[Combat] Random Enemies like Aliens or The Color out of Space

So I was wondering why the "Combat" ability doesn't really play a big role here.

I love this game for the survival aspect and I am not a violent person at all. But I would love to see some threats coming into the game (maybe late game, after space exploration), like some alien creatures entering on the top of the surface that could:

- destroy buildings or structures (in a mild way)
- attack dupes (e.g. with spitting infections)
- abduct dupes (and release them later, maybe with negative abilites afterwards)
- etc. ??

I don't want to be this about fighting all the time, so it should be very balanced.

What do others think?

We will get new biomes on release. Maybe some of the critters or plants we get will be hostile to dupes.

Some sort of a space invader might be intersting if it would steal resources. Maybe attack stuff too but random damage will be more annoying to deal with than a challenge. Generally space is protected by bunker doors and tiles and those shouldn`t be destroyable. If the come they should be also detectable by the space scanner so you could lock your base safe.

As someone who has often pined for combat to matter, alien invasions could be cool.  We could have manned and automated defense turrets to shoot down their ships, new buildings and rooms that give combat buffs, armor to reduce damage suffered during firefights, and the resulting physical wounds would give our doctors something else to do besides manufacturing pills all day long.  We could even have combat modules for our rockets and use them to track down dens belonging to these space invaders for some sweet, sweet loot.  However, I fear such a system would reduce ONI's mid- to late-game to a de facto tower defense game, and I'm not sure that's in spirit with the developers vision for the game.  For that reason, I think combat should be fleshed out through critters.

Volgus could be a pest that breed quickly in their dens.  They could chew on exposed wires, steal unsecured food, s[read disease, etc, making them a nuisance worth getting rid of.  They could also provide a renewable source of meat, making them worth keeping around.  Either way, combat would be needed to destroy the den or hunt for meat.  Shockworms could represent a more aggressive creature, a territorial one that will attack our dupes on sight.  These things would need to be dealt with by dupes trained and equipped for combat.  The developers could add other aggressive creatures too.

Volgus

20170612191959_1.jpg.e67dce7753d7bbe8916

Shockworm

5c1a557c4a7c6_theoryjonfirmed.gif.334a8b

10 hours ago, ThirdEye said:

Amazing! Did you come up with it? Is this a mod or just an animation? :o

They've been in the game's files, complete with descriptions, for a while.  Credit goes to whomever mined them out and for the pic/gif.

3 hours ago, goboking said:

They've been in the game's files, complete with descriptions, for a while.  Credit goes to whomever mined them out and for the pic/gif.

For a long while to be honest. For so long they might be completely different from what they were originally planned to be.

Archived