Day 1 Alchemy?

Is it customary to create an alchemy machine so early?

Most of the time I just stick with a science machine because the only things I would want from an alchemy are a helmet and a lantern, but those items can be substituted for other items early-game. Besides, it’s a bit hard to gather all the materials for the science/alchemy and the things I want to prototype.

Depends on whether or not i'm trying to tame a beefalo early on or not. If I am I go right for it as quickly as possible so that I can start riding early, but if not I likely won't make an alchemy engine unless i've got excess resources or i've found a good spot for a base.

I would imagine it's the same for most people to not bother making an alchemy engine until they've found a suitable base spot.

I always have an alchemy engine prototyped by around day 2, but I've had cases where I was fast enough to prototype it day 1.

I like to get an alchemy engine ASAP mainly for the Ham Bat, Football Helmet, Lantern and sometimes the Opulent Pickaxe. Especially lanterns, they are way better then torches for light.

I typically prototype an alchemy engine as soon as I can so that when I find a place for a base I can immediately pop out a ham bat and football helmet.  Building a science machine usually means I've found the resources to prototype the alchemy engine, and I'll take that chance to get a spear, wooden armor, and backpack ready, and when I find where I want to build a base I can just drop the alchemy engine.

I have proto'd an alchemy engine on day 1, but I would say usually I get it day 2-5.  It mostly depends on how quickly I find the resources.

I'll make an alchemy engine only when I find a key area to potentially base around. Like Oasis/DragonFly/Pig King/Mac Tusks. I'll build science machine day 1 for the legendary BACKPACK. While I have the science machine up, I may as well craft a shovel, spear, and prototype the alchemy machine.

Archived