liquid element sensor

3 hours ago, Mujinzo said:

There's a gas element sensor so why not a liquid one? (non pipe)

That is odd, I had never noticed that before.  There should be one for completeness.  Not that I think it will be as useful because liquids are more static.

The usage will be very limited though, I can imagine using it as a barrier or reminder in the case of mix liquid layer but not enough power to build filter yet, or something similar to that. but again, very limited usage. 

When I built my oil boiler, my initial thought was that I'd use a sensor to check if the crude oil was getting too high. Then I discovered there was no sensor that could tell me what a liquid was if it wasn't in a pipe.

Boilers are about the only time I can think of where there's ambiguity about the type of a freestanding liquid. It wasn't even all that important for my boiler - I figured out some workarounds.

On 17/03/2019 at 8:23 PM, Gus Smedstad said:

When I built my oil boiler, my initial thought was that I'd use a sensor to check if the crude oil was getting too high. Then I discovered there was no sensor that could tell me what a liquid was if it wasn't in a pipe.

Boilers are about the only time I can think of where there's ambiguity about the type of a freestanding liquid. It wasn't even all that important for my boiler - I figured out some workarounds.

My workaround for this problem is the temperature sensor. In my oil boiler temp sensor is set to 420 C, this is hot enough to ensure that the liquid is petroleum. 

I ended up using a temperature sensor as well. 406 is actually more than enough to ensure it’s petrol.

I’d like to revise my earlier statement. Pools with mixed pure and polluted water are common. There’s often water or polluted water on top of the oil in the oil biome. I’ve got a couple of fish tanks with blobs of crude oil in them, because some rogue slickster took a dump in them.

The thing is, while I frequently enable gas pumps based on a gas element sensor, with liquids I’m always just pumping it all and then sorting it out afterward. With gas pumps I’m typically pumping until it’s oxygen, less commonly another element. That’s a technique that would, for example, let me filter out the oil in my fish tank, because liquids aren’t constantly migrating the way gasses do. The contaminants tend to just sit there in one place.

Archived