Sequel/DLC Multiplayer Mode Suggestions [WIP]

Gizmotron

For information on how multiplayer loadouts and items work, please refer to that section as each mode will likely operate under the same rules for generic items. Also please note focus mode will likely be unavailable, or if implemented, will not stop time, or be able to target players.

• Introduction
  • Game Mode I - Shifting Shadows (Path of Stealth)
  • Game Mode II - Mark of the Champion (Path of Silence)
  • Game Mode III - Master Assassin (Path of Force)
  • Game Mode IV - Shadow Dash (Path of Swiftness)
  • Multiplayer Loadout Concepts (Item/Acquisition Concepts)

Introduction:

Salutations fellow forum trolls and Ninja aficionados, my name is Gizmotron, and after purchasing Mark of the Ninja and subsequently wallowing in the rare happiness and satisfaction that comes from a well-crafted game, I have decided to throw up a few ideas I've had for potential multiplayer options. Feedback would be incredibly welcome, as would fangirls, but beggars can't be choosers. I would also like to offer my thanks and congratulations to Klei entertainment for this amazing piece of work which prompted to to enter into the Don't Starve beta, which I am currently enjoying as well - love your work guys.

Game Mode I - Shifting Shadows (Path of Stealth):

Shifting Shadows is more than likely my favourite of the game modes that will be suggested here. In essence, it will take a group of five players and will help discover the best ninja out of those five.

How it works: One player will be the ninja, the four other players will be guards. The map will be of a small size, with a limited number of vents, tunnels, and grapple points. To end the round, the ninja must either kill all of the guards within an allotted time limit, or the guards must kill the ninja. At the end of the round, a new player becomes the ninja. This rotation repeats until each player has had a turn at being the ninja. In the event of a tie in which two or more players successfully eliminate all of the guards, then the ninja who did so in the shortest time is considered the winner. Loadouts in this mode will be limited, the ninja will be equipped with sword, grapple, distraction flare, and spike trap. Guards will come equipped with rifles, NVG, gas masks, and gas grenades. Guards may be executed with a killing blow from behind, while stunned on the ground, or from other context-sensitive executions. These context-sensitive executions will either be limited to occurring upon a disabled guard, or upon loadout, but will be limited to Emperor's Abyss and the air-vent execution (forget the name).

Game Mode II - Mark of the Champion (Path of Silence)

Mark of the Champion is essentially a close quarters ninja death-match between two to five ninjas. The map will be dimly lit, and all lights that are contained in the map will be indestructible. Lightning flashes through windows may be a potential addition.

How it works: Players will be spawned in designated spots in the map, equidistant from each other. As vision is extremely limited, players will primarily rely on sound to locate each other. Each player comes equipped with sword, grapple, distraction flare, and bamboo darts. Bamboo darts will stun an enemy ninja briefly. Distraction flares may be used to light up an area, however if a flare hits an enemy ninja directly, it will stun them briefly, and remain attached for a few seconds, revealing their movements. Ninjas may be executed through either repeated damage, executes from behind or below, or context-sensitive executions provided the enemy ninja is stunned and in range (i.e. Bat's Prey). The last ninja standing is deemed the round winner. There will be five rounds, and the ninja with the most round victories wins.

Game Mode III - Master Assassin (Path of Force)

Master Assassin is a race between ninjas to kill a set amount of NPC guards on a large scale map during a set amount of time.

How it works: This game mode offers two to five ninjas the opportunity to prove who is the most ruthless at achieving their goals. The first player to reach a score tally of one hundred points is deemed the round victor, with the mode lasting a total of five rounds, each of which lasts five minutes. Points are allocated with a set weighting depending on the level of the target killed - guards are worth one, two, or three points each, with the more heavily armed guards being worth more points. Killing an enemy ninja in this mode will net you five points. When a ninja dies, they are relocated to a random spawn location after a brief death penalty time. Lights in this mode are indestructible, however may be deactivated through the use of switches. Guards will periodically respawn, and will also attempt to reactivate any deactivated lights. In this mode, ninjas are equipped with sword, grapple, noise maker, distraction flare, and spike mine. Spike mines may be placed in vents, and will kill an enemy ninja, however only one spike mine may be placed per ninja at any time. Noise makers may be used to attract a guards attention to an enemy ninja, if you're tricky :p.

Game Mode IV - Shadow Dash (Path of Swiftness)

Shadow Dash is a race through a large map for two to five ninjas to reach an objective point at the other side of the map. The first player to reach this point wins, with points also being allocated to second and third. At the end of three rounds, the player with the most points wins the game.

How it works: All players start near each other at one end of the map. It is impossible to directly kill an enemy ninja in this mode. Players must rely on attracting attention to enemy ninjas by a variety of means including, but not limited to, noise makers, bamboo darting them when in motion alarms, reactivating tripwires and other such shenanigans. The level will come complete with guards, dogs, laser tripwires (both static and alternating on/off), motion alarms, and booby traps. Death will result in a ninja respawning near their death point after a brief death penalty time. Ninjas in this mode come equipped with sword, grapple, noise maker, bamboo darts, smoke bomb, and caltrops. Walking on an enemy ninjas caltrops will result in a ninja being stunned for a brief time.

Game Mode V: Serpent (Path of Treachery)

Serpent is a mode in which the last player to be detected is offered the opportunity to escape and claim victory.

How it works:

This mode is designed for two to five players, and is set inside a moderately small, contained map. Killing in this mode is not possible, as the goal is to avoid detection at all costs. At the start of the round, all players are set on the outside of the map. In the centre of the map, there is an elite ninja guard (the guards in the mech-suits with detection auras) which will patrol the map looking for players. Every thirty seconds, an additional elite ninja guard will spawn, which will also patrol the area. Upon being detected, players will be pursued and attacked, and will die in a single hit. When only one ninja player remains, he is considered the winner, however he is given thirty seconds to reach an escape point which opens. If he reaches this point without dying and escapes, he is awarded bonus points. At the end of five rounds, the player with the most points is deemed the overall game winner. The equipment for this mode is grapple, bamboo dart, and noise maker.

Multiplayer Loadout Concepts (Item/Acquisition Concepts)

How items will work: All items in multiplayer will be unlimited, however upon use will suffer a recharge time. This time will vary depending on the item used. The spike trap however will not enter it's recharge time phase until it either been detonated, or dismantled by the owner. This recharge time will apply to both ninjas, and player guards.

Item Concepts:

Ninja Items

• Mask of the Iron Golem
    -Ninja takes reduced damage and immunity to bamboo dart stun, however sprint speed is reduced and makes increased noise.
  • Hood of the Assassin
    -Sprinting is silent, however ninja takes increased damage.
  • Satchel of Shinobi
    -Item recharge rate is reduced, however projectile range is reduced.
  • Iron Fists
    -Melee damage dealt is increased, however these attacks cause additional noise.
  • Steel Shuriken
    -Replaces Bamboo Dart, stun time on players is increased, however recharges slower. Shuriken stun will bypass Iron Golem immunity.

Guard Items:

-This section coming Soon, however most guard items will operate as they do in game. Gas bombs will be context sensitive to allow for bombing of vents/tunnels.

Item Acquisition: Briefly put, this is a section that will require feedback. The items mentioned, and upcoming ones, will need to made available through a variety of ways. These ways include, but are not limited to, rewards for winning a certain number of rounds (perhaps with mode allocation to items), bought in an in game store (currency as reward for game victors), or be available by default.

Will be adding more stuff over time, it's 6am currently and I couldn't be stuffed typing more or proofreading at the minute. Going to go assassinate some guards :). Hope you guys are having fun!

Edited by Corey
Added: Game Mode V section

• MOTD
If only I had realised I wouldn't be able to edit my initial post :(.

You can edit your posts after your post count gets a bit higher. I believe the magic number is 5 at the moment. In the short term, JoeW or I have no problem editing your post for you (or anyone else) as requested!

I merged your new post with your original :)