• The forum downloads section will be removed on Jan 1st 2023. Players may still download mods that are currently hosted, but new submissions are no longer being accepted. Mod makers are advised to relocate their mods to alternative hosting solutions.

[WIP] The Once-ler (THT gift) 1.0

8 Screenshots

About This File

A VERY INCOMPLETE character mod that needs some critique and assistance.

~~

This mod adds The Once-ler from Dr. Seuss' The Lorax (2012) movie as a selectable character for Don't Starve.

(Yes. I'm that one nutjob that just made a Once-ler mod. sighs... but seriously WHY NOT.)

This mod is both DLC and standard mode compatible.

~~

Once-ler is a big businessman with big ideas and a grand future wandering in a wilderness far from home.

STATS:

Health 150

Hunger 150

Sanity 175

- Dapper so he has a small sanity gain.

- Spawns with a custom top hat. He doesn't have to wear his hat, but he comes with it anyway.

- Spawns with a golden axe and a sewing kit.

- Can sew various thneeds by crafting butterflies, silk, and beefalo wool together.

I borrowed a lot of dialog from various characters (Maxwell and Woodie especially), but he's got plenty of custom dialog. If anyone is knowledgeable of the movie or the character, I'd like some better dialog suggestions.

~~

The following are WIP/bugs to fix/ideas I have for the future:

- Cave dialog has been mostly untouched (I haven't really explored down there). In the next update I'll be sure to take a trip down and customize the dialog properly.

- Small art fix ups on the main ANIM files

- Need to fix a few bugs with "fueled" when playing in standard DS mode.

- One of the biggest cons I wanted to implement was that treeguards and poison birchwoods appear MUCH more often when cutting trees, but silly me can't seem to figure out how to add that in...

- I am currently working on a THNEED TAB. Instead of making many thneeds with many uses, I wish to have ONE thneed to be able to turn into DIFFERENT objects (like from umbrella, to scarf, to hat, to bat, etc). As a penalty, every time you'd change it's form, the usage of the thneed goes down. This feels very complicated for me but I still want to try adding it in.

- I also wanted to add a limit to how many trees you can cut within a specified amount of time before attracting the attention of the lorax. Also, bonus, rare truffula trees that drop tufts (no need to craft one!) would also instantly summon the Lorax. He follows you around to antagonize you (lowers your sanity, steals your things like krampus?, I don't know, I just thought it would be fun to add a Lorax cameo/creature to torment the Once-ler heheh) but as stated, just an idea...

- When Don't Starve Together comes around I hope to make them compatible.

Finally, and most important, please let me know if you run into any bugs or have suggestions on making him a balanced character/sending me more ideas.

~~

NOTE:

((This mod was created in response to a very long Wilson Higgsbury "magic! anon" on my tumblr ask blog, TopHatTrio. Thus, ONCELER is part of a set. I decided to upload him separately in case people may not want the other two.

But if you do, then here they are: / PROFESSOR LAYTON / WARDEN /

Huge shout out to the anonymous person that introduced me to the game. And to everyone else, please enjoy!))

• Like 2

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

When he burns a tree, he should say "How bad can I possibly be?"

When he attacks something he should say "It's nothing personal, just business."

PS: In the movie, the lorax tries to get the onceler away from the truffula trees, carrying him away.

Dismantling his home and leaving the items there.

as in (Getting rid of a science machine and leaving it on the floor, there are singing goldfish that may attack.)

doesn't work for me Y U NO WORK?!

I DON'T KNOW? D:

They work fine on my computer!

Is there any way I can help you?

Truffula fruit should spawn in truffula trees and be harvestable (similar to berries). Taking the fruit should sometimes spawn a brown barbalute. Killing brown barbalutes should add to your naughtiness (they're innocent!) and attract the attention of the Lorax (maybe he should have a points system like Krampus does?).

Truffula fruit should spawn in truffula trees and be harvestable (similar to berries). Taking the fruit should sometimes spawn a brown barbalute. Killing brown barbalutes should add to your naughtiness (they're innocent!) and attract the attention of the Lorax (maybe he should have a points system like Krampus does?).

Better yet, a snarling Lorax replaces the treegaurd!

Better yet, a snarling Lorax replaces the treegaurd!

Or both! 

I was thinking about the krampus system for the Lorax actually (except for trees, I don't know how I'm going to do it but I will figure it out). I don't want to rid of the treeguards, but, rather, add the Lorax into the equation somehow...

(also that's such a good idea to make truffula fruit a droppable item for the truffula trees! Thanks, I will probably use that.)

All I see is black textures

( just letting you know that I'm using the mobile port of DS pocket edition) 

I was actually thinking that making a Lorax that shows up if you cut down too many of a certain tree