problem with spider army, maybe need a fix

so, i create an army, like 20-25 spiders and just see one bug:

i create spider army and walk near prev fight, where one meet was on water and cant be picked up, when i run near it - all spiders run to that meat, and just stopped near shore (i lost my army) they dont listen to me anymore - they only trying to eat that meat. i try to feed them, but they dont listen to me either

maybe that abbility need to rework? coz its kinda stupid, i collect all that spiders, feed them, and all my greedy soldiers betrayed me at the first opportunity

31 minutes ago, Gagarin-ace said:

i create spider army and walk near prev fight, where one meet was on water and cant be picked up, when i run near it - all spiders run to that meat, and just stopped near shore (i lost my army) they dont listen to me anymore - they only trying to eat that meat. i try to feed them, but they dont listen to me either

maybe that abbility need to rework? coz its kinda stupid, i collect all that spiders, feed them, and all my greedy soldiers betrayed me at the first opportunity

You have to use the lazy collecter to snatch the meat to they start moving again.

17 minutes ago, Gagarin-ace said:

Well I "kind of" agree. Let me explain what I see about Webber.

Webber is a great early game character, and his main perk, which is being able to command spiders and create spider dens, is only good during the early game mostly for stockpiling food, glands and silk in spider wars. And that's mostly it. During mid to late game, if the world got overrun by spiders, the most he can achieve is to always have food available and never die to hounds, no matter how many he gets.

The power to command spiders and use them for fighting is really not that good, I've tried to give it some use for ages and the most valuable uses i could find (besides the spider civil wars to get items and food, of course) are:

• Hunting: early game hunting is okay, specially with spider warriors, the leap attack counts as a decent ranged attack for hunting koalaphants, killing butterflies and killing bunnies.
  • Passive protection: standing near dens can be used for protection against all kind of mobs, specially hound waves and depthworms waves. They also make a decent centinel against batlisks, and to distract MacTusk.
  • Pasive protection Through Queens: Being neutral to spider queens puts you in a place where you can make them fight some mobs, and since queens are pretty tough, they can even be used to wear down some of the giants HP, such as bearger and Deerclops.
  • Slowly wearing down the ancient guardian's HP to have a headstart for the fight, as there are usually a ton of spiders around.
  • The beard is a nice addition, as you can stand much longer without freezing during winter with just a tam, or without anything if you have to equip a helmet, and frees you one slot of a thermal (although I'd pick both the thermal and the tam)

As for everything else, he suffers:

• Having a spider army is far inferior to having a bunnymen army for tough boss fights, like bee queen.
  • Not having pigs to chop trees is quite a nuisance, specially in the early game (if you are not maxwell or woodie, of course)
  • Getting pig skins through werepigging them is quite annoying, as it requires a lot of planning and much more time and kiting than it should. You still can with due planning during full moons, but still the usual gathering is annoying.
  • Most team bases get their pigs nearby, so you will be running around and get punched often.
  • His sanity is great for farming nightmare fuel, but once you are comfortable with the amount of nightmare fuel you want, its a nuisance to be insane most of the time.
  • Spider dens can be placed and upgraded near a place where you will have to fight a lot, like the ruins barracks, where a lot of clockworks are placed. It works, but its way too resource intense and time consuming, and its usually better to just fight them the normal way.
  • Spider armies do not work against any giant. 
  • Any player can do his main perk: spider civil wars, as spider hats start becoming a common item in the mid and late game. Webber can be completely nullified to do "his thing" by just enclosing 5 bunnymen hutches around a spider den, which will grant the team rot, glands, silk, spider hats and extra dens passively for the rest of the game.

Webber is a great unique character who always has protection against waves of mobs,food and healing at hand, but his perks fall flat really quickly after the early game, when you want to achieve more than "just" having that.

If I could suggest changes for him, I'd suggest:

Spoiler

That he could also build other tier of dens with more expensive materials (like nightmare fuel, a den and thulecite, to make it expensive enough) a "bee-box" type of artificial spider nest, so he can summon the cave variants of spiders. Having ranged and armored spiders at will could work in many mid-late game situations. So during early game you have the basic spiders at your command, and in the late game once you have access to extra dens, thulecite and nightmare fuel, or even gems, you evolve your strategies on to other type of spiders harder to obtain.

I'd also like if he could command spider queens in the late game by using spider helmets, they are rather slow moving and short lived, so its not like you will carry your spider queen army around much. Using them would require quite some planning, but it could work against some bosses.

A mask to avoid getting punched on sight by pigs like on hamlet would be nice too. I don't mean that he can befriend the pigs with it, he shouldn't be able to befriend them, pigs could be suspicious enough to not trust him anyway. With a mask that makes pigs neutral he could werepig them in an easier way, or if your team placed pigs nearby, you can at least go back to base to drop stuff and cook in peace.

5 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

I'd also like if he could command spider queens in the late game by using spider helmets, they are rather slow moving and short lived, so its not like you will carry your spider queen army around much. Using them would require quite some planning, but it could work against some bosses.

what if he could use DST's riding mechanic on them to get them places?

12 hours ago, 4 Da LOLs said:

what if he could use DST's riding mechanic on them to get them places?

They are super slow moving, I see no advantage in riding them honestly, it would look super cool, granted, but besides their boring speed they are also constantly pooping out spiders which would be annoying if you are riding. And if you remove that for riding's sake, they would be weaker.

To keep their design as unchanged as possible it would work better to just command them to aggro something that is nearby, in my opinion.

On 16.2.2019 at 9:06 PM, Gagarin-ace said:

Clip through the shore and get the meat of just wait til it’s rotten.

Archived