Moon Island Basing Experiences

Haven't built one yet and not sure if it's practical unless you have instant transport arranged on the mainland.   My trip is about 2 minutes with multiple sails, which isn't too bad.    Anyone try main basing there?   Also, my map generated a pretty small lunar island group with not much glass to mine the traditional way, turf does yield glass (1) but expensive in green gems.    Ax is nice but the weapon I really like especially for shadow monsters.

tried several times basing on the moon since the environment thr is just soo beautiful, but tbh its not even close to practical cuz the island basicall far from everywhere unless u got rly good map gen like df bq pk triple mctusk all together rly close to moon or easily accessible with wormholes. Most of the time I just simple build boat bridges from moon to the closest part of mainland cuz this way is better to dealing with some emergency situation like when you are about to park near the land but 8-9 dogs are onto you. I've lost my boats and my life several times in this situation, it can be very costly for a full built boats with several masts, so I guess bridge is a much cheaper way afterall. And for glass shards, you can get them from hot spring like nikslg said. And you will need some shroom planter. Need to lower sanity very often especially during full moon basically every fissure on the moon island will give you sanity aura xD

25 minutes ago, deerBamboo said:

like nikslg said

little offtipic: First time someone decided to use my second part of nickname instead of "master" xD

But yea, making a base on moon island is darn costly and dangerous. I'd just recommend making lazy deserters (even adding mod for that case if you are playing solo) and bridges.

1 minute ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Maybe it can act as a natural griefing protection in publics, but as @deerBamboo perfectly explained its kinda inconvenient since it is pretty far away from everything. Also if you don't come back you may eventually run out of some resources like gold.

Also do hounds spawned there drop gems?

the mutation chance is random and doesn't affect all hound deaths so yeah you can still get gem drops

I was thinking that maybe a warg farm can be installed, and with the excess purple gems you can craft, you can eventually use the telelocator as a main transport in and out system.

If you have a telelocator focus in the islands and another in the continemt, and load both with gems, you can teleport standing inside the focus and you will be teleported to the main continent focus. Then you can load it with gems, stand in it and return, it acts as a two way expensive teleport for solo unmodded worlds

Archived