Basic Hatch Auto-Slaughta

image.thumb.png.07d8df4012c6cc63a28786b287e0410b.png

image.thumb.png.bc7dd7dfc1dc7bbaa71a4d2fac8d09c0.png

What happens here is the left Critter Sensor is set to 1 below the population you want to have, and the right sensor is set to 0.

Thus the doors only close when there is both at least the minimum amount of critters you want in the farm, and a critter in kill chamber.

An auto-sweeper is needed though, as hatches will eat their own fallen brethren. Hence the locked access door to the right.

Also note that there's room for a creature drop-off, so it can be used to manage an overflow pen too. Any critters delivered to the kill chamber will be able to move freely into the stable as long as the stable isn't at capacity. Otherwise they get harvested.

EDIT: Nota Bene: The left wall must be two up, as for some reason the water can occasionally be pushed into a pillar two high on the left. If the left wall is only one up, water will spill out and the hatch won't drown. I've yet to see it happen with the right wall though.

EDIT 2: As I say that I experience it. Both doors must be at the height of the left one in the images.

Building them this way where they hop from tile to tile always make me laugh at the little hatches, so cute.  I rarely ever do because I'm grooming them and I want them all in a tiny space but it is very tempting to build this just to watch them hop from block to block.  I really like the easy automation on the kill room, must figure out how to fit that onto my hatch farm, thanks for posting!

1 hour ago, Denisetwin said:

I rarely ever do because I'm grooming them and I want them all in a tiny space but it is very tempting to build this just to watch them hop from block to block.

Actually since the design relies on the creatures randomly pathing into the chamber, having them all in a tiny space actually increases the efficiency of the design.

5 minutes ago, goatt said:

I forgot to ask last time, this will require dupes to remove eggs from stable to prevent cramp debuff right?

Nope! The critter sensor counts eggs too, so whenever an egg is laid, another hatch is allowed to be killed.

2 minutes ago, goatt said:

So it’s possible that there are a lot of eggs but very full hatch in the stable and egg production is not at it’s possible peak.

Whatever number you set the left sensor to is 1 lower than the maximum number of hatches and eggs, so if you've a high egg production it's possible you may run out of hatches to lay more with (until said eggs hatch at least).

If you want to avoid this, I guess you could make sections of the floor mesh doors? Not sure if laid eggs count as falling.

Archived