Inactive Geysers?

I did some digging first but everything I read seems to talk about geysers being inactive due to over pressure.

I've got two geysers here where both remain dormant.  I expanded the steam one and stuck an air pump to get the air pressure down (was only 3k) but no I can't seem to find any way to get it to activate.  I have two other geysers elsewhere that are working just fine... ?

J12jaBW.png

I've waited a few dozen cycles and while other geysers turn on and off, I've never seen these two turn on.  I spent something like five cycles or so just starting at them, and I think an 800 second period should be a bit more than a game cycle?

10 minutes ago, PhailRaptor said:

The "inactive" part of the eruption cycle is measured in cycles.  800 seconds is 200 seconds more than a cycle (600 cycles).  Some longer inactive periods can be on the order of 100 cycles.  Just depends on how the Geyser's stats rolled on world gen.

Oh, so while it is active it has an on/off time (such as 600 on, 200 off for 600 out of 800 active), but there is a third completely inactive state for a potentially longer period than the one listed on the geyser?  I was thinking the scientist analysis was to determine when the on/off time began, didn't realize it was a separate active/inactive period.

1 minute ago, Drethon said:

Oh, so while it is active it has an on/off time (such as 600 on, 200 off for 600 out of 800 active), but there is a third completely inactive state for a potentially longer period than the one listed on the geyser?  I was thinking the scientist analysis was to determine when the on/off time began, didn't realize it was a separate active/inactive period.

Think of it like this, there is an "active" period and "dormant" period, each lasts for many cycles, over 50 average but you'll have to analyze them to know for sure

During the "active" period they erupt every few hundred seconds or so, the tooltip shows those numbers without being analyzed 

4 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

Think of it like this, there is an "active" period and "dormant" period, each lasts for many cycles, over 50 average but you'll have to analyze them to know for sure

During the "active" period they erupt every few hundred seconds or so, the tooltip shows those numbers without being analyzed 

Thanks, that helps with my confusion!

Im a bit bad (lazy) at maths. But can someone guide me as to how many kgs of water the above geyser produces in active period PER CYCLE, taking into account its "IDLE" period and active/dormant period. I made a mistake in calculations and now my natural gas geyser doesnt seem to produce enough for my power setup. i though 1 gas geyser should be enough to support 4 natural gas gens running full time.

Assuming the figures from the above water geyser:

Standard output 1.63 kg/s

Eruption period 656s every 889s

Active period: 108 cycles every 150 cycles. (Assumption)

20 minutes ago, Tab1 said:

Assuming the figures from the above water geyser:

Standard output 1.63 kg/s

Eruption period 656s every 889s

Active period: 108 cycles every 150 cycles. (Assumption)

First step is to turn the Eruption Period and Active Period into % figures.  Then you multiply both of these together, and multiply by the Eruption output rate.  So, with the assumed information given...

1.63 * (656/889) * (108/150) = 0.866 kg/s adjusted output

48 minutes ago, Tab1 said:

Thank you but this doesn't take into account that a cycle is 600 second only or does it?

It ends up not needing to be taken it into account at all.  When you convert from raw data to a percentage, the units are lost.  You are dividing cycles by cycles, canceling them out.  You are also dividing seconds by seconds, which cancels them out.  You are left with whatever units are on the rate, in this case kg/s.

3 hours ago, PhailRaptor said:

It ends up not needing to be taken it into account at all.  When you convert from raw data to a percentage, the units are lost.  You are dividing cycles by cycles, canceling them out.  You are also dividing seconds by seconds, which cancels them out.  You are left with whatever units are on the rate, in this case kg/s.

It's the same reason why time travel is unitless.

Archived