapon.

If this is still a problem, then maybe bosses could teleport to land with a big splash when a boat sinks? I don't think entirely removing the option to telelocate mobs to boats is the best solution here, it's just the easy one.

Well, to be honest, the only bosses it affects are:
Deerclops, Bearger, Goose and Klaus.

First 3 tbh aren't big of a deal, and wasting 3 purple gems... is a waste.

Klaus however is a big deal, but they could make him freeze water and walk back to the land, but he will always be enraged since deer aren't near him.

However just like you said, "if you're skilled enough to get a telelocator staff", Klaus is only hard few first times.

Another sad part that the update removed ability to jump onto the boat with heavy "stuff" on your back in order to prevent cheesing Shadow Bosses.. Buuuut it didnt work, since you can craft em on the boat.

19 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

The most recent update had a change that I'd like to talk about:

• Telelocator Focus can no longer be built on boats

This sounds like a harmless change, it's just meant to stop you from drowning bosses, right? But this is at the cost of stifling a lot of the late-game potential for megabases. Here's some examples of what could be accomplished with telelocating mobs onto boats:

• A farm could be made by telelocating grass gekkos onto a boat, which they'll be unable to run off of when startled.
  • Volt goat herds could be taken to sea, by chasing a goat to the shore and then telelocating it onto a boat a few steps away.
  • Vargs could be placed on boats just off the shore, letting you use them for a hound farm without having to wall them in.
  • Hostile mobs like clockworks, ewecuses, and tallbirds could be put on boats, to keep them out of reach of the player while still allowing their use as decor.
  • Any mob that doesn't fly can be trapped on boats, for decor or other niche farms.

The main reason for its removal was that mobs on a sinking boat will die instantly, allowing you to kill bosses without a fight. Here's my opinion on that, though. If you're skilled enough to get a telelocator staff, and have enough knowledge to know to sink a boat with the boss on it, then you are already too skilled for the boss to pose a threat to you. All you're doing is skipping a few minutes of gameplay, and the resources for a weapon.

If this is still a problem, then maybe bosses could teleport to land with a big splash when a boat sinks? I don't think entirely removing the option to telelocate mobs to boats is the best solution here, it's just the easy one.

Have you considered that perhaps all of these uses are exploits and are detrimental to what Klei intends? You're essentially obtaining all of the benefits without the attached risks or consequences.

I see your point here, but you can keep in mind you can also move Telelocator Focus to the Moon Island if you want to trap something away from their place, there's a lot of empty space here and multiple separated lands

So you can still move away some of the points mentionned before without using the exploit of drowing creatures / locking them in a tight space for uses

3 minutes ago, ADM said:

I see your point here, but you can keep in mind you can also move Telelocator Focus to the Moon Island if you want to trap something away from their place, there's a lot of empty space here and multiple separated lands

So you can still move away some of the points mentionned before without using the exploit of drowing creatures / locking them in a tight space for uses

That exploit is not even useful anymore, since the most powerful and rewardful bosses can fly.

3 minutes ago, Master_Nikslg said:

That exploit is not even useful anymore, since the most powerful and rewardful bosses can fly.

For now :wilson_sneaky:

Who know what kind of grounded creatures could be added in the surface in future updates, it still an exploit as far

Just now, ADM said:

For now :wilson_sneaky:

Who know what kind of grounded creatures could be added in the surface in future updates, it still an exploit as far

I am afraid not. Seeing how Hounds got ability to swim, and update is more about ocean and lunar island, I tend to believe most of the new enemies will have swiming animation so players won't be able to escape them on boats.

Archived