Pyrochemistry

Suggestion: add chemical reactions. I'm thinking specifically of pyrochemistry, namely fire if oxygen touches combustibles above their flash point. Like you have to keep O2 out of where you boil oil, because it will burn.

But it could also be useful. Combustion produces very high temperatures (especially with pure O2). If used to run a steam turbine it could be more efficient than using a packaged power generator.

Speaking of heat engines. Have you considered making it possible to return radioactive material from space? Radiation suit or abysallite containers to handle. Build tiles of it to make a reactor. The reaction rate can be moderated with different fluids between these tiles. And if you have inadequate cooling / it runs away, it will melt its way to the bottom of your base. Would be more interesting than volcanic heat. You could also make transmutation of materials exposed to radiation possible. Just an idea.

A counterflow heat exchanger as a packaged unit would be nice.

Many elements in oni are already marked as flamable. This seems to be a (at least at the moment) abandoned feature however. If i understood the reasoning correctly, then flamable elements would be very hard to manage at the moment and could lead to catastrophic results. So it is rather unlikely that we will see it in ONI-vanilla edition.

There would be alot of potential in it, so i guess the option is still on the table when it comes to future DLCs.

9 hours ago, IlIlIlIlIlIlI said:

Suggestion: add chemical reactions. I'm thinking specifically of pyrochemistry, namely fire if oxygen touches combustibles above their flash point. Like you have to keep O2 out of where you boil oil, because it will burn.

While I think the idea has merit, there's the small problem with how volatile oxygen actually is.  Its one of the primary requirements for flamability.  Our atmosphere is only 20% oxygen (roughly) with approximately 78% nitrogen, which gives a good balance between 'stuff still burns' and 'everything is always on fire.'  

Since ONI doesn't model gas diffusion in air, but rather isolates molecular 'elements' by strata, this could be an extremely difficult problem. It means that in most bases, if a wire burns out, or a dupe gets a static shock, it could result in everything flamable suddenly (and explosively) being on fire.  

Granted, you could make rules up to handle everything, but then fire would be completely arbitrary.  For example, you could have a room of 20c oxygen bleeding into a hot hydrogen vent... with some of the hydrogen cooling enough to not burn, and some of the hydrogen burning (and, coincidentally, producing rain) -- instead of a big explosion and suddenly your entire base has no oxygen anymore because it has all reacted with whatever was around it.  

FWIW, I like the idea of combustibles in a game like this.  I'm just not sure how it would be implemented that would make any sense.

Archived