All diseases can infect regardless of form its ingested

The latest update finally gave some nice attention to diseases, making them infect randomly instead of needing to reduce a large Immune system pool. They also implemented 2 WIP diseases as well.

But one thing that still bothers me a bit is that Food Poisoning is completely harmless when it is in gas form, and slimelung is more or less harmless when it is on a solid object. Sure, this is for the sake of realism I suppose, but it does make respective bacteria more streamlined in how you can get sick.

If it was changed to do that if you somehow manage to make food poisoning airborne, it can make you sick when inhaled, and if there's slimelung on your food, you can also get sick, diseases would pose a greater threat and put more emphasis on bacterial disinfection via temperature management and such. There could be a multiplier too that Food Poisoning when inhaled is 50% less likely to infect, and Slimelung has a 50% less chance to infect when it is eaten, to keep the idea that Slimelung is 'the airborne sickness' and food poisoning is more lethal on solid objects.

It`s not a bad idea but i`d prefer if airborne germs could transfer to dupes from the air. Slimelung shouldn`t live long on solid and die pretty fast when on a dupe, but if trnasferred to lets say algae and delivered to a diffuser or terrarium might still pose a threat. Meanwhile food posioning when airborne should fall on nearby objects and dupes causing a risk of infection when the dupe doesn`t wash their hands after running through there or picking up something from there.

I like the idea of separate, distinct means of infection.  Having some germs indigestible and some breathable helps make them feel unique, in my humble opinion.  Then if aggressive critters are ever made to be a source of disease I'd like to see scratches from combat become a third means of infection, giving us three ways to become infected, each requiring their own workaround.

Archived