DST steam client downloads workshop items

hi there. i have many mods subscribed in the steamworkshop for DST. whenever there are updates for my subscribed mods, my steam client downloads them. but when i enter the game DST and click at the "Mod" tab, the button shows me the same amount of mods that needs to be updated as steam client already did. is there a particular reason why it happens twice? that happens every time since years now. I thought i should finally ask about this why it is like this. look at the attached images for reference.

but still this.png

downloaded wsitems dst.png

On 3/19/2019 at 2:29 AM, Miktoas said:

..when i enter the game DST and click at the "Mod" tab, the button shows me the same amount of mods that needs to be updated as steam client already did.

but still this.png

For me it does and did this right from start, from when I've first installed DST mods years ago - aka "when i enter the game DST and click at the "Mod" tab, the button shows me the same amount of mods that needs to be updated"; don't know if there's an auto-update version if you check some option as I don't automatically want updates installed for any of my software because they can be problematic or come with additional TOS ("Terms Of Service") I may not agree with. Also regarding "steam client already did": Steam client update has nothing to do with your games' mods, not even the DST game-update means mods will also be updates.

4 hours ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

For me it does and did this right from start, from when I've first installed DST mods years ago - aka "when i enter the game DST and click at the "Mod" tab, the button shows me the same amount of mods that needs to be updated"; don't know if there's an auto-update version if you check some option as I don't automatically want updates installed for any of my software because they can be problematic or come with additional TOS ("Terms Of Service") I may not agree with. Also regarding "steam client already did": Steam client update has nothing to do with your games' mods, not even the DST game-update means mods will also be updates.

why steam workshop mod updates have nothing to do with my mods? its the mods i subscribed in the workshop which are downloaded by steam, but strangely by the "mod update" dst-ingame-button, too.  they both download the same thing. i just wonder why it is doubled.

• Developer

I believe this is a by-product of DST using an older Steam Workshop API. When we were implementing the mod workshop into DST, there were certain features that DST required in the older API supported, that were unfortunately not available in the newer API at the time. The older API still works, but I believe parts of the newer Steam's Workshop/UGC is running in Steam.

Previously mods/UGC were downloaded when the game client requested it, but Steam shifted to having the mods/UGC downloaded by the Steam client before the game is launched. When DST launches it then attempts to do the download/update the mods from Steam, and install into the game. Steam may re-use the data already downloaded by Steam itself, when DST is requesting the content. I haven't confirmed this or not though, and the documentation doesn't mentioned it ether way.

16 hours ago, PeterA said:

I believe this is a by-product of DST using an older Steam Workshop API. When we were implementing the mod workshop into DST, there were certain features that DST required in the older API supported, that were unfortunately not available in the newer API at the time. The older API still works, but I believe parts of the newer Steam's Workshop/UGC is running in Steam.

Previously mods/UGC were downloaded when the game client requested it, but Steam shifted to having the mods/UGC downloaded by the Steam client before the game is launched. When DST launches it then attempts to do the download/update the mods from Steam, and install into the game. Steam may re-use the data already downloaded by Steam itself, when DST is requesting the content. I haven't confirmed this or not though, and the documentation doesn't mentioned it ether way.

so does that basically mean, the stuff downloaded by the steam workshop is used by the Mod button ingame to install the mods and they are not downloaded again - because of older api settings and stuff?

15 hours ago, lakhnish said:

@MiktoasTry hitting the clean all buttom (the one that looks like a broom). It may or may not fix itself after that, but you will have to reconfigure any settings you've made in the mods.

what will that exactly do? unsubscribe the mods and delete them? or just delete all mods, just to redownload them because i will still have subscribed them?

• Developer
13 minutes ago, Miktoas said:

so does that basically mean, the stuff downloaded by the steam workshop is used by the Mod button ingame to install the mods and they are not downloaded again - because of older api settings and stuff?

It might do, it also might not :) I haven't confirmed if when the game installs the mod, that the content is coming from Steam servers, or from the locally downloaded data that Steam already downloaded. We make an api to get the mod data, but the Steam library responds with it. Unfortunately the documentation doesn't seem to indicate where the data comes from at the moment.

15 minutes ago, PeterA said:

It might do, it also might not :) I haven't confirmed if when the game installs the mod, that the content is coming from Steam servers, or from the locally downloaded data that Steam already downloaded. We make an api to get the mod data, but the Steam library responds with it. Unfortunately the documentation doesn't seem to indicate where the data comes from at the moment.

so what happens to me is actually totally normal and it happens to all?

57 minutes ago, BeliarBAD said:

yes we all have that 

oh thats good to know. beause i asked this question in steam discussion of DST and the answers were no big help. they told me that it doesnt happen to them and stuff. so i was a bit confused and asked here on klei forums. i guess the people telling me it doesnt happen to them probably turned off automatically update workshop items (if its even possible).

6 hours ago, Miktoas said:

what will that exactly do? unsubscribe the mods and delete them? or just delete all mods, just to redownload them because i will still have subscribed them?

Uh, I don't know the specifics. I just know when I was making my mod, I had to hit the broom button so that I had the correct files, since I think it just deletes and redownloads a fresh version of the mod (not sure if that is what happens, but if fixes the issue that you were saying in my experience).

Archived