Food and Sanity

Hey there, I am a huge fan of Don't Starve, really like the direction it is headed. I was noticing something though - my main method of restoring sanity aside from dapper hats is eating well-cooked foods. Once you get a recipe that works well for you - in my case monster meatballs - there is little reason to change. I was reading that this is one of the major ideas behind the winter update - forcing players to adapt to new situations - and in that vein I had a suggestion."AW, meatballs AGAIN!?" My suggestion is implementing a system of diminishing returns for food sanity if you don't eat a variety of foods - essentially making your character get sick of that particular food until eventually you get no sanity from eating it, maybe even eventually taking a sanity HIT as you force down another steaming pile meatballs, or kebabs, or WHATEVER. It may make the early parts of the game too difficult - I remember spending DAYS munching roasted berries before I really got the hang of the game - but hey that's what Don't Starve is all about am I right?

Most of the games I play have some sort of food variety bonus / invariance penalty.Checking up on these forums now and then I see people talking about their ways of hoarding food. Usually it boils down to making one type of food. Have devs said anything about food variety? I like how there are many ways of obtaining food in DS, but I don't like it that it's most efficient to concentrate on one type only.