A newer way to deal with germy H2O

A few days ago when I started my current save I decided to do something different to deal with the polluted water overflow from a standard bathroom loop.

marked in green is the bathroom/shower loop.  the output goes through a sieve  and once there is excess the germy normal water is dropped into a pool. marked in blue. Most consumed water comes from here (algae terrariums, research stations, etc)  and I didn't use a water cooler for this very reason.

Marked in yellow is a tank of polluted water that supplements the flow to the sieve since the bathroom loop is intermittent. with some basic automation to prevent either tank from overflowing.

Marked in orange is a set of ice machines situated over the tank for fresh non-germy water.  in the event that somehow the ice isnt swept to the nearby storage it can melt right down to the tank.

----

It works well and is much more interesting to me than messing with chlorine and tanks   Its nice having lots of ice available early on :)

Icy Waters.jpg

I used to like that idea, but I'm a cheap person, who like to do one-time payment (setup chlorine), instead of paying monthly (delivering water and costing power). Now I start to think maybe you should clean some water using ice machine, and some other with tepidizer, and combine them to get normal temperature water lol.

40 minutes ago, goatt said:

I used to like that idea, but I'm a cheap person, who like to do one-time payment (setup chlorine), instead of paying monthly (delivering water and costing power). Now I start to think maybe you should clean some water using ice machine, and some other with tepidizer, and combine them to get normal temperature water lol.

one thing i like is its giving my dupes constant supply experience :)

I'm not really seeing how you can make this work. Oh, I get that anything coming out of the ice makers is going to be sterile, but I don't see how you can force Dupes to take water from the clean tank instead of the infected tank.

Overall, I'd much rather use a chlorine room. There's no ongoing cost, and no limits on how much water you can draw. The main issue is that I've yet to encounter a way to make a chlorine sterilizer truly safe prior to plastic. I had a clock-based system in my current colony, and periodically it would fail and let a load of germs through. Presumably because of germs in pipes or some other edge case I was missing.

I was interested in seeing some other method that could be used in the very early game, when plastic's not available, but as I said this looks like Dupes would regularly take infected water to make Liceloaf.

4 hours ago, Gus Smedstad said:

I'm not really seeing how you can make this work. Oh, I get that anything coming out of the ice makers is going to be sterile, but I don't see how you can force Dupes to take water from the clean tank instead of the infected tank.

Overall, I'd much rather use a chlorine room. There's no ongoing cost, and no limits on how much water you can draw. The main issue is that I've yet to encounter a way to make a chlorine sterilizer truly safe prior to plastic. I had a clock-based system in my current colony, and periodically it would fail and let a load of germs through. Presumably because of germs in pipes or some other edge case I was missing.

I was interested in seeing some other method that could be used in the very early game, when plastic's not available, but as I said this looks like Dupes would regularly take infected water to make Liceloaf.

Have you ever used the three tanks over mechanized doors with a half day timer?  It takes some space but I’ve never seen any germs get through and i believe it will output over 5t a day of cleaned water. 

4 hours ago, Gus Smedstad said:

You should try 5 reservoirs in a row in open space to get clean water.

12 hours ago, FiannaTiger said:

Have you ever used the three tanks over mechanized doors with a half day timer?

I was (and am) using 3 tanks with valves to control flow. I'm using a variation on Neotuck's 3 filter gate timer to rotate which tank is receiving water, which is isolated, and which is delivering water. Most of the time it worked, but now and then something would get through.

It's probably the door vs. valve approach. If the tank has any water in it, they're the same. But if a tank is empty when the "accept water" valve opens, the first 20 kg goes through the tank, out the exit pipe, and stops at the valve. That 20kg isn't going to get sterilized.

12 hours ago, goatt said:

You should try 5 reservoirs in a row in open space to get clean water.

Not fond of that approach. Among other things, the dilution solution requires that you reserve 25 tons of water. I didn't have 25 tons of water to spare when I needed the no-plastic solution, and now that I have plastic I don't need to spend 25 tons of water on that.

2 hours ago, Gus Smedstad said:

It's probably the door vs. valve approach. If the tank has any water in it, they're the same. But if a tank is empty when the "accept water" valve opens, the first 20 kg goes through the tank, out the exit pipe, and stops at the valve. That 20kg isn't going to get sterilized.

That is strange.  The door approach I've not had any problems with so far.  We will see if they change it where the doors disable the output.

37 minutes ago, Gus Smedstad said:

I seem to have miscommunicated. I think the door approach would work; my problems stemmed from using shutoff valves instead of the door approach.

I had the same problem with trying to use shutoff valves, as I would always get a packet of water that wasn't cleaned and it would infect my tank.

On 4/30/2019 at 7:14 PM, Gus Smedstad said:

there is only one enabled pitcher pump so they can only take from there. therefore I have control - the only other place it can come from is spills.

8 minutes ago, DaveSatx said:

there is only one enabled pitcher pump so they can only take from there.

There are two pitcher pumps, one for the infected tank, and one for the clean tank. So you do what, disable the infected tank before making liceloaf? That seems like a lot of micromanagement. And don't the Dupes get germs all over their hands every time they move infected water to a destination like a terrarium? I'd want a sink next to that pitcher pump.

On 5/2/2019 at 9:29 AM, Gus Smedstad said:

There are two pitcher pumps, one for the infected tank, and one for the clean tank. So you do what, disable the infected tank before making liceloaf? That seems like a lot of micromanagement. And don't the Dupes get germs all over their hands every time they move infected water to a destination like a terrarium? I'd want a sink next to that pitcher pump.

i never made lice loaf in this game.  the only meal plants are for dreckos.  there is only one enabled pump,.  the second was necessary early as the other tank ran dry and i left it in case it was needed again. there are sinks in a few places but generally no one gets food poisoning since food is stored in chlorine.  the only micro i have is using up the ice periodically.. lol

Archived