Rebalancing Decor values

Decor is a mechanic that has been lopsided for quite a while in my opinion, both in how Decor-spamming has been a viable strategy since forever(Though, Paintings needing fibers has kind of nerfed this), and how the only time negative decor really matters in the lategame, are Heavi-watt wires.. With the sculptures, gold-metal tiles, and now the new Artifacts, we got all the decor in the world. 

Thats why Decor values should be changed a bit, where there's more things with larger penalties so you need to plan for Decor space more, a tug of war for decor. And maybe nerf Metal Tile Decor while we're at it.

-----------

For one, all machines should have much larger decor penalty, to the point where you really need to keep machines far away from duplicants or balance it out with means of Decor. The Petroleum Generator only grants -15 decor, for example, and in a very short radius too. It should be increased to -40 decor for 5 tiles or so or so, this is a more significant amount. This is just one example, but more buildings should have noticable decor penalties, like research tables, deodorizers, manual generators and grooming stations.

Pipes and Gaspipes should both have decor penalties and their Insulated counterpart being uglier, because it feels so wrong that they only have 0, like somethings missing. Regular pipes and gaspipes should have -5 for 3 tiles, and Insulated being -10 for 3 tiles, this means that dragging one through your base isn't as "free", but one singular exposed pipe isn't gonna be the end of the world. 

Exosuits should have a decor penalty when worn, and it cancelling out Snazzy Suits. Exosuits should be a -50 decor in a 3 tile radius, this is to make that duplicants are no longer perfectly fine with being in an Exosuits for the entirety of the day. 

Nerf Metal-tile decor, improve plastic tile decor a bit, a simple floor of Golden Metal tiles already brings over +100 decor, this should be changed with either the Metal-tile decor itself being reduced, refined gold has a smaller decor modifier, or that the radius that metal-tiles prettifies things is reduced. And also, Plastic tiles and ladders should have better decor values to match metal tiles better. Plastic tiles would be more insulative, metal tiles would be conductive, both work for decor and movement speed, that would be the best case scenario for these tiles.

Refined Gold has a slightly smaller decor modifier, add a new space-age metal/stone that is pretty, if you're lucky to have aquired a golden volcano, you can cover your entire base in gold, reaching ridicilous levels of decor without much effort. Thats why the Refined Gold Decor modifier should be reduced to say, +30% or so. And this new space-age material having +50% like the old refined gold.

-----------

These are my two cents on how to improve the decor mechanic, I always ranch sinebugs because its fun, but not because its effective when some space for sculptures and golden flooring would do equally as much and with far less labour in the long run.

Sorry i find this really unnecessary for me its a cool mecanic already making it harder just drag the game and removes the (men i want to make my base cooler ) to omg i really really really need to paint some stuff or my entire colony is going to Die.

But yes youre really right about some numbers like the petroleum generator i think buildings shoulf carry large penalties than the freaking wires and wires a lottttttttttttt less.

if you ask for a overall increase/decrease decor effect,why not ask for a option in setting? like raving hunger that dupe eat a lot more food.
we can have a simple ugly hater option that dupe need 200% more decor value then normal.

btw: I don't get it why radiance pipe don't give positive decor value
about the gold+50%....it actually make sense since human like gold no matter you black white yellow green or clone(ok there a lot of room for argument,but look at history and our fully digital world still using gold as money reserve for bank etc).
So gold being very high value in decor make prefect sense.(I was always thinking why steel don't give something like 10%/20%decor,you know it's shiny!(the color was close to platinum/silver anyway)

I don`t see an issue with the petroleum generator. You still need heavi watt wires for it which are a huge decor penalty in a large radius. It quickly adds up to -400 in your power plant zones.

I agree about pipes. Maybe radiant could have a lower penalty (0 when made out of gold?).

Exosuits negative decor sounds reasonable. Anything that makes using them  all the time undesirable works.

Regular tiles provide decor in a 1 tile radius. Just reduce metal tiles to 1 radius and it should be fine and consistent.

Iirc niobium has the same modifier as gold. Redcing gold slightly would make niobium actually useful as a decor material. I`d also love a nw material from space that has awesome decor but not being too useful otherwise.

1 hour ago, Sasza22 said:

I don`t see an issue with the petroleum generator. You still need heavi watt wires for it which are a huge decor penalty in a large radius. It quickly adds up to -400 in your power plant zones.

I agree about pipes. Maybe radiant could have a lower penalty (0 when made out of gold?).

Exosuits negative decor sounds reasonable. Anything that makes using them  all the time undesirable works.

Regular tiles provide decor in a 1 tile radius. Just reduce metal tiles to 1 radius and it should be fine and consistent.

Iirc niobium has the same modifier as gold. Redcing gold slightly would make niobium actually useful as a decor material. I`d also love a nw material from space that has awesome decor but not being too useful otherwise.

I guess I forgot to add that maybe we reduce the decor penalty for Heavi-watt wire ever so slightly to justify machines being uglier

1 hour ago, badgamer123 said:

if you ask for a overall increase/decrease decor effect,why not ask for a option in setting? like raving hunger that dupe eat a lot more food.
we can have a simple ugly hater option that dupe need 200% more decor value then normal.

btw: I don't get it why radiance pipe don't give positive decor value
about the gold+50%....it actually make sense since human like gold no matter you black white yellow green or clone(ok there a lot of room for argument,but look at history and our fully digital world still using gold as money reserve for bank etc).
So gold being very high value in decor make prefect sense.(I was always thinking why steel don't give something like 10%/20%decor,you know it's shiny!(the color was close to platinum/silver anyway)

Actually a good idea, call it "Decor Expectations" which increases or decreases it (but it shouldnt affect Heaviwatt wire because then it would literally become a decor penalty nuke), but first they need to implement that some more things atleast got some Decor value to begin with, like pipes. Because I think pipes are ugly

Archived