How do I make a tier list?

*Ehem*. Here goes-

Hey everyone!

In my roamings ang meanderings through the forums I've not been able to see a satisfactory tier list which objectively showed the strengths and weaknesses of each character and ranked them as to such for Don't Starve Alone.

So for quite a time now I've been trying to wrack my brains in order to create a tier list for DS alone, in light of the new DLCs and for objectivity's sake. But as i've started making it i've ran into several speedbumps (especially trying to rank Wigfrid vs. Wolfgang, and characters i barely got to play with such as Wilbur and Warly [though the latter one was an utter pain to play as, honest]) i'm rather confused as to quite a lot of factors in making tier lists, like:

- Are the strategies stemming from the perks of a character part of their strengths?

- How do i decide that one character is "stronger" or "weaker" than another?

- How many tiers should i have?

- Would it be fine to include a special "situational" tier for characters who have great strengths in one or two DLCs but suffer or have decreased capability in the rest? (I'm looking at you... Woodlegs... You too, Wilba.)

Please do note that my efforts are not intended to discourage players from using particular characters. I simply wish to discuss at length the objective strengths and weaknesses of each character, and rank them as to how "strong" they are... though as to what "strong" really means i don't know yet. (With your guys' help i may be ablego, though.) After all, at the end of the day, player skill is what matters.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and i wish you guys all the best. Happy Holidays!

So why not just discuss the strengths and weaknesses of each character instead of trying to force an arbitrary ranking onto them? It'd be a Hell of a lot more constructive than contributing yet another tier list for people to endlessly argue about.

2 hours ago, Ressayez said:

So why not just discuss the strengths and weaknesses of each character instead of trying to force an arbitrary ranking onto them? It'd be a Hell of a lot more constructive than contributing yet another tier list for people to endlessly argue about.

This I commend. This is a more constructive, open line of thought and analysis i haven't thought about. 

This also makes things waaaaay easier for me, saves me all the troubles of a tier list that you mentioned :)Especially all the salty arguments and the confusion as to how to tier certain characters without bias.

Thanks for the idea! I'll make sure to give you credit if i ever use it :)

This opens up a new avenue of possibilities, such as a "How this character is best used" or smth around that line. Anything more you'd like to add or suggest, kind sirs?

Somebody posted his thoughts on the characters in Hamlet already. Maybe you can use some Information.

Maybe you can make a Word online or Excel online document, so that everyone can add their information easily. Later on you just need to orden the gathered information and maybe change the look a litte.

Looking forward to see the finished product!

1 hour ago, DerWischmop said:

Somebody posted his thoughts on the characters in Hamlet already. Maybe you can use some Information.

Maybe you can make a Word online or Excel online document, so that everyone can add their information easily. Later on you just need to orden the gathered information and maybe change the look a litte.Looking forward to see the finished product!

Ooh, wow, looks like I was rather late to the party.... Most of the stuff I've written down are already mentioned here in the post you gave me, along with some new things I couldn't analyze or notice, like WX's poison mechanics... 

Well, thanks for the heads-up, kind sir! I'll just try to contribute to the other post as much as i can :) Though as of now i've little to offer. Guess i should look more carefully on Forums next time, i guess XD

Once again, thanks for your help, guys!

Archived