Mod Advice - Need Solutions Please!

Not sure if this is better suited for this thread (as it's asking for some tips on how to compromise on mods, lol) or if it should be in the Mod thread.     But here goes.

My group of friends and I have been playing for a couple of years off and on.   I am pro-mod (but keep it light) and one of the others is super anti-mod.     The anti-modder is okay with mods that are client only, of course, but the two I really want the most, are server mods!    Namely, Health Info for fighting the baddies, and global positions.      Despite lots of logged time in game, we've only made it once through a full year (then died!) lol.     For me, I love the game but I am tired of seeing mostly just the first two seasons of it.     I feel like having global positions is a pretty small request, that can reap some big results in our attempt to get further.    Unveiling the fog of war for all players is so helpful in early game for choosing a good base location, and being able to rescue downed players before things are settled.    Alas, that's the mod that my friend is most against.

I did some searching to see if there were any options for client only, that'd allow me to see them, without them seeing me - but it looks like that's not possible for this goal of map revealing.

So, first question is:   Are there any client only mods that might help me?

Second question is:  How do you best map out the world in early game if not using global positions?  (We only play on the largest map as well, so mapping the entire world takes daaaaaaays in game.  We've done it, but spending the first four hours of game time every time we load a server, to run around mapping, so we can then make a cartographers table, is sooooo dull.)

Thanks in advance!

~Starpuck

2 hours ago, Starpuck71 said:

Not sure if this is better suited for this thread (as it's asking for some tips on how to compromise on mods, lol) or if it should be in the Mod thread.     But here goes.

My group of friends and I have been playing for a couple of years off and on.   I am pro-mod (but keep it light) and one of the others is super anti-mod.     The anti-modder is okay with mods that are client only, of course, but the two I really want the most, are server mods!    Namely, Health Info for fighting the baddies, and global positions.      Despite lots of logged time in game, we've only made it once through a full year (then died!) lol.     For me, I love the game but I am tired of seeing mostly just the first two seasons of it.     I feel like having global positions is a pretty small request, that can reap some big results in our attempt to get further.    Unveiling the fog of war for all players is so helpful in early game for choosing a good base location, and being able to rescue downed players before things are settled.    Alas, that's the mod that my friend is most against.

I did some searching to see if there were any options for client only, that'd allow me to see them, without them seeing me - but it looks like that's not possible for this goal of map revealing.

So, first question is:   Are there any client only mods that might help me?

Second question is:  How do you best map out the world in early game if not using global positions?  (We only play on the largest map as well, so mapping the entire world takes daaaaaaays in game.  We've done it, but spending the first four hours of game time every time we load a server, to run around mapping, so we can then make a cartographers table, is sooooo dull.)

Thanks in advance!

~Starpuck

Those 2 mods imo you really don't need to play the game at all.  When I play with Global Positions I don't share maps and I don't really use health info.. Tbh u really don't need it to enjoy the game. 

As far as I know there are not client mods that do what you want. 

When playing with other it should be a matter of agreement so maybe you can get to an understanding on whether to use mods or not. In the end is about to make the experience enjoyable for both of you. 

It's really going to be up to your friend to change their attitude. If you are all using voice chat it would be best to communicate what biomes you're traveling through as you travel through them, so you're not spending time tracing each others steps and exploring the same areas. If you rotate your screen like I do, craft a compass so you can describe cardinal directions when you say what biome you're currently in. Do not forget that the cartography table allows you to copy maps and share them with your friends so only one person needs to really explore the map fully. Also another thing is for you to carry around a moonstone with a slotted gem, that way if you're in a very generic spot that is hard to describe you can just drop the stone and it should show up on the map for all to see. Ocuvigils are an expensive alternative for making checkpoints for others to see.

Archived