• The forum downloads section will be removed on Jan 1st 2023. Players may still download mods that are currently hosted, but new submissions are no longer being accepted. Mod makers are advised to relocate their mods to alternative hosting solutions.

The mod about buckets v1.4.0

1 Screenshot

About This File

This mod adds a very useful bucket to the game ! It can be filled with water and used for a couple of stuff.

Bucket is craftable with 2 boards and 1 rope. You can find it in the Survival tab.

You can obtain water bucket by filling empty bucket from a pond. You can do this 2 times before drying up the pond. Pond refills itself after about half a day of rain. You can fish only from a full pond.

Water bucket has durability (10 uses). With water bucket you can:

- extinguish normal and wildfires (-1 use)

- cool yourself down by spilling it's content on you (adds 10 wetness per use, returns empty bucket)

- put in in the icebox and make ice ! (in about two days)

You can obtain ice bucket by putting water bucket in the ice box and letting it to freeze.

To get ice from the ice bucket, you have to break it with the hammer. Amount of yielded ice depends on percentage usage of water bucket used to make ice bucket.

Mod is compatible with "Breakable Ice" mod:

Steam Workshop:

Credits:

Thanks @Cacahuatoforo for the art, testing and ideas

Thanks @_Q_ for helping me understand how actions works

Have fun playing with my mod :grin:

What's New in Version v1.4.0   See changelog

Released

• v1.4.0:
  • - made compatible with Shipwrecked DLC

• v1.3.2:
  • - fixed a bug that caused a water bucket to be stored inside a burning chest instead of extinguishing it
  • - extinguishing burning objects now makes them wet, temporally protecting them from catching fire again, the protection lasts 5 to 20 seconds
  • - cleaned up code and unused files
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

It's WIP, I don't have much time right now, but I'm trying to rewrite my mod to be cross-compatible, so, stay tuned ;)

Thanks a lot for releasing compatible version! Trying it now and testing at once.

I've had few occasions to test it extensively. Overall, works great and as advertised, with exception of one bug. I also have minor suggestion:

Bug:
While trying to extinguish burning chest, the bucket was put inside chest, instead of putting fire down.

Suggestion:
It would be nice, if you could also use it on world objects, to increase their wetness (just like they get wet during rain). Wet things aren't as happy to catch fire, so by splashing most important base structures regularly, one could create a "fire screen".

Also, after being extinguished, things would be wet, so would not catch fire instantly.  Now, if few things burn close to each other, you may extinguish one, but it catches fire again in less than a second (which is unlikely for wet thing), creating never-ending loop, that no amount of full buckets can extinguish.

Cheers,
/Estel

Bug:

While trying to extinguish burning chest, the bucket was put inside chest, instead of putting fire down.

Hmm, looks like it's related to action priorities, this should be fixable...

Suggestion:

It would be nice, if you could also use it on world objects, to increase their wetness (just like they get wet during rain). Wet things aren't as happy to catch fire, so by splashing most important base structures regularly, one could create a "fire screen".

Hmm... It adds a lot of micromanagement... I think that this suggestion is interesting, but adds a lot of effort to the usage of bucket, and needs a development of a new action ("Make wet", or something)... It will be a lot of work to implement that soooo... Sorry but no.

Suggestion:

(...)

Also, after being extinguished, things would be wet, so would not catch fire instantly.  Now, if few things burn close to each other, you may extinguish one, but it catches fire again in less than a second (which is unlikely for wet thing), creating never-ending loop, that no amount of full buckets can extinguish.

Now, that's a good suggestion, it makes a lot of sense... And should be semi-easily doable...

I'm going to consider updating this mod, but I'm (as always) lacking time right now... I'll post a comment when I figure out how to approach bugs/suggestions above and start working on them.

Cheers =)

• Like 1

Okay, so I fixed that bug with action priorities (it was as simple as changing "Action()" to "Action(1)" =) )

I've also added that feature with things not lighting up on fire again after extinguishing... I made a hook in the propagator component that simply prevents the extinguished object from heating back up (and lighting up again). It's kind of ugly solution, because you can't see if the object is protected or not, but it works.

How much, in your opinion @Estel, should and object be protected from the fire ? 5/10/15/20/30 sec ? Make it variable (like a random range, from 10 to 20 for ex.) ?

I think that variable 5-15 would work great - for most situations, you should be "almost" able to extinguish everything in 5 seconds with full bucket already in equipment, so  it would give enought time in most cases (sometimes, even more than required), with nasty surprises from time to time - just enough to add spice to fire-fighting ;), without making it plain irritating.

Who knows, might require additional tweaking after some in-game testing.

Thanks for working on it!
/Estel

Just updated to v1.3.2, fixed a bug with storing the bucket instead of extinguishing the chest and added the fire protection after extinguishing. I made it 5 to 20 seconds of protection, it should suffice :-) Have fun playing/testing and report any issues ;-)

Thanks a lot! After returning from vacations, I will surely playtest it.

Cheers,
/Estel

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, is DST version as possibility? It works like a charm for base DS:ROG.

//Edit
What is status of compatibility with Shipwrecked?

Edited by Estel

On 1.04.2016 at 2:24 AM, Estel said:

What is status of compatibility with Shipwrecked?

I just looked here and saw that people want to have this mod updated and because it was quite popular. My schedule is tight but I think I can figure something out, now that I have a working SW DLC :)

EDIT: Updated successfully for SW DLC :D

Edited by DevilXD
  • Like 1